PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
No

People actually traveled to Dallas and booked hotels for this 3 minutes of nonsense. I would travel to see the Northern lights or a volcano, but not this crap. Clouds block out the sun every day.
You admit you'd go see northern lights but fail to see the attraction of the total eclipse? Bro. There's no comparison from partial eclipse to total. It's like a cosmic switch is flipped.

No

People actually traveled to Dallas and booked hotels for this 3 minutes of nonsense. I would travel to see the Northern lights or a volcano, but not this crap. Clouds block out the sun every day.
I was In Nicaragua few years back on a surf trip and ended up at Masaya, a volcano. It was smoking at the time. The sound it made was as thou the earth was breathing. They let you walk right up to the mouth. Crazy what other countries allow :)

You admit you'd go see northern lights but fail to see the attraction of the total eclipse? Bro. There's no comparison from partial eclipse to total. It's like a cosmic switch is flipped.
There is another total eclipse in Greenland 2026.

If it's so spectacular book a flight and go.

There is another total eclipse in Greenland 2026.

If it's so spectacular book a flight and go.
A group of photographers I work with were just talking about Iceland in 2026.

I traveled in a bus convoy from home turf in Southern NH to the little town of Waterbury VT yesterday to be in the Total Eclipse zone.

It was a really great experience. It definitely a bucket-list level thing since no solar eclipses will be on the Continental US till 2044 and by then I will not be around to witness it. The bus trip kept the cost low. When asked, the organizer quietly said he was so into the idea of bringing people to the Eclipse that he knowingly was taking a loss. I had folded up a few large bills expecting this response and gladly passed them to him via the 'Irish handshake'. Of course long bus journeys are often problematic, as I recount below.

I think being in the Zone was important because you could see the moon creeping into place while it gradually go darker then when it covered the sun we got total darkness, then we saw the uncovering and the restoration of the light. It got noticeably colder as the sun got more and more covered and noticeably warmer after. The wind also seemed to pick up, probably due to the temperature gradient making the older hotter air rise and get replaced by the newer colder air.

The trip organizer had been to a previous eclipse and he said that even though we had some high altitude, thin and milky clouds yesterday that he preferred this version because those clouds diffused the sunlight and made for some really memorable visuals whereas the previous eclipse was much more blue then black then blue without the visible tapering we saw before and after.

Someone played Dark Side of the Moon a bit before the Eclipse and it went over well. I hadn't heard that album in a while because I am kind of burned out to Floyd so I don't play it much these days, but it was very nice to hear it again in that time and place. Given I'm a prog rock fan as @Tunescribe knows, I broke out Camel's Moonmadness for the event itself to listen on headphones because the event's self-appointed DJ had moved on to something that I was less fond of.

I am feeling pretty drained this morning after a very long ride back. The way up was around three hours, the way back was around six hours.

The bus convoy had many friends but it also had many strangers who were either friends of friends or total strangers. Unfortunately there was this woman seated directly behind me who reminded me of Mama Cass both in terms of voice and girth. I literally had to cover my ears when she raised her voice at all, because it hurt my ears. Unfortunately she and her clique were engaged in some pretty banal conversation to begin with, but fortunately they soon settled down. The guy I sat next to was former co-worker and a world traveler so we talked most of the way North.

On the way South, it was the worst traffic I had ever been in, yet I was prepared for that, and since I wasn't driving it wasn't that annoying to me. I had downloaded tons of content to my tablet so watched a bunch of long videos while the guy next to me slept most of the time. The other badness was about two hours into the return trip the stench from the toilet became hard to ignore. I was about four rows away and it got exponentially worse as you got closer. A bit of a poo smell is somewhat bearable, but this got more acrid as it ripened. Some in Mama Cass's party were very annoyed. I'm not sure I blame them but everyone knew not much could be done about it. I had learned early in life after taking some long ski trips on busses to try to get as far forward as possible to avoid the odors wafting from the honey pot. I was only moderately successful on this trip, but was thankful I wasn't further back since it got exponentially worse the closer you were.

So, overall, I'd do it all over again despite the long journey and the pee/poo smell issue, but right now I feel I'll need a day or two to recover from it all.

I was In Nicaragua few years back on a surf trip and ended up at Masaya, a volcano. It was smoking at the time. The sound it made was as thou the earth was breathing. They let you walk right up to the mouth. Crazy what other countries allow :)
That would be cool and you dont even need $2.00 glasses to look at it.

Am I the only one on here who doesn't care about the Eclipse?
Very few people think for themselves anymore.

Its a pack of sheep mentality. Everyone is getting tattoos, get a tattoo. The I Phone20 is out, run down and finance one like its a car. Every guy has a beard. Half cant work because they need 1 hand to hold their pants up.

Same. A normal three hour trip took me nine. Horrifically bad. Woodstock level. With that said, I'd do it again to see what I saw.

Just not tomorrow.
There are only so many great moments in anyone’s life. Only a few that make us realize how we are a part of something so much bigger than us.

Next one is in Spain in 2026. Hmmmmmmm.

Anyway, people underwhelmed by the partial eclipse need to realize that a Total Eclipse is a totally different experience.

If you have facebook, check this video out:

Very few people think for themselves anymore.

Its a pack of sheep mentality. Everyone is getting tattoos, get a tattoo. The I Phone20 is out, run down and finance one like its a car. Every guy has a beard. Half cant work because they need 1 hand to hold their pants up.
Right? Should probably add people that never pay up after losing a bet. Or groups of men the march at night carrying tiki torches. Same vibe.

Saw the total eclipse near Burlington, VT. Really spectacular - like someone flipped a light switch.

This video (not mine) gives you a sense of the timing:

Trip back was horrendous - 7 hours instead of 3 1/2. Such is life - but it was worth it.

Here's my time lapse of the event from the Third Connecticut Lake in NH. I filmed it over a 30 minute period. You can see the shadow move across the sky.

Right? Should probably add people that never pay up after losing a bet. Or groups of men the march at night carrying tiki torches. Same vibe.
cheaters and racists never prosper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe