PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots OTAs 6/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Post all OTA news in here. articles, tweets, thoughts if you are actually watching it.

Jeff Howe‏@jeffphowe 56m56 minutes ago

Sammy Morris is here at practice assisting with the running backs. Looks like he could still play.

sign the beast?

@DougKyedNESN: The Patriots have a new kicker and linebacker on the field for OTAs.

@jeffphowe: Light practice. Brady was 11 of 12 with a drop in 7 on 7s.

According to wiki, Morris is a HS assistant coach in Attleboro.

Is kicker a spot of concern?

@jeffphowe: Light practice. Brady was 11 of 12 with a drop in 7 on 7s.

I had read somewhere that the Pats are consistently near the top in dropped passes by receivers.

I look at that number in a few ways...
1) The are consistently at the top in passes thrown and receptions...IE...more your throw, the more drops you have.
2) You can say that from 2010-2014, they Pats have not had elite WRs.
3) Brady is not as accurate as we believe him to be.

Anyone have any thoughts? I plan on digging into this.

With Wright being cut- who didn't drop a pass all year there is a risk that the team's drop % will go up.

With all the problems in the world today, I choose to solve this mystery. :p

I had read somewhere that the Pats are consistently near the top in dropped passes by receivers.

Over what period? Ahern and Welker had hands issues for a few years and 2013 was a mess with the youngsters. That alone would explain the past 4-5 years without having to look for any deeper meaning.

Over what period? Ahern and Welker had hands issues for a few years and 2013 was a mess with the youngsters. That alone would explain the past 4-5 years without having to look for any deeper meaning.

I agree. Here is the article that piqued my interest.
http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/6/3/5775430/patriots-receivers-drop-it-like-its-hot

In my research I found this.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2014/

Kinda challenges the 1st article above.

Apparently Matt Flynn was worked out.

Um...

I thought deflated footballs were easier to catch? Why all the drops?

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 21m21 minutes ago
Malcolm Butler said he has been practicing all week (Monday, Tuesday, today), so his official tally of missed practices was six.

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 21m21 minutes ago
That was the one detail I couldn't nail down yesterday, which led to me writing "nearly three weeks" just in case you're keeping score.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 2h2 hours ago
Patriots OTA concluding. Notable observation is presence of a second kicker to take some of the load off Stephen Gostkowski, who didn't kick

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 2h2 hours ago
Brady, Gronk and Scott Chandler had a couple more side sessions on an adjacent field during special teams drills.

Good to see Butler was back and competing for a starting role. Looks like it'll be three of Butler, Ryan, Fletcher and McClain.

Also looks like Brady is working hard at developing chemistry with Chandler. Expecting special things from him this year.

I don't think there's any cause for concern re: kicker; if the Pats had intended to get a replacement for Gostkowski, they would have been more proactive about it (and we'd know who the kicker is by now).

It is a bit concerning, though, that the deadline for extending Gostkowski is coming up in a few weeks.

I don't think there's any cause for concern re: kicker; if the Pats had intended to get a replacement for Gostkowski, they would have been more proactive about it (and we'd know who the kicker is by now).

It is a bit concerning, though, that the deadline for extending Gostkowski is coming up in a few weeks.

July 15th, plenty of time, until then I expect some other moves so they'll use this window until its limit.

Report is Pats have signed Flynn

Gost signed his tender.

Good to see Butler was back and competing for a starting role. Looks like it'll be three of Butler, Ryan, Fletcher and McClain.

Great news, all things considered.

According to wiki, Morris is a HS assistant coach in Attleboro.

Is kicker a spot of concern?
Certainly hope not when we gave Gostkowski the franchise tag over McCourty and guaranteed him the highest cap hit of any kicker in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST