PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Conor McDermott re-signed

He held up very well for us, hope it’s a multi year deal. The bar was very low, but he was easily the best RT play we got all season.
Not just RT. He the best OT on the team  period. Let that sink in.A huge problem.
OT is the #1 need by far. More than wr more than cb. Brown was horrible last year. Yes,so was the offensive coaching and ol coaching. But he was a f'n turnstile and a penalty machine. Would be a big help if he could turn it around even a little this year. But I'll believe it when I see it. So we might need both new starters at rt and lt

So what exactly is Yodny Cajuste looking for? He's still young and would be a better signing.

Not just RT. He the best OT on the team  period. Let that sink in.A huge problem.
OT is the #1 need by far. More than wr more than cb. Brown was horrible last year. Yes,so was the offensive coaching and ol coaching. But he was a f'n turnstile and a penalty machine. Would be a big help if he could turn it around even a little this year. But I'll believe it when I see it. So we might need both new starters at rt and lt
It's obvious Trent Brown didn't like playing for those hand picked BB boys and I don't blame him one bit.

So what exactly is Yodny Cajuste looking for? He's still young and would be a better signing.

He might still be back, but at this point they're probably better off just restarting the rookie contract clock with a late round pick, IMO. Cajuste was just never healthy for long enough to really evaluate, and that makes me nervous when thinking about giving him a FA contract.

He might still be back, but at this point they're probably better off just restarting the rookie contract clock with a late round pick, IMO. Cajuste was just never healthy for long enough to really evaluate, and that makes me nervous when thinking about giving him a FA contract.
I was thinking we could get him at a good FA price he has swing Tackle potential. He was a Third Rounder and Klemm a decent OL Coach is now on board I think it's a good time to buy he could be a bargain if healthy.

Last edited:
I was thinking we could get him at a good FA price he has swing Tackle potential. He was a Third Rounder and Klemm a decent OL Coach is now on board I think it's good time to buy he could be bargain if healthy.

Yeah, for the right price he's worth a camp at least. If they can avoid any guaranteed money, all the better.

We're facing some of the best Pass Rushing teams this year too.
Philly, KC, Dallas, Saints, Washington, Indy, and Jets, Miami.

Philly has 6 starters that are UFA. This includes Fletcher Cox, Javon Hargrave, James Bradbury and Marcus Epps. So I expect that they're going to take a hit on their pass rush because they don't have a lot of flexibility or Cap Space.

Washington may lose one of their best players in Payne if they don't Franchise him.

So, reserve tackle money.. I wonder how much of the playing time incentives will be LTBE in the 1st year.
Let's hope we don't get to him on the depth chart I think Yodny Cajuste would be a way better signing.

Oh my, $2.5m.

Come on now. We let go of Karras for this amount. Back then we said why pay a reserve this much. If you're going to pay your reserves this much, make sure they will be good starters in a pinch. He's a JAG, should be getting veteran minimum.

Ted Karras signed for $6m per year (3/18). That's low end starting guard money. And tackles on average make more than guards. So 2.5 for a backup tackle seems about right.

Edit: And that's 2.5 IF he meets playing time incentives, which depending on how FA and the draft go for tackles here, he may not.

Ted Karras signed for $6m per year (3/18). That's low end starting guard money. And tackles on average make more than guards. So 2.5 for a backup tackle seems about right.

Edit: And that's 2.5 IF he meets playing time incentives, which depending on how FA and the draft go for tackles here, he may not.
If he was good, he'd be worth it. I'd sooner put in a rookie or Steuber.

Karras was signed as a starter. We offered him in the McDermott range, and he took the better deal.

Karras was signed as a starter. We offered him in the McDermott range, and he took the better deal.

I think you might be underestimating what a depth tackle makes in this league, but Connor McDermott is certainly not a hill I'm going to die on. I don't think the contract is out of line for the player, personally.

Oh my, $2.5m.

Come on now. We let go of Karras for this amount. Back then we said why pay a reserve this much. If you're going to pay your reserves this much, make sure they will be good starters in a pinch. He's a JAG, should be getting veteran minimum.
HUH?? Karras signed for over $6M/APY. McDermott's deal is $1.8Mbase. Last I looked, 6M > 1.8M. Counting bonuses which are based on PLAYING time, which he may not get, is being disingenuous at best.

Karras was offered a starting position with Cincy. He wasn't going to get that with the Pats. That's why he chose to go to Cincy. Just like when he went to Miami. They offered him a chance to start. The Pats weren't offering him that.

Feel free to show where the Pats offered Karras a $2.5M/yr deal during the 2022 Off-season..
EDIT:
You're full of it. The Pats initial offer to Karras was $15M/3 ($5M APY).. They changed it to a $13/3 (4.33M APY). There was no $2.5M offer to Karras in 2022..

Patriots lose OL Ted Karras to $18 million deal with Cincinnati

Last edited:
I think you might be underestimating what a depth tackle makes in this league, but Connor McDermott is certainly not a hill I'm going to die on. I don't think the contract is out of line for the player, personally.
I really don't think I'm underestimating. I just checked a few all over the league. For instance, McDermott is making DOUBLE what Jermaine Eluemnor will make. Vet minimum seems to be the normal offer for guys who are purely reserves. Mind you, I acknowledge that a 3rd tackle who will see playing time and is decent will get more. But McDermott is not that guy. He's just a JAG. If we gave an extra $1m to every JAG on the team we'd bust our cap.

For instance, Tavai, Hoyer, Ty Montgomery, they all got less to come here or stay on.

EDIT: I was using Sportrac's numbers for some of the other guys I was comparing. Sportrac may be off on Patriots salaries.

This is what I was quoting: New England Patriots 2023 Salary Cap

Last edited:
I really don't think I'm underestimating. I just checked a few all over the league. For instance, McDermott is making DOUBLE what Jermaine Eluemnor will make. Vet minimum seems to be the normal offer for guys who are purely reserves. Mind you, I acknowledge that a 3rd tackle who will see playing time and is decent will get more. But McDermott is not that guy. He's just a JAG. If we gave an extra $1m to every JAG on the team we'd bust our cap.

For instance, Tavai, Hoyer, Ty Montgomery, they all got less to come here or stay on.

Adrian Phillips got $1.6m before he re-upped; McDermott makes more than Lawrence Guy. Bentley is just marginally ahead of him.

They have to think McDermott is going to be a key player, because otherwise, you don't pay this for a mere reserve.
That's the GM side of BB that I will always question. I mean they are prospects in this upcoming Draft that are already better with upside. We know what McDermott brings to the table and it's not much.:rolleyes:

Adrian Phillips got $1.6m before he re-upped; McDermott makes more than Lawrence Guy. Bentley is just marginally ahead of him.

They have to think McDermott is going to be a key player, because otherwise, you don't pay this for a mere reserve.
You’re all over the place in comparing max value of one contract to base value of another to some numbers that just aren’t right.

McDermott’s contract is $1.8M per year base value with $2.55M per year maximum.

Jermaine Eluemunor is about to become a free agent. He will almost definitely make more than McDermott. PFF recently suggested $3.75M per year.

Phillips’ first contract with the Patriots was $3M per year base, $3.75M per year max.

Guy’s contract is $2.875M per year base, $6M per year max.

Bentley’s contract is $3M per year base, $4.5M year max.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back