PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Expected to Tender LB Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another year another Woods thread, hey now you guys won't be laughing when someone signs him and forfeits their second round pick :D

can you list all the starter who make 2 million this year. maybe some do but it might part of a big contract not 1 yr deal. again is your list of problem with pats where does 2 million for woods stand?

Wes Welker for one. Pierre Woods would have the 13th highest salary with the second round tender. Do I really have to explain what's wrong with that picture? Instead of asking me for a list, why don't you use Miquel's page and find out for yourself instead of asking me to make your argument for you-it's right on this site.

Welker at $1.9 million
7 others between $2-3 million
4 at $3 million and above

Last edited:
Look at it this way.

For a decent ST player, which is really all that I considered Woods to be and no more, no less, you can pay someone 1M less and you can give that 1M to lure a Deion Branch or whomever. In the age of the salary CAP every 1M payout factors into other decisions.

Pierre Woods doesn't belong on a roster.

2010 isn't going to be part of the age of the salary CAP.

Wes Welker for one. Pierre Woods would have the 13th highest salary with the second round tender. Do I really have to explain what's wrong with that picture? Instead of asking me for a list, why don't you use Miquel's page and find out for yourself instead of asking me to make your argument for you-it's right on this site.

Welker at $1.9 million

Woods i thought was a starter on special teams . so my question was why you want to replace him with a backup or someone off the road when he does his job for 2 million .

Woods i thought was a starter on special teams . so my question was why you want to replace him with a backup or someone off the road when he does his job for 2 million .

Woods is worth Vet Minimum at the most - Both he AND Alexander should be making 2 Million TOTAL

Last edited:
Classic. The eyes don't lie and you know more than BB, yup blame it on the koolaid :rolleyes:

Time will tell
As far as Woods.......
Jury is already out schill
Have another gulp of Koolaid pal

Woods is worth Vet Minimum at the most - Both he AND Alexander should be making 2 Million TOTAL

This might suprise you but you do not set the value .Its set by NFL FA market. If he is not tendered i have a feeling that a team that looking to say pick a LB in 3rd rd say like crabel or mczenie type might say instead of taking a flyer why not just sign him and he will play in all spl teams and in emergency spot in.

I can't understand it either

BB should have tendered a guy that has been much better over his years here...Alexander :rolleyes:

I start to wonder if Belichick is going through the change of life when he does unexplainable moves like this

No kidding. He clearly is losing it. I am still trying to figure out what was going thru the old fools head when he kept Cassel and cut Gurtz. I mean it was obvious to everyone on this forum that Gurtz looked better in pre-season and Cassel ought be cut. And history proved us right. Cassel failed to lead the team to the playoffs. Gutz probably would have.

Welker at $1.9 million

You left out Welker's signing bonus allocation, roster bonus, and workout bonus. Apples to oranges. And 13th highest is essentially meaningless, given the number of free agents that, when signed, will be making well north of Woods' $2M

Last edited:
You left out Welker's signing bonus allocation, roster bonus, and workout bonus. Apples to oranges. And 13th highest is essentially meaningless, given the number of free agents that, when signed, will be making well north of Woods' $2M

Once again someone using the future as a foundation of their argument. Care to mention who and for how much? Untill you can do that, your argument is "essentially meaningless". Pierre Woods should only see $2 million on a contract when that contract is for four years.

Pierre Woods would have the 13th highest salary with the second round tender.

Apples to apples.

Last edited:
Once again someone using the future as a foundation of their argument. Care to mention who and for how much? Untill you can do that, your argument is essentially meaningless. Pierre Woods should only see $2 million on a contract when that contract is for four years.

Pierre Woods would have the 13th highest salary with the second round tender.

Apples to apples.

So you're comparing salaries with absolutely no regard whatsoever for bonuses of any form? In that case, good job comparing meaningless numbers that don't actually say anything about anything.

As for who will be making more than Woods once signed: Wilfork, Bodden (or his replacement), the #3WR that we're going to sign in FA, Faulk, whatever FA LB we end up picking up to replace Burgess, whatever TE we end up picking up to replace Watson, Banta-Cain if we re-sign him, just for starters. Hard to say ahead of time, but the #13 ranking is meaningless at the moment, when there are only 53 players under contract, including inevitable practice-squadders and likely TC cuts.

Meanwhile, for $2M, in an un-capped year, on a one year contract that won't hurt the Pats at all in the likely event of a 2011 lockout, we get an excellent ST player and capable backup linebacker who knows the system inside and out. Maybe you don't see the value in guys like that, but Belichick clearly does.

Last edited:
Whats all the hub-bub about? This year is looking uncapped, so who cares? Maybe some fool will try to sign him and we can laugh all the way to the draft!

So you're comparing salaries with absolutely no regard whatsoever for bonuses of any form? In that case, good job comparing meaningless numbers that don't actually say anything about anything.

As for who will be making more than Woods once signed: Wilfork, Bodden (or his replacement), the #3WR that we're going to sign in FA, Faulk, whatever FA LB we end up picking up to replace Burgess, whatever TE we end up picking up to replace Watson, Banta-Cain if we re-sign him, just for starters. Hard to say ahead of time, but the #13 ranking is meaningless at the moment, when there are only 53 players under contract, including inevitable practice-squadders and likely TC cuts.

Meanwhile, for $2M, in an un-capped year, on a one year contract that won't hurt the Pats at all in the likely event of a 2011 lockout, we get an excellent ST player and capable backup linebacker who knows the system inside and out. Maybe you don't see the value in guys like that, but Belichick clearly does.

1. Signing bonuses have already been paid
2. All of three players have roster bonuses due (Brady, Koppon, Welker)
3. Everybody gets a reporting bonus

How in the world could you possibly call an argument backed up with facts meaningless while at the same time using Imaginary Land as the basis for yours? How do you know Wilfork or Faulk or TBC will be re-signed or who their replacements will be or what they'll be paid? Here' the answer - you don't. Maybe they will decide that Brace will be Wilfork's replacement or that Weatley and Wilhite will replace Bodden because he wants too much money . I would rather overpay Wilfork or Bodden or even TBC than see them pay a pure special teamer that kind of money.$2million being spent on Woods could be better spent on just about anyone else and is a serious misappropriation of funds.

Last edited:

Koolaid here...........Get your iced-cold Koolaid..............

Give it up, Pierre Woods isn't worthy of a 53 man roster spot never mind a 2M tender.

1. Signing bonuses have already been paid

Yes... and the portion that is prorated for 2010 is signing bonus paid for 2010 performance. To ignore the fact that $2 million of Welker's signing bonus is allocated for 2010 is to ignore a full 50% of the picture to suit your asinine argument. It makes no sense. In terms of time-value of money, that $2M is actually MORE valuable because it was paid back in 2007, but for the sake of simplifying things let's ignore that.

2. All of three players have roster bonuses due (Brady, Koppon, Welker)

Yes, and since we're talking about Welker, that is a pretty important point.

How in the world could you possibly call an argument backed up with facts meaningless while at the same time using Imaginary Land as the basis for yours?

Your argument is based on some facts. Wherever possible, you have selectively omitted every relevant fact that you could to suit your argument, and in the process you've destroyed its credibility, because you're making inept comparisons that don't show anything comparisons. By your awesome logic, Tom Brady is due to make $3.7 million this year, and Jerod Mayo is making $550K. These numbers are all irrelevant, compared to Woods' figure, because they're all half (or less) of the real picture.

How do you know Wilfork or Faulk or TBC will be re-signed or who their replacements will be or what they'll be paid? Here' the answer - you don't.

I know that someone will be starting at NT, 3DRB, and OLB for us next year. I'm also certain that we're not going to go into the season with less than a full roster's worth of players under contract, and that we're going to use the money that we have on hand to secure the services of football players. When that is all said and done, I am absolutely, 100% positive that Woods will not be the 13th highest-paid New England Patriot. If I have said anything that is even remotely questionable in this paragraph, feel free to point it out.

Maybe they will decide that Brace will be Wilfork's replacement or that Weatley and Wilhite will replace Bodden because he wants too much money . I would rather overpay Wilfork or Bodden or even TBC than see them pay a pure special teamer that kind of money.

Maybe they will. And in that case, they'll put the money to use somewhere else, attracting premium talent for some other portion of the roster. Unless you think they're going to let Wilfork walk rather than tag him, only to not use that money to upgrade anywhere else either.

$2million being spent on Woods could be better spent on just about anyone else and is a serious misappropriation of funds.

$2 million for a backup linebacker and ST ace is slight overpayment normally. Given the current state of our OLBs, I'd say that it's prudent. FWIW, Belichick seems to agree with my assessment.

Last edited:

Give it up, Pierre Woods isn't worthy of a 53 man roster spot never mind a 2M tender.

Eggs-actly, Batman.

The Woods & Alexander Experiments are ovah, and have been a Failure.
Time to bring in 2 more candidates; maybe we'll have better luck with them.

Eggs-actly, Batman.

The Woods & Alexander Experiments are ovah, and have been a Failure.
Time to bring in 2 more candidates; maybe we'll have better luck with them.

Learn football, then post. Special teams are a BIG part of winning football games.

Give it up, Pierre Woods isn't worthy of a 53 man roster spot.

Says the same know-it-alls who claimed that Matt Cassel wasn't worth of a 53 man roster spot coming out of camp in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back