PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Shaq got paid

What about the lack of depth - or starters for that matter - at Offensive Tackle?

It must be a 2 year plan. They are looking to complete the line (tackles) in 2024 and use vets in 2023. Hopefully Sow works out to be a RT for 2024 and we find a long term LT in next years draft. Probably need a young TE and WR, but with our cap room they might be targeting a TE in FA. Defense is pretty packed, so it must be LT and WR in next years draft to complete the rebuild.

Hopefully Douglas is a 3rd down back, and Mapu can be our spy and coverage LB - both positions have been lacking for years. Big if, but if they work out we are in good shape except for the young LT and WR1.

They don't have that many priority Free agents in 2024:
Dugger
Uche
Onwenu

Maybes:
Henry
Gesicki
Bourne
Bentley
Mills
Anfernee Jennings
Trent Brown

Probably Nots:
Parker
Riley Rieff
Slater
Cody Davis
Mack Wilson
RaeKwan McMillan

The Pats are looking at OVER 100 M in cap space. With 52 under contract. They could easily re-sign all the Priority and all the Maybes and still have plenty of money left over to address areas.
They also want to spread the wealth around. I'm not saying they won't sign Onwenu, just that they drafted three offensive linemen who can potentially play guard and won't be able to hide them all on the practice squad. Also they'll have to sign one of either Henry of Gesicki back, they can't afford to let them both walk. No rookie TE is going to come in and start.

They also want to spread the wealth around. I'm not saying they won't sign Onwenu, just that they drafted three offensive linemen who can potentially play guard and won't be able to hide them all on the practice squad. Also they'll have to sign one of either Henry of Gesicki back, they can't afford to let them both walk. No rookie TE is going to come in and start.
Again, well over 100M in cap space for 2024. And that is AFTER all the rookies this year sign.

Again, well over 100M in cap space for 2024. And that is AFTER all the rookies this year sign.
That money will get eaten up quickly. According to Spotrac the Patriots only have 48 players under contract for 2024, tied for third to last in fewest number of players under contract.

They'll have another good sized draft class next offseason, but will also have a lot of roster spots that need filling. Guard might be a luxury they might not be able to pay for, their draft this year was in preparation for 2024... it's not coincidence they took 2-3 interior linemen... depending on how they view Sow.

That money will get eaten up quickly. According to Spotrac the Patriots only have 48 players under contract for 2024, tied for third to last in fewest number of players under contract.

They'll have another good sized draft class next offseason, but will also have a lot of roster spots that need filling. Guard might be a luxury they might not be able to pay for, their draft this year was in preparation for 2024... it's not coincidence they took 2-3 interior linemen... depending on how they view Sow.
I wish people would stop using Spotrac. It's a crap site with unethical management.

So the Patswill have 48 people. FFS. The TOTAL roster is only 53. 69 with the PS. And Spotrac isn't counting the 4 unsigned rookies. When I stated the over $100M I was being conservative AND I was including the 4 unsigned Rookies. It's not going to go as fast as you think. Not by a long shot. They could resign Dugger, Onwenu, Henry and Gesicki to $100M/5yr contracts and still only take up $50M (or less) in cap space. I'm not the anti-fact brigade here. I've got a damn good understanding of the Sal Cap.

The Pats have 9 draft picks for next year. That's not taking up that much cap space.

As I've stated and people continue to ignore. The Pats try their best to prepare in advance for the POTENTIAL of losing a player. What they did is no different than when they drafted LIGHT, Vollmer, Cannon, and numerous others in advance of when they were needed. Light, Vollmer, Mason, Jackson, etc all were back-ups their rookie seasons. They only started because of Injuries.

I wish people would stop using Spotrac. It's a crap site with unethical management.
I don’t know anything about them beyond the data is usually up to date and easy to read… but feel free to enlighten me.
So the Patswill have 48 people. FFS. The TOTAL roster is only 53. 69 with the PS. And Spotrac isn't counting the 4 unsigned rookies. When I stated the over $100M I was being conservative AND I was including the 4 unsigned Rookies. It's not going to go as fast as you think. Not by a long shot. They could resign Dugger, Onwenu, Henry and Gesicki to $100M/5yr contracts and still only take up $50M (or less) in cap space. I'm not the anti-fact brigade here. I've got a damn good understanding of the Sal Cap.
The 48 I was referenced, there is some dead weight among them at the end of the depth chart… the amount of quality players signed isn’t as big as it seems because some are jags who will get cut, some will retire or get injured. We don’t need two long snappers, I know that much.
The Pats have 9 draft picks for next year. That's not taking up that much cap space.

As I've stated and people continue to ignore. The Pats try their best to prepare in advance for the POTENTIAL of losing a player. What they did is no different than when they drafted LIGHT, Vollmer, Cannon, and numerous others in advance of when they were needed. Light, Vollmer, Mason, Jackson, etc all were back-ups their rookie seasons. They only started because of Injuries.
I never said and don’t doubt they can afford all of their free agents if they want to, they can push money down the road.

I’m simply saying guard is surely a position that they could find some savings. This is dependent on the rookie linemen emerging and what Onwenu is offered on the open market. They wanted to keep Thuney as well, the deal he was offered by KC was extremely rich.

They wanted to keep Thuney as well, the deal he was offered by KC was extremely rich.

Agreed. But I also suspect that BB realistically knew the SB window was a few years away so he might as well save the cap space for the moment.

Agreed. But I also suspect that BB realistically knew the SB window was a few years away so he might as well save the cap space for the moment.
I think it had just as much to do with Onwenu’s level of play as a rookie and knowing where to create cap space.

This is why I assume Onwenu will be a luxury signing in 2024, he’ll probably get a stupid offer elsewhere and the Pats have already prepared for that by drafting Andrews, Mafi and Sow now.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back