PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOT64'S 2008 First Round draft mock and Patriots 8 draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
O.K. Guys I know predicting this thing is tough,But lets make believe I am a virgin and treat me that way with a little gentleness on my mock draft of the Patriots 8 picks and I will attempt the first round of the draft as well...

As always there are guys who are drafted up in the early first round who were not expected there and some guys who were expected to go early but drop down sharply and I expect the same this year

Here goes...

1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT...

1 - Jake Long - Miami Dolphins - This may be already done before saturday
2- Glenn Dorsey - LA Rams - Would be a mistake to that defense if they didn't take him here
3 - Chris Long - Atlanta Falcons - Falcons get a gift and Chris drops to #3
4 - Sedrick Ellis - Oakland Raiders - Raiders cringe when Howie's son is gone and go for the next best defensive athlete
5 - Keith Rivers- Kansas City Chiefs - KC finally gets an athlete who should be a fine pro pass rusher on a team who had little pressure in that area in 2007 other than Allen and he is all but gone this year.
6 - Matt Ryan - NY Jets - SURPRISE PICK: The Jets groom this guy for the near future with a shaky QB duo of Klemens and Pennington
7- Vernon Gholston- New England Patriots - Just the kind of versatile OLB/DE the Patriots need and love and a great fit on this team
8 - Leodis McKelvin - Baltimore Ravens - The Ravens are shocked by Ryan getting scooped up by the Jets so they go for the one area of defense that is not so strong at corner
9- Tyrell Johnson - Cincinnati Bengals - Another surprise on a guy who is not picked by many to go up this far but Cincy needs a SS badly and this guy is a good fit - however Cinn will take a long look at McFadden before staying with Rudi and Co.
10 - Darren McFadden - Dallas Cowboys via trade (In trade giving up #22 and #28 for #10 spot of Saints)
11 - Antoine Cason - Buffalo Bills - I like Cason and I think he will go up higher than expected and the Bills still need a decent corner to replace last years loss of Clements
12 - Branden Albert - Denver Broncos - While the Broncos have more defensive needs than offensive I say if Albert is still on the board they take him here to protect thier young QB Cutler and go defense most of later rounds
13- Devin Thomas - Carolina Panthers - While Steve Smith is one of the best in the game the Panthers need a serious threat opposite him to pose other receiver danger,Thomas is the best WR in this draft
14 - Joe Flacco - Chicago Bears - SURPRISE PICK: I think the Bears have had it at the QB position with Rex and Orton and will move early to get the next best QB in this draft and Flacco has the arm and accuracy that has not been seen in Chicago in quite a while
15 - Derrick Harvey - Detroit Lions - The Lions have been reported as salivating over Harvey if he is still on the board when its thier turn and they don't hesitate,This might be the quickest selection in the first round
16 - Dominique Rodgers Cromartie - Arizona Cardinals - Many pick him in this spot to go to Arizona and I feel its gonna be a perfect spot for him to be drafted
17- Ryan Clady - Minnesota Vikings- This is another weird selection per say but with only an average QB and some new blood at WR the team selects a guy who should give the QB more time to throw - an immediate starter on that line
18- Jonathan Stewart - Houston Texans - Goes a bit higher than Mendenhall but I think hes an overall better prospect and the Texans make a tough choice for the solid bright future at a position that is getting old on thier team
19- Limas Sweed - Philadelphia Eagles - This WR has gone up the charts in many mocks lately and I think would be a great receiver on a team that has not had one since Owens left
20 - Mike Jenkins - Tampa Bay Buccanneers - They have Geno but I think depth in that position on that team is still too thin and still the weakest link of that defense
21 - Malcolm Kelly - Washington Redskins - Another team needing a WR badly and have not had a serious threat in quite some time at the position,This guy may be a very good fit
22 - Phillip Merling - New Orleans Saints via trade (From Dallas for #10) - Hard to pass on this good pass rushing defensive player and the Saints use one of the extra picks on a solid addition
23 - Chris Williams - Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers have a huge hole left by the departure of Faneca and this versatile guy should fill in nicely anywhere on that line
24- Cliff Avril - Tennessee Titans - Titans to add another solid defender and add depth to an already good group
25 - Rashard Mendenhall - Seattle Seahawks - The Seahawks have Julius Jones but need someone to help out behind him as Jones is a player that fits better with a 2 RB system - Alexander is all but gone
26 - Fred Davis - Jacksonville Jaguars - The Jags have been missing that big hulky type Tight End for some time now and Davis is the guy here in a surprise pick
27 - Chad Henne - Atlanta Falcons via trade (Atlanta sees Miami is all but certain to grab Henne in early 2nd so they give San Diego picks #48 and #68 for pick #27- Chargers gladly back out of Rd. 1 for extra 2nd rd. picks)
28 - Dan Connor - New Orleans Saints via trade (Saints use thier second pick of the trade with Dallas for another solid 1st round Linebacker to come from Penn State for the second straight year)
29 - DeSean Jackson - San Francisco 49ers - The type of super speedy and tall WR the 49ers can use badly and DeSean is also a special teams ace on returns
30 - Dustin Keller - Green Bay Packers - Since Franks is gone,GB has virtually no good TEs on that roster - this is a spot they need to fill early
31- WE GOT FU(KED!!
32 - Duane Brown - NY Giants - The offensive line can use some depth and Brown is decent value at #32 but they could certainly go LB here as well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Patriots 8 Picks Mock

1- VERNON GHOLSTON - DE/OLB
2 - JEREMY ZUTTAH - OT
3 (1st) - BEN MOFFIT - ILB
3 - (2nd) BRANDON KEITH - OG
4 - CHRIS HARRINGTON - LB in a 3/4 or DE
5 - PAUL HUBBARD - WR
6 - JED COLLINS - FB/TE
7 - TREY BROWN - CB (we lose Troy Brown but gain a Trey Brown :D)

Thanks for reading all this and any input from you is always appreciated,Thanks

Last edited:
If the draft actually played out like this, the yearly suicide rate in the nation would jump about 4000% all in one day.

If the draft actually played out like this, the yearly suicide rate in the nation would jump about 4000% all in one day.

I take it you disagree on a few things eh? ;)

I take it you disagree on a few things eh? ;)

I think it's an insane mock, to be honest, but that's not what I was referring to, because one mock is really not all that much 'worse' than another. However, just imagine the fan bases of the following two teams when they heard/saw the selections you gave to their teams:

Chiefs: Brody Croyle might commit suicide himself. Half the fans certainly would.

Bengals: Taking a safety when McFadden is available that far down the board? Get the suicide hotline people ready.

And that's just two groups up at the top without even delving into the number of suicides among the fan bases of the Raiders, Jets, Panthers, Bears, etc....

Last edited:
Get your lube ready, this might smart a lot.
So far nothing overly unconventional.

1-4. Fine.

5 - Keith Rivers- Kansas City Chiefs

The first HUGE reach of the draft. KC needs DL or OL help, not another linebacker. If they can't get either, they trade down.

6 - Matt Ryan - NY Jets

This is not too crazy to believe... but the Jets have bigger needs. McFadden would be the choice here. They had zero explosve offensive playmakers last season.

7- Vernon Gholston- New England Patriots

I don't object to this pick, I just believe that you've made two teams above the Pats make picks they wouldn't to lead to this result.

8 - Leodis McKelvin - Baltimore Ravens

Fine.

9- Tyrell Johnson - Cincinnati Bengals

Indeed the suicide hotline starts ringing madly in Cinci as they reach for a strong safety who doesn't even carry a 2nd round grade. In fact none of the safeties in this draft carry a 1st round grade, not even Phillips from Miami. This is a reach so monumental it leads one to remembering the Jets selecting monumental bust QB Ken O'Brien over future HOF QB Dan Marino.

10 - Darren McFadden - Dallas Cowboys via trade

Again McFadden should never make it this low in the draft. Cinci would more likely want to do a trade with Dallas rather than making the suicide inducing draft choice you suggested. If this trade did happen, Jerry Jones would likely be doing cartwheels. Although two 1st round picks is a heavy price to pay.

11 - Antoine Cason - Buffalo Bills

Another huge reach. Cason is a late 1st to middle of the 2nd round guy. More athletic cornerbacks are here for the picking if the Bills are inclined to go corner.

12 - Branden Albert - Denver Broncos

Not as monumental a reach for the Broncos as Albert's stock has been rising lately. I still don't think guards should be taken till around the 20 range, but whatever, do they need OL help.

13- Devin Thomas - Carolina Panthers

Meet the next Ted Gin Jr. The Panthers need help on the OL/DL more than a WR. They arleady have Steve Smith. One of the 3 remaining top rated tackles makes sense here: Clady, Otah, or Williams.

14 - Joe Flacco - Chicago Bears

Another huge reach that leaves me near speechless. If the Bears loved Flacco they would trade down to the late 20s and still get their man. In reality the #1 position I hear the Bears want, when I was last reading their boards is an OT. Again one of the Clady, Williams, Otah group fits best here. The other direction they can go is Mendenhall to replace "El Busto" Benson. But most likely they draft OL.

15-16. Wow a couple of NORMAL picks for once.

17- Ryan Clady - Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings big need is DL, particularly a large aggressive defensive end. That is why they are so interested in acquiring Jared Allen from KC. If they don't end up trading this pick for JA, look for them to take the best DE left on the board. The name I hear is Phillip Merling.

18- Jonathan Stewart - Houston Texans
19- Limas Sweed - Philadelphia Eagles
20 - Mike Jenkins - Tampa Bay Buccanneers
21 - Malcolm Kelly - Washington Redskins

No huge disagreements here. Perhaps the suicide rate won't be too high in Philly, Tampa, Houston, and Washington.

22 - Phillip Merling - New Orleans Saints via trade

I doubt Merling lasts until pick 22 if the Vikings selected him. The Saints do need help on the defensive line. They might go with a guy like Kentwan Balmer here.

23 - Chris Williams - Pittsburgh Steelers

Fine.

24- Cliff Avril - Tennessee Titans

Another big reach. It seems I've been using that phrase often so far.

25 - Rashard Mendenhall - Seattle Seahawks

This pick makes sense theoretically but Mendenhall should never drop this far down. Not with his talent level. Jonathan Stewart might go here.

26 - Fred Davis - Jacksonville Jaguars

Ambulances were working overtime in Jacksonville today as suicide rates went through the roof. This guy will be available in rounds 2-3.

27 - Chad Henne - Atlanta Falcons via trade

OK... if they love Henne that much. But Brohm and Flacco are both rated higher.

28 - Dan Connor - New Orleans Saints via trade

Did you even bother investigating the Saints team needs before giving them this stiff that shouldn't be drafted before the second round? They desperately need CB help. Give them the best remaining CB here, probably Jenkins or Talib.

29 - DeSean Jackson - San Francisco 49ers

This pick actually made sense. I'm not sure he lasts this long with the lack of depth at WR, but it's a fine pick if he does.

30 - Dustin Keller - Green Bay Packers

Wrong again. Give the Packers a young CB here. Both Harris and Woodson are on the wrong side of 30. Whoever remains of the Jenkins or Talib duo. Flowers might also enter the discussion.

31- WE GOT FU(KED!!

Goodell to Mangini - "The fix is ON, go!"

32 - Duane Brown - NY Giants

Another monumental reach. Duane Brown is a 3rd round pick on most mocks. Right position, but unlikely player. Cherilus is a higher rated choice at this point. Well you get credit for effort, but this draft would have the fans of half the teams in the league breaking their TVs. Did you get draft hints from Bobby Grier? JK. :p No seriously... Did you?? :D

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Patriots 8 Picks Mock

1- VERNON GHOLSTON - DE/OLB
2 - JEREMY ZUTTAH - OT
3 (1st) - BEN MOFFIT - ILB
3 - (2nd) BRANDON KEITH - OG
4 - CHRIS HARRINGTON - LB in a 3/4 or DE
5 - PAUL HUBBARD - WR
6 - JED COLLINS - FB/TE
7 - TREY BROWN - CB (we lose Troy Brown but gain a Trey Brown :D)

Thanks for reading all this and any input from you is always appreciated,Thanks

You're taking Zuttah and Moffit about 2 and 4 rounds, respectively, too early and I see no rhyme or reason to it.

Also, what is the point of drafting Hubbard? So he can sit on the bench and have no chance of making this team? From the WR position, the Pats need a returner. Hubbard isn't that.

Also, there is NO WAY the Pats wait until the 7th round to draft a CB. Not going to happen. Especially not on a SLOW and undersized CB like Trey Brown.

Last edited:
I don't see the Giants not selecting Cherilus if he's available at their pick. I don't expect him to be, but remember the whole Coughlin-BC thing? He likes BC players. He needs a lineman. It's an obvious fit.

Well I didn't expect this mock to be anywhere near perfect nor fully accepted or I would have put some players who are not expected as high in certain spots there but there are going to be surprises and probably ore than just a few and why not take a wild shot at some weird selections around the board and I did ALOT of research to find needs for these teams and even if that player does not fit in that certain spot it is a need on thier team somewhere on draft day based on studies at least 5 big draft boards for each team.

Remember last years selection of Ted Ginn at #9 and 2006 selection of Donte Whitner at #7 (who actually is a pretty good player) for some wacky unexpected picks annually

No mock is going to be perfect or even 30% right when all is said and done so I took my shot.

In reality I think I will connect on 2 of the Patriots picks and about 8 of the first round selections when its over.

Last edited:
I will honestly say that this is the worst mock draft i've seen to date. Yes, everybody does miss alot on mock drafts, but this one is terrible. Your wrong in a lot of areas. Duane Brown in the 1st round, Keith Rivers to KC WOW!

You're taking Zuttah and Moffit about 2 and 4 rounds, respectively, too early and I see no rhyme or reason to it.

Also, what is the point of drafting Hubbard? So he can sit on the bench and have no chance of making this team? From the WR position, the Pats need a returner. Hubbard isn't that.

Also, there is NO WAY the Pats wait until the 7th round to draft a CB. Not going to happen. Especially not on a SLOW and undersized CB like Trey Brown.

I think he started out operating under the assumption the only real weakness on the team is the right side of the OL but we can't take a player at #7 who would start and immediately upgrade at either of those positions if their is a DL with a hype factor still on the board whom we could pay $40M to as a OLB conversion project...so instead we take 2 OL and a potentially majorly character flawed 6th round ILB where all the CB value/depth lies. His mock therefore became a snowball rolling downhill.

Get your lube ready, this might smart a lot.
So far nothing overly unconventional.

1-4. Fine.

The first HUGE reach of the draft. KC needs DL or OL help, not another linebacker. If they can't get either, they trade down.

This is not too crazy to believe... but the Jets have bigger needs. McFadden would be the choice here. They had zero explosve offensive playmakers last season.

I don't object to this pick, I just believe that you've made two teams above the Pats make picks they wouldn't to lead to this result.

Fine.

Indeed the suicide hotline starts ringing madly in Cinci as they reach for a strong safety who doesn't even carry a 2nd round grade. In fact none of the safeties in this draft carry a 1st round grade, not even Phillips from Miami. This is a reach so monumental it leads one to remembering the Jets selecting monumental bust QB Ken O'Brien over future HOF QB Dan Marino.

Again McFadden should never make it this low in the draft. Cinci would more likely want to do a trade with Dallas rather than making the suicide inducing draft choice you suggested. If this trade did happen, Jerry Jones would likely be doing cartwheels. Although two 1st round picks is a heavy price to pay.

Another huge reach. Cason is a late 1st to middle of the 2nd round guy. More athletic cornerbacks are here for the picking if the Bills are inclined to go corner.

Not as monumental a reach for the Broncos as Albert's stock has been rising lately. I still don't think guards should be taken till around the 20 range, but whatever, do they need OL help.

Meet the next Ted Gin Jr. The Panthers need help on the OL/DL more than a WR. They arleady have Steve Smith. One of the 3 remaining top rated tackles makes sense here: Clady, Otah, or Williams.

Another huge reach that leaves me near speechless. If the Bears loved Flacco they would trade down to the late 20s and still get their man. In reality the #1 position I hear the Bears want, when I was last reading their boards is an OT. Again one of the Clady, Williams, Otah group fits best here. The other direction they can go is Mendenhall to replace "El Busto" Benson. But most likely they draft OL.

15-16. Wow a couple of NORMAL picks for once.

The Vikings big need is DL, particularly a large aggressive defensive end. That is why they are so interested in acquiring Jared Allen from KC. If they don't end up trading this pick for JA, look for them to take the best DE left on the board. The name I hear is Phillip Merling.

No huge disagreements here. Perhaps the suicide rate won't be too high in Philly, Tampa, Houston, and Washington.

I doubt Merling lasts until pick 22 if the Vikings selected him. The Saints do need help on the defensive line. They might go with a guy like Kentwan Balmer here.

Fine.

Another big reach. It seems I've been using that phrase often so far.

This pick makes sense theoretically but Mendenhall should never drop this far down. Not with his talent level. Jonathan Stewart might go here.

Ambulances were working overtime in Jacksonville today as suicide rates went through the roof. This guy will be available in rounds 2-3.

OK... if they love Henne that much. But Brohm and Flacco are both rated higher.

Did you even bother investigating the Saints team needs before giving them this stiff that shouldn't be drafted before the second round? They desperately need CB help. Give them the best remaining CB here, probably Jenkins or Talib.

This pick actually made sense. I'm not sure he lasts this long with the lack of depth at WR, but it's a fine pick if he does.

Wrong again. Give the Packers a young CB here. Both Harris and Woodson are on the wrong side of 30. Whoever remains of the Jenkins or Talib duo. Flowers might also enter the discussion.

Goodell to Mangini - "The fix is ON, go!"

Another monumental reach. Duane Brown is a 3rd round pick on most mocks. Right position, but unlikely player. Cherilus is a higher rated choice at this point. Well you get credit for effort, but this draft would have the fans of half the teams in the league breaking their TVs. Did you get draft hints from Bobby Grier? JK. :p No seriously... Did you?? :D

Pat Kirwin last week had McFadden going 13th to the Panthers,I have him higher up

Pat Kirwin last week had McFadden going 13th to the Panthers,I have him higher up

Pat Kirwin never had McFadden going 13th to Carolina, that was Rashard Mendenhall.

Unconventional, but why not? I don't see any reaches like Jeff Lageman at #14. For those that don't remember, that was the equivalent of the Patriots drafting Jamie Silva at #7, and in my mind, the reach that all subsequent reaches are measured against.

Pat Kirwin never had McFadden going 13th to Carolina, that was Rashard Mendenhall.

Actually, one of my favorite aspects of your draft is the way McFadden slides. With 3 highly rated RBs and the ever-popular character concerns, that's certainly a possibility.

Rivers to the Chiefs and Johnson to the Bengals I really, really don't get, though. Rivers is neither good value nor good need-filling at that spot. KC has made it clear that they're wide open to trade options, but if you're not willing to project trades you have to give them an OL, I think. Then send Rivers to Cinci, a good fit.

Is Tyrell Johnson even a first rounder let alone a top 15 pick?

Is Joe Flacco better than Henne or Brohm? :confused:

Unconventional, but why not? I don't see any reaches like Jeff Lageman at #14. For those that don't remember, that was the equivalent of the Patriots drafting Jamie Silva at #7, and in my mind, the reach that all subsequent reaches are measured against.

I remember when the Eagles selected Jon Harris in the mid-1st round and he was projected to be a 5th rounder or something. With good reason too, he never did anything of note in the NFL, playing two years and starting next to no games. Lageman, however, carved out a pretty good career for himself, playing for 10 years, starting on an AFC Championship runner-up (96 Jaguars) and recording 11 sacks in 1991. Certainly a superior career to the guy with two first names the Patriots got 2 picks later.

Last edited:
I remember when the Eagles selected Jon Harris in the mid-1st round and he was projected to be a 5th rounder or something. With good reason too, he never did anything of note in the NFL, playing two years and starting next to no games. Lageman, however, carved out a pretty good career for himself, playing for 10 years, starting on an AFC Championship runner-up (96 Jaguars) and recording 11 sacks in 1991. Certainly a superior career to the guy with two first names the Patriots got 2 picks later.

Oh, no doubt, he had a decent, workmanlike career....maybe on par with Greg Spires. But I've never seen such shock when the commish read the draft card. Who is this guy??

That was the Hart Lee Dykes draft, right? He and Rison were ranked 1 and 2 all year for WRs. Hart Lee was pretty good until he got blinded in that bar fight with the pre-preacher Irving.

Last edited:
LOL, now that I look over this draft again... it's good for the humor value alone. Sheer lunacy and chaos. Next time you try a mock draft, consult a top 100 list from a reputable guy like Gosselin first. Or maybe this was just your twisted attempt at humor? :D

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon.../stories/042508dnspodrafttop100.96c05034.html

Anyways this draft inspired me to try my hand at Bombay TV movies again!

LOL, now that I look over this draft again... it's good for the humor value alone. Sheer lunacy and chaos. Next time you try a mock draft, consult a top 100 list from a reputable guy like Gosselin first. Or maybe this was just your twisted attempt at humor? :D

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon.../stories/042508dnspodrafttop100.96c05034.html

Anyways this draft inspired me to try my hand at Bombay TV movies again!

Lets see you do yours and find out who has more right
Oh,Swami :)

I say I will have about 6 to 8 out of the 31 right - If I do thats a fantastic draft IMO

I don't know what the record is for having the most first round picks right but I bet its not even 20 of the 32 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back