PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Defense Has Locked Down When It's Counted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, they have been exceedingly consistent.

When there is a big lead. Go into some sort of prevent mode and give up yardage.

Chade Henne, Jason Campbell, Mark Sanchez, Vince Young, Dan Orlovsky all have career days and..............get blown out.

I went back through the season and looked at the second half where they were up 4 scores and the fourth quarter up by 2 scores.

Totals: 88 minutes, 66 points, 1252 yards.

If you prorate the numbers for the other 872 minutes, it's 362 yards and 18.8 points.

That's 20th yardage and 4th points.

Interesting numbers - proof we play different with a sizable lead. Would also like to see TOP and number of possessions - the no-huddle reduces the time that the offense is on the field, and it also feels like we've had more than the usual number of 3 and outs.

With Chung and Spikes back, BB has to be happy that with all the negatives about the D this year, he's got most of his playmakers back. The team has had time to adjust to all the losses at db and has built some depth as a result. I think they're going to be much more effective in these home playoff games. Against Cinci or Pitt, I see us winning a 27-23 type of game. Against Baltimore, more like 23-16.

SB will be a whole different story - both teams in the 40's and will break all ratings records.

Minus the first Bills game and against the Giants. Which is somewhat worrisome because they'll be playing Manning tier QBs in the playoffs, not Matt Moore or Fitzpatrick.

Big Ben is the only QB in the AFC playoffs that I would put in Eli Manning's class. The rest are either better (Brady), in the Matt Moore/Ryan Fitzpatrick division (Dalton, Flacco), or something far worse (Yates/Delhomme, Tebow).

Yes but it's still worrisome to give up the points they are giving up. When you're averaging 20+ PA against the crap offenses we are facing, that is not good. The opposition is only going to get tougher. And aside from Indy/Philly, these are not garbage points but important, relevant scores given up. The yardage isn't as much of a concern but the red zone defense has not been as good lately. You can have your slow starts, like the Jets were notorious for in the '09-'10 seasons, but you have to be able to weather the storm. Make key stops, force FG attempts. That hasn't been happening lately.

Hopefully the new wrinkle of Moore at CB/McCourty at safety if used makes a difference. Also the addition of Spikes/Chung.

I was at the Oakland game. With 50 seconds left in the game, the Raiders drove 99 yards and scored a touchdown.....down 31-13.

With 4 minutes left Week One, the Dolphins were down 38-17.

That's pretty much garbage.

I would also recommend watching the Bills game from Sunday.

You do like realize that for the final three quarters, the Bills like got shutout and turned the ball over four times.........

After watching ya might want to review the concept of "adjustments" and "weathering the storm".

While your at it, might also want to watch the final four games.

Not much work went into that piece.

A better defensive indicator is that the Patriots lead the AFC in takeaways at plus 17 and are third in the NFL behind only - you guessed it - Green Bay and San Francisco.

The Ravens are a measly +2 and the Steelers are the worst in the AFC at -13. The Steelers enter the playoffs as a mess with Roethlisberger hobbling and Mendenhall out.
Right.

You keep hearing takeaways are the biggest indicator in winning games. Brady said after the 4-turnover game, "You can't expect to win turning the ball over 4 times".

That and having the best QB BY FAR in the playoffs will get this team to the SB. Now it would be nice to draw the Falcons, but I think by February, we'll be ready for anybody. I fear only the 49ers, because only they can deal with our offense, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back