PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots looking at Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOhnnyBravo

Rookie
Reaction score
Forgive me... I know it's frowned upon, but I had to wonder if anyone else reads that "other" site with their draft coverage?

They're reporting that the Pats are keeping close tabs on a Fresno State DB named Marshall.

The only thing I found was a Curran article stating that the Pats might consider Marshall.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/patriots/

and this cool video from another site:

I guess I'm reviving the old thread here:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=30473

http://www.draftshowcase.com/RichardMarshall.wmv

you can also go to their main site and click on the link from there.
http://www.draftshowcase.com/

I'm psyched because he's another guy from Fresno State and that seemed to work out so well last year with Sanders and Mankins.

How good can this guy be?

Last edited:
JOhnnyBravo said:
I'm psyched because he's another guy from Fresno State and that seemed to work out so well last year with Sanders and Mankins.
I wouldn't say it worked very well with Sanders... yet, at least.

Fresno State

Mankins had a nice first year and looks like a solid player for sereval years. Sanders is another matter. This camp coming up is key for him. I am intrigued by Marshall also but who knows how things will go come draft weekend. :confused:

Marshall is a Belichick type player and being from Fresno State doesn't hurt. My feeling is we'll make more of a need pick in round 1, like S, OL or WR but would possibly trade up for Marshall in the second round. Complicating that, though, is the second round looks very good for OG.

drew4008 said:
I wouldn't say it worked very well with Sanders... yet, at least.

True, but, he showed me enough to be encouraged about this guy. He may be very good, when/if he can grasp a full understanding of the system and his position.

Sanders was so young coming out and so in and out with injuries, it's real tough to judge him based on last year. Harrison's praise of him should mean something, though.

FWIW, I was just looking at Kiper's latest chat and he thinks Marshall is a 3rd-4th round guy. He thinks he came out too early but he basically seems to like him.

BelichickFan said:
FWIW, I was just looking at Kiper's latest chat and he thinks Marshall is a 3rd-4th round guy. He thinks he came out too early but he basically seems to like him.

That cinches it - we're drafting him in round 2.

re:

Yeah I remember this thread from two months ago.

He looks good, around a 3rd rounder.

It's hard to judge players from 2 minute highlight films. For example, Rashaun Woods' video made him look like the next Jerry Rice and he's done nothing so far.

Last edited:
It's a real deep CB class, so it's hard to guess where alot of them will go until at least the combine. When it comes to CBs, speed is really all that counts leading up to the draft. Look at the last few years with guys like Robinson, Carroll, Rogers, and Washington shooting up boards after blazing times. Cromartie has said he can do some real amazing stuff physically, so I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the first CB taken if he wows scouts.

drew4008 said:
When it comes to CBs, speed is really all that counts
Didn't we had the slowiest CBs in the league in 2001, with the combo of Law, O.T.I.S and Buckley?

Personally, I think quickness in a CB is more important than speed. Raw speed is no good if you can't react to the cuts a WR makes. Also, speed olny means you can stay with a WR on a GO route. It doesn't mean you can cover him while running alongside him.

Let everyone else draft by speed/height tape measurements. Let the Pats stick with guys who can produce regardless of what the tape measure says.

spacecrime said:
Didn't we had the slowiest CBs in the league in 2001, with the combo of Law, O.T.I.S and Buckley?

Personally, I think quickness in a CB is more important than speed. Raw speed is no good if you can't react to the cuts a WR makes. Also, speed olny means you can stay with a WR on a GO route. It doesn't mean you can cover him while running alongside him.

Let everyone else draft by speed/height tape measurements. Let the Pats stick with guys who can produce regardless of what the tape measure says.
I mean draftwise. The faster they run, the higher their stock goes. I know that physical attributes aren't what makes a player, but it is the #1 thing to assess when drafting a prospect.

We'll have to see where Cromartie goes. Straight ahead speed isn't usually the issue with torn ACL returns, it's lateral quickness, cutting, etc. Which is kind of important for a CB :)

ya

BelichickFan said:
Sanders was so young coming out and so in and out with injuries, it's real tough to judge him based on last year. Harrison's praise of him should mean something, though.

Exactly; that's what i remember most about him last year! He had a tough year, but I expect things to turn around if he can stay healthy this year!

BelichickFan said:

Some Mocks have him going in round 1. I'm having a hard time distinguishing where players may go in the draft. How the first 3 rounds of the draft play out is anyone's guess. It will likely be determined by team needs.

I think we would hav e to be very lucky for Marshall to fall to us in the second round.
He has good smarts, quickness and ball skills, attributes high on the bb radar for DBs.
As a rookie I think he could contribute in dime situations, but I also expect him to have the same problem that Sanders had last season. A lack of physical maturity. I expect him to be dinged up most of his rrokie season.
But even that would not preclude me from taking him in the second if we got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News