PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ravens switching to 4-4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a whole lot different than having a Harrison type "in the box" Safety as long as the extra LB is fast enough to get some depth on coverage.

a lot of Highschools run 4-4. but i really dont think they should..their corners are good as is Ed Reed but against quicker faster WRs..they'll find a hole. 4-4 is good against running teams but i think they should stick with 3-4 since they got Lewis the guy he needed in front and since Bart Scott played well.

I tend to agree...with 4-4, a WR will find an open spot. Not sure what their large advantage would be on D. Just another idea that sounds good on paper..but may not work all the time.

The Ravens went from contender to joke basically overnight (thanks to some cocaine). Hey, why not run the wishbone (with Kordell!) too. This is a pretty stupid idea. Any team with decent receivers and a decent QB would rip this defense a new one... Ed Reed, Chris McAllister, and Samari Rolle or no.

Last edited:
This is just another example that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Any team running a 4-4 defense in the NFL would set a new NFL record for passing yards allowed.

worked pretty good against us in SB XX. Glad its a different team now. Like BFan said, the 4th line backer will be like a strong safety, except he ( they) will be blitzing a LOT.

It'll f up a few offenses if they mix it up. I doubt they will just stay in that same formation all the time.

The 46 Bear defense and the 4-4 are different. The 46 has a safety playing close to the line, usually big enough to both support the run and cover tight ends. The 4-4 replaces that safety with a true LB, and he plays away from the line.

They have the league's best safety ... or at least the best of the ball hawking, all over the field playmaker types (as opposed to the run stuffing hard hitter like Rodney or Milloy).

Here is the problem with Baltimore running a 4-4. They face Cincinati twice, Oakland, Denver, and KC which all have the potential to put up massive passing game numbers. With a 4-4, Johnson, Moss, Walker and the high powered KC attack would have a hay day. Even if you double team one of the above, look at the #2 WR on each team. Hous, Porter, Smith? or Lelie could kill a one on one situation. I wish we played them on a 4-4. Brady could post +400 yards and the running game would still break 100 because of the 4th quarter clock killer. There is no way a 4-4 could cover Branch, Reche, Watson, Graham, and Jackson all at the same time. Ben Watson one on one in the middle with a single 5'10" cb? Have mercy.

Ed Reed will certainly be busy. In addition to all of the other reasons mentioned above, this may be a poor decision as it may wear down the best DB in the league.

Week 15 rolls around, Baltimore could be fighting for the playoffs and a tired Reed with just two cb's and four lb's could spell the end for the Ravens.

I honestly do not see how they end up running this defense to be honest with you. Too many negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3