PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tampa has a lot of work to do cap wise if they want to Keep that D and Godwin together.

Some moves are...

Cut one of Brate or Howard to save 6M.
Cut Gholston to save 5M unless he takes a pay cut.
Extend JPP and lower his cap hit to save 3M. He's going to be 32 next year though.
Extend Evans and lower his cap hit to save 3M
Extend Donovan Smith to save 2M
Extend Jensen to save 2M
Extend Brady to save 2M

That would bring their cap space up from 38M to 58-61M Meaning they can use anywhere from 55-58M to sign their guys with a little left over.

Front load the Contracts

Gronk 2 years 16M (8, 8)
Brown 2 years 10M (6, 8 if he hits incentives. So it be more like 2 years 14M)
Barrett 5 years 92M (14, 19, 19 20 20)
David 4 years 50M (11, 12, 13, 14)
Suh 1 year 7M
Succop 3 years 9M (2, 3, 4)

They really can't afford to let any of these guys walks. Suh is sneaky important for them, as he makes Vea's job so much easier an gives them the 4th guy in their very scary front 4.

All these moves will cost 48M next year leaving them almost no way to sign Godwin unless he takes a massively front loaded contract. And it isn't like they don't have depth peices worth signing like Gholston, Nunez-Roches, Haeg and Fournette potentially (if he's reasonably priced).

I don't see Brady letting Brown or Gronk walk. Barrett and Davids are absolute must signs, as is Succop. Maybe the plan is to let Suh walk or he will retire, but that hurts the strength of their D. Even if they somehow sign Godwin and keep Suh it would be at the expense of all their depth, and not 3rd stringers. Rotational guys who played serious snaps for you this year.

Don't get me wrong, if they can figure it out they should do it, but it just seems like it would be hard and they absolutely need to keep a good D as Brady ages. If they managed to keep all those guys but gut their depth DL depth in the process you know they are going DT in round 1, it's basically forced. And they need to hope they hit on a decent player.

Use some of that money to add James White and there lethal on offense while keeping the defense intact. Absolutely no way should Godwin be back over Barrett

I think the KC beatdown of TB a couple months ago was the best thing that happened to the Bucs. The Chiefs showed their hand. It helped TB prep for yesterday.
Similar to the Pats playing the Giants at the end of the 2007 season.

His running around like a kid at recess just made things worse. He should have identified where he’s going to throw pre snap, take the snap, get it out in 2 seconds or less and take the hits. People never seem to understand you’re making an already bad OL even worse by doing all the running around he was doing. It’s one of the reasons everyone always talks about how Wilson’s lines are so bad. They’re not good, but he makes them look worse than what they are by playing like that.
Exactly, and it's the reason why you need a pocket passer to win in the NYFL, in spite of the love affair with RBs posing as QBs.
I still get nauseous at the thought that Kyler Murray got more respect this year than Tom Brady.

Exactly, and it's the reason why you need a pocket passer to win in the NYFL, in spite of the love affair with RBs posing as QBs.
I still get nauseous at the thought that Kyler Murray got more respect this year than Tom Brady.
The Murray thing bugs me just for the fact that it would have been Brady’s 15th Pro Bowl which would have set the record.

McDaniels adjusted way too late in that game.

The Chiefs didn’t even adjust in this Super Bowl.
Not really much you can do to adjust when your QB is getting pressured like that and you can’t run the football. The most they could do was run the draw and try to target the intermediate areas between the hash marks. Even then, Mahomes was under pressure almost immediately.

Use some of that money to add James White and there lethal on offense while keeping the defense intact. Absolutely no way should Godwin be back over Barrett
Meh I’d be careful about committing too much to Barrett long-term. He kind of flamed out in Denver before balling out down in Tampa and a lot of his success could be attributed to the amount of attention the tackles get.

Really funny article from a Brady hater in the new sports site The Defector.
(Posting it here as free advertising for them.)

https://defector.com/tom-brady-is-just-****ing-impossible/

I’ve grown so accustomed to the inevitability of Tom Brady over the past two decades that the never-ending, near cosmic unlikelihood of his accomplishments has yet to really sink in. Brady has become such a persistent—and often really ****ing annoying—presence in every American’s life that it’s very easy to find reasons to despise him. And, more importantly, to discredit him. I’m a longtime veteran of the Brady Hatin’ Society, so I have all these reasons etched into the walls of my quarantine cave. He ain’t played nobody. He bought off the refs (especially in the first half last night). He’s TOTALLY on roids. Artisanal roids. Way better roids than all the other players get. He’s a smiley MAGA ****head. And he deflated footballs that one time, which didn’t make a ****ing difference at all but which I still held against him because it was fun to do so.

But in the end, none of those reasons have proven terribly valid. In the end, there is always Brady, smiling that idiot smile of his while a soft monsoon of confetti envelops him. He’s been doing this for so long that I can barely grasp it. Look how ****ing old the footage of his first Super Bowl victory is:

Football wasn’t even the same sport back in 2002. The NFL was still hiding concussion data with nonchalant abandon. John Madden was an actual guy on TV. Shoulder pads were large enough to be mistaken for an ’80s Armani suit. No one ever went for it on fourth down. The Houston Texans didn’t exist yet. I could go on and on with all the DON’T YOU FEEL OLD NOW? factoids, but none of those have the same effect as hitting play on that link and seeing Brady demonstrate a command that he retains today, 19 years and six MORE rings later. It’s as if everything since that drive has aged horribly EXCEPT for Brady.

This **** doesn’t happen. History says so. Johnny Unitas ended his career in San Diego, miserable and homesick for thunderstorms. Michael Jordan came back and spent two forgettable years playing for the Washington Wizards in what was essentially a cynical ploy to cement a front office gig that Jordan would discover, to his great anger, was not guaranteed to him. Joe Montana was traded to the Chiefs at the end of his career and dragged them to an AFC title game for one last hit of the old magic before all the fumes inevitably left the tank.

That last bit of magic is usually the best you get. I watched Peyton Manning go out on top, but Manning won his second and final title the same year he got benched for Brock Osweiler. Manning, forever linked to Brady as his chief rival, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this summer, five years after that title. Brady won another one just yesterday, and is favored to win his eighth a year from now with a Bucs team that is suddenly loaded everywhere, even on its coaching staff.

These are not last gasps Brady is delivering. It’s not like seeing Tiger Woods come back from addiction and scandal to win a Masters at age 43. Tiger Woods had to wander the desert for over a ****ing decade before his miracle win at Augusta in 2019. But nothing Brady, also 43, has done in the interim has been miraculous, or desperate. He’s never had to come back out of the wilderness. He’s never had to re-discover something he’s lost. He’s never lost ANYTHING.

This is so far from the norm that the instinctive response to Brady’s seemingly eternal brilliance—well, it’s instinctive if you’re sick to death of him—is to accuse him of playing with loaded dice somehow. But this morning, those accusations feel not just hollow, but pathetic. I look back at my complaints about Brady from the past few weeks, or months, or years, and they all read as desperate. Tiresome, if I’m being honest. My complaints about Brady are ****ing older than Brady himself. And look where they’ve gotten me.

Meanwhile, Brady keeps going. He says he wants to play until he’s 45, but now that feels like an underestimation. All signs of his decline thus far have proven illusory. Wishful thinking. I know because I spent last offseason being like LOL ONLY TAMPA WANTS SORRY-ASS TOM BRADY. I fully expected him to eat **** in 2020 because I WANTED him to. But what I want and what is have nothing at all to do with one another. There is a false reality I’ve constructed around Tom Brady—he only won because of luck, or because of coaching, or because of his teammates covering his ass, or because the outcome was always rigged in his favor—that doesn’t match what I’ve seen with my own eyes. Maybe (probably) my disbelief comes from contempt, or perhaps it stems from the fact that I’m watching Tom Brady do **** no one has ever done before, and my brain won’t let me take it at face value.

But I need to accept it. I need to accept that Brady is performing feats of athleticism and statistical import that I assumed died back when, like, Cy Young was alive. I assumed wrong, and it’s more freeing and more fun to acknowledge that Tom Brady really is doing what he’s doing right now. After all, the whole reason you watch sports is for the impossible. For THIS. Tom Brady is the greatest football player of all time. If you wanna call him the greatest athlete of all time, by all means. I won’t fight you. I’m too tired to do that. I ran out of gas well before the man himself. I am beaten, and so is anyone else who ever dared to test Tom Brady. He can’t be beaten. It doesn’t happen.

Not really much you can do to adjust when your QB is getting pressured like that and you can’t run the football. The most they could do was run the draw and try to target the intermediate areas between the hash marks. Even then, Mahomes was under pressure almost immediately.
They came out of the half running it and doing so effectively, then they abandoned it. Did they even PA? Their entire offense appears to be Mahomes flinging it wildly into triple coverages and hoping for magic. The one pass where he goes horizontal that everyone is raving about, there were four (4) Bucs waiting for it.

On the other side, I don't think there was one ball that Brady threw that a DB could've picked (the INT was a weird deflection).

At the end of halftime, Romo was asked what the Chiefs could do to adjust and said “Uhhhh...I guess they could run playaction?” When he was saying it, he was already realizing how defeated they were.

Last edited:
At the end of halftime, Romo was asked what the Chiefs could do to adjust and said “Uhhhh...I guess they could run playaction?” When he was saying it, he was already realizing how defeated they were.
Yes. Romo was smirking trying to come up with something. That is when I knew the game was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back