PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Legal Counsel Rebuttal of Wells Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but the person that controls the appeal process is influenced by public opinion and litigation- not his own convictions.

The narrative/rebuttal is n important part of their appeal & legal strategy.

Goodell is a true believer and a crusader, and his office is being derided in this response. This response is just going to piss him off.

Some danger in releasing this document.
Presumably some of this content would be the argument in the appeal.
When presented at an appeal, it makes a strong argument.
When presented well early in a public forum, it provides the opportunity to continue to discredit the facts.

Possibly the lawyers and team officials have determined that Goodell has become swayed by public opinion polls. Recent polls showed acceptance of the Wells report at face value. If an alternative interpretation becomes accepted, maybe Goodell will be similarly swayed by changing public opinion, as he clearly was in the Rice and Peterson discipline, and offer the public apology originally requested by Kraft.

I continue to find the only valid conclusion from this episode is the incompetence of league judgment. Truly amazing that one can be as successful as Goodell has been without any judgment. There are lots of stories of people overcoming misfortunes and disabilities - successful dyslexic lawyers, successful executives lacking any empathy or emotional intelligence, successful financial leaders with no moral or ethical capabilities. A strong work ethic and high intelligence can overcome many personality defects. Goodell exhibits no capability at judgment, but has been able to rise to a very prominent position of leadership.

The Patriots response should have been

"We're on to the appeal".

Instead, they've now needlessly locked themselves into a narrative.

That narrative is also called the truth. I don't see the harm in this, they've addressed essentially every questionable point in the Wells report as well as all the common questions that it resulted in.

Also enjoyed the take on the minute and 40 seconds in the bathroom.

The sad thing is that this site throws a lot of doubt at the Wells report, but people will focus on the Deflator and ESPN text explanations.

Sad to say, it's the only thing they can understand and relate to, hardly anyone went to college and took Physics to know about the Ideal Gas Law and such.

So some good DID come out from all this baloney: I'M NOT LETTING MY KID HAVE A CELL PHONE UNTIL AT LEAST 15!!!

Regarding the "needles" explanation, no mention in the Wells report if any refs of prior games were ever interviewed to determine if McNally indeed had to seek out additional needles for the refs to use on the multiple gauges.

Only a human being without the ability to think or reason would be so stupid as to take that approach.

So, you're probably correct with about 90-95 percent of the country.

Like I said, they are fighting public perception.

They had to be more aware what that kind rebuttal was gonna do. Unless they're oblivious.

That narrative is also called the truth. I don't see the harm in this, they've addressed essentially every questionable point in the Wells report as well as all the common questions that it resulted in.

Ask most attorneys if they enjoy tipping their hands ahead of time, as a general rule. I'll leave it at that.

This report is the beginning of the end of Goodell's tenure. I'm also pretty sure Wells will not be hired again by the NFL...

I have no issue with the "Deflator" comments if they have a narrative from the past that explains the context of it. Because they have clear cut proof (long before ball pressure became a public issue) that deflator implied something else they should use it.

The fact that science also show that there was no tampering, along with all the gauge nonsense and failure to show at any time that there was nefarious behavior only back that claim. lets not even get into the whole sting issue.

Roger meet Tommy ....... Now we need to see the vid of Kensel in the Telephone booth when he gets the news. :D

Thats what i was thinking of, but the video ended before De-nero explains what happened and says 'And thats that'.

I'm just waiting for the report that the NFL has proof that the pats stashed a needle inside the toilet or some ******** like that

I ain't got time for this anymore.

See ya in the superbowl goodell

Pats and their lawyers obviously know best but wish they had fought this out in an appeal and court in close doors.They cant fight the media and public which is never going to buy them, Now they make goodell even more mad and he aint signing up for an independent arbitrator.

Like I said, they are fighting public perception.

They had to be more aware what that kind rebuttal was gonna do. Unless they're oblivious.

I expect they knew the text area was the weak link, but felt they couldn't just ignore it. If they had, the response would have been "Why didn't they answer about the text? There's your prof that they are guilty!"

Rock/hard place

That's another reason why I don't like this being released.

The Patriots response should have been

"We're on to the appeal".

Instead, they've now needlessly locked themselves into a narrative.

Maybe they felt it was worth combating the narrative now. The Pats have been getting savaged pretty good in the public arena.

Oh f*ck off Breer

@AlbertBreer
Patriots cite having run "far more offensive plays" than the Colts in the first half .... New England ran 41 plays, Indy ran 30.

TOP of possesion was

17:40 Pats to 12:20 Colts

5 minutes and 20 seconds it pretty significant you idiot

I'm a lawyer and I agree. But in these circumstances, I think there is a goal of having Goodell appoint a truly independent arbitrator to hear the appeal.
It could be that they are trying to show that bias, no matter who is showing it is derailing the process from coming to a fair conclusion based on facts. I know that facts are a dirty word here because it may show that the Patriots are innocent but this may be a way to force the neutral issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back