PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: DiceK wins debut with 10Ks 1BB 1ER

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The headline says it all. You thought the hype machine was big before? Get ready for Daisuke-mania to hit Boston! Overall I gotta admit that was a very impressive debut. Heck, even the PTI guys had to admit it was impressive although they were very skeptical before today. Looked at Daisuke jerseys online... 99 for a replica and 189 for an authentic? Wow. Talk about the Sox cashing in!

Oops just saw another thread saying the same thing. LOL. Move this post please.

Last edited:
Pfffft..it was against the Royals.

Papelbon was great too. I just think he is too good as a closer to be a starter.

Pfffft..it was against the Royals.

So what? It was 38 degrees outside. Do you know how hard it is to pitch like Dice K did in that weather? Dice K has pitched in domes his entire career. The pressure on this guy is amazing. What he did was very impressive. He showed awesome control. Was able to throw 7 pitches for strikes at any times he pleased. Painted the corners all day. You understand the amount of pressure on this guy correct? He just came to America from half way around the world for his ROOKIE debut. 10k's with only 1 allowed run considering all the pressure this kid is under is VERY impressive. This kid showed some serious potential today, imo.

Last edited:
Dice K is going to be absolutely nasty this year.

So what? It was 38 degrees outside. Dice K has pitched in domes his entire career. The pressure on this guy is amazing. What he did was very impressive.

I agree. He did do well, if not just for his performance but also because of the pressure. But it was still against the Royals, who are terrible, regardless of what happened with Schilling the other day.

what happend with Schilling went against the royals a few days ago?

Exactly. The Royals are still a MLB team capable of putting up wins. Even a great pitcher like Schilling can lose to them on an off day.

Daisuke had an excellent day and he mowed down the Royals lineup. I think any pitcher in MLB would LOVE to own Matsuzaka's 10:1 K to BB ratio at this point in the season.

The whole question about Daisuke in people's minds was, sure he can pitch great against japanese league batters but how would he fare against real major leaguers? Today DiceK proved that he could pitch at the major league level and WIN convincingly.

DiceK beat the royals soundly and it was an american league game complete with DH. And BTW the starting pitcher opposite him only gave up TWO earned runs. Which is a solid outing by most standards for any major league pitcher, but that guy had the misfortune of pitching against a guy who was just BETTER, DiceK.

The next step of course is DiceK vs the Yankees. I'll definitely be tuning in for that one!!

Last edited:
Matsuzaka is going to be the next Pedro.

Have you guys read this guy's history and bio? Going back to childhood, this guy has been clutch in almost every HUGE game he's played in. The pressure of playing in Japan is way higher than over here; it's like World Cup Soccer crazy.

This guy's got something like 8 pitches, nasty control, and is mentally a tough SOB.

And he's...26!!!!!

Exactly. The Royals are still a MLB team capable of putting up wins. Even a great pitcher like Schilling can lose to them on an off day.

Daisuke had an excellent day and he mowed down the Royals lineup. I think any pitcher in MLB would LOVE to own Matsuzaka's 10:1 K to BB ratio at this point in the season.

The whole question about Daisuke in people's minds was, sure he can lockdown against japanese batters but how would he fare against real major leaguers? Today DiceK proved that he could pitch at the major league level and WIN convincingly.

DiceK beat the royals soundly and it was an american league game complete with DH. And BTW the pitcher opposite him only gave up TWO earned runs. Which is a solid outing by any standard for any major league pitcher, but that guy had the misfortune of pitching against a guy who was just BETTER, DiceK.

The Royals are capable of putting up wins? They're also capable of dropping a helluva lot of Ls or have i just imagined the last 15 years of bad baseball in KC?

I like the kid. I have him on my fantasy league team and jumped through hoops to get him. However, I'm not ready to give him the Cy based on one very good performance against a very bad team.

It's the objective way of looking at it as I am not a Sox fan or a fan of any other MLB team. I just like watching the game without a rooting interest. As a Sox fan your perception will be different.

The Royals are capable of putting up wins? They're also capable of dropping a helluva lot of Ls or have i just imagined the last 15 years of bad baseball in KC?

I like the kid. I have him on my fantasy league team and jumped through hoops to get him. However, I'm not ready to give him the Cy based on one very good performance against a very bad team.

It's the objective way of looking at it as I am not a Sox fan or a fan of any other MLB team. I just like watching the game without a rooting interest. As a Sox fan your perception will be different.

All people are doing is giving him props on a well deserved win. He performed awesome, and showed the potential to be a very special pitcher. In case you forgot the royals owned the red sox over the years up until the last 2 games. Forget the line up, either way it is a major leauge one. He pitched like he did in 38 degree weather. He was a dome pitcher! He has simply humoungous amounts of pressure on him. He dominated the royals. This is his first outing. Painted the corners, threw 7 pitches for strikes and could throw anything he wanted at any time. Cool as a cucumber. I dont care how you chop it 10k's in 7 innings only allowing one run, under the pressure this guy is under is impressive. He showed the potential we all hope he would have.

Last edited:
That was fun to watch, but lets let all the AL teams at least get a book going on him before sending him to Cooperstown. Pitchers have an extra advantage when their tendencies are unknown. Sure he doesn't really know the batters either; but that sort of situation historically favors the pitcher.

The whole question about Daisuke in people's minds was, sure he can pitch great against japanese league batters but how would he fare against real major leaguers? Today DiceK proved that he could pitch at the major league level and WIN convincingly.

DiceK beat the royals soundly and it was an american league game complete with DH. And BTW the starting pitcher opposite him only gave up TWO earned runs. Which is a solid outing by most standards for any major league pitcher, but that guy had the misfortune of pitching against a guy who was just BETTER, DiceK.

The next step of course is DiceK vs the Yankees. I'll definitely be tuning in for that one!!

Well, I was exceedingly pleased.......... However, I'd hesitate to say he mowed em down or beat them soundly. He left after 7 with a 2 - 1 lead. He got into (and out of) several jams and had to throw 108 pitches to do it. It was a good start. He through some positively NASTY stuff at different point and I was really impressed with his placement. He's tight for sure, but I'm in the "let's not enshrine him yet" crowd.

All in all, I'm excited for his potential though. Paps looked very strong closing too. Papi had a rough outing, perhaps we dump him, huh ;)

Last edited:
Ten strikeouts? Time to change the nickname to Diez-K.

Regards,
Chris

KC blah, blah. They are major league batters. And he made them look downright timid at the plate, after the first inning.

The fact that had success when he nibbled at the corners is especially encouraging. The strike zone in Japan is much different. If he is already showing comfort in his new zone, that bodes well. He looked very comfortable once he started his windup. Almost expected them not to swing. Not bad for a "rookie". And it was cold. Much harder for pitchers to grip, locate, etc.

No. he ain't Koufax yet, but the kid did well.

This is the first time Ive really sat and watched this kid pitch. Let me tell you his form: from his windup, stride, arm location, and follow through appear absolutely perfect. This kid looks great!

Of course this will be viewed as a "qualified win" as it was against the lowly KC Athletics, but consider what would happen if he lost this game.. he would have been thought of as a complete and total bust. He looked pretty good to me, he seems to be as advertised.

He's like a miniature Buddha, covered with hair

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back