PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Shaq got paid

50-yard-line

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Saw that Shaq Mason signed for 3/36 with 22 guaranteed with the Texans.

PFF had him as the 6th-rated guard last year, for what it's worth.

Putting on the speculation cap, if Onwenu stays at guard, I doubt he's staying - I would expect the Pats to keep fitting in rookie deal pieces/older vets on short money, etc. Maybe they'll change their stripes, but we'll see.

Putting on the speculation cap, if Onwenu stays at guard, I doubt he's staying - I would expect the Pats to keep fitting in rookie deal pieces/older vets on short money, etc. Maybe they'll change their stripes, but we'll see.
Why would they “change their stripes”? Every dollar you give 1 player is 1 less you give another. So of course you have to fit in rookies and older vets.

Did he REALLY, though? He got a 3yr/36M contract EXTENSION (12M AAV). Lindstrom got 20.5M AAV. Onwenu should be looking at 4yr/$60M (15 AAV) . With like 35M guaranteed. (SB/Guaranteed Salary/Etc)

The Pats have 100M (Give or take) going into the 2024 season. They'll easily be able to sign Onwenu, Dugger, etc to extensions while also adding if need be.

What round comp pick for the Bucs ?

I was not impressed with Mason in his last two seasons here, I didn‘t think he was a difference maker for Tampa, they clearly agreed since they traded him away after one (1). season, PFF’s ranking notwithstanding.

Moreover I personally would be happy to see the Pats keep Onwenu but absolutely not at the Chris Lindstrom level. They should not overspend for a Right Guard no matter how much cap space they seem to have (key word: overspend). If keeping Onwenu costs them the chance guess to acquire or keep someone at a position that is more likely to be a difference maker (e.g., Dugger or either Henry or Gesicki) that’s not a good deal for them IMHO. If they trade Big Mike at the end of camp this summer because Klemm likes Hines, Sow, Mafi, or Andrees or whoever just about as much and can get good value in return I’d be onboard even if it meant a step back for the start of this season.

I was not impressed with Mason in his last two seasons here, I didn‘t think he was a difference maker for Tampa, they clearly agreed since they traded him away after one (1). season, PFF’s ranking notwithstanding.

Moreover I personally would be happy to see the Pats keep Onwenu but absolutely not at the Chris Lindstrom level. They should not overspend for a Right Guard no matter how much cap space they seem to have (key word: overspend). If keeping Onwenu costs them the chance guess to acquire or keep someone at a position that is more likely to be a difference maker (e.g., Dugger or either Henry or Gesicki) that’s not a good deal for them IMHO. If they trade Big Mike at the end of camp this summer because Klemm likes Hines, Sow, Mafi, or Andrees or whoever just about as much and can get good value in return I’d be onboard even if it meant a step back for the start of this season.

With over 100M in cap space and 52 people signed, how would signing Onwenu keep them from re-signing/Extending Dugger, Henry, Gesicki, etc? Please explain.

Why would they “change their stripes”? Every dollar you give 1 player is 1 less you give another. So of course you have to fit in rookies and older vets.
They probably won't. I was just speculating. They let Mason go when he was making substantially less than this extension, so my guess/concern is that Onwenu is gone next year, particularly given their recent draft.

They probably won't. I was just speculating. They let Mason go when he was making substantially less than this extension, so my guess/concern is that Onwenu is gone next year, particularly given their recent draft.

They traded Mason because his play was regressing and he was having injury issues. They wanted Onwenu at RG full-time. Onwenu showed that he was the 3rd best last year in terms of sacks/Hits/total pressures.. The Pats clearly made the right decision.

They traded Mason because his play was regressing and he was having injury issues. They wanted Onwenu at RG full-time. Onwenu showed that he was the 3rd best last year in terms of sacks/Hits/total pressures.. The Pats clearly made the right decision.
If it takes 12 mill a year he will be gone. It’s just not a smart use of resources

If it takes 12 mill a year he will be gone. It’s just not a smart use of resources
To an extent I agree with you, but at the same time, Onwenu has been durable, a model Patriot, and can be

A) an elite right guard
B) a really good right tackle
C) an okay left guard

He gives you protection at multiple positions in the event of disaster in-season. I think that's worth some dough over the long term.

To an extent I agree with you, but at the same time, Onwenu has been durable, a model Patriot, and can be

A) an elite right guard
B) a really good right tackle
C) an okay left guard

He gives you protection at multiple positions in the event of disaster in-season. I think that's worth some dough over the long term.
Agree but that’s not worth 12 mill a year.

The draft of all the rookie lineman is telling us Bill doesn't want to sign Onwenu unless these G's don't pan out.

Thats alot of money for someone who was just shipped out for a swap of 7th rounder to a 6th.

The draft of all the rookie lineman is telling us Bill doesn't want to sign Onwenu unless these G's don't pan out.
the draft tells us that the team recognized that the lack of o-line depth last year was unacceptable, and they added prospects to build that depth...

The Patriots gave Shaq a 5 yr extension worth up to 50 million with the likelihood he would of made 30 of it had he not been traded to Tampa.

Not to the poster I’m randomly replying to but this whole idea they won’t pay Onwenu is clear speculation by the fans based off of some crazy theory that this team is somehow cheap.

We have no way of what they are planning to do with him. Based on the draft you can make an assumption but that’s just about it. No way to tell if Onwenu forces the issue and plays elite or one of the rookies steps up and takes it from him. We’ll find out though.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back