OT: Combine stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve102

Any Man Who Must Say I Am The King Is No True King
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I have stated before that I am far from a draftnik. I don't follow it that closely. But looking at the combine this weekend, there's two stories that stick out to me.

1) Shaquem Griffin. Stupid fast in the 40. Any one know anything about this kid, beyond the obvious "disability"? Doesn't look disabled to me. Can't coach speed. Would you take him day two?
2) Saquan Barkley. I have always felt the difference between a back at the bottom of the first round and a guy in the third round is negligible. Kareem Hunt when it round three to the Chiefs. Kamara went round three as well. James White went it round 4, Leveon Bell in round two. But the last three drafts have had Fournette, McCaffrey, Zeke and Gurley all go early, and pay dividends to their teams. Is this kid the real deal? Cleveland has so many holes, can Barkley be a stand out for them day one? Two picks at the top of the draft, they could get Barkey, Darnold, Rosen, or Allen and be off to the races. Is Barkley the answer?

I defer to you guys who follow this stuff. Interested on what you think, and if there was other stand outs that could help the Pats.

You might want to check out the draft subforum for lots of discussions.

Ian? ::

This time of year there ought to be a direct link to it in the banner of this forum to direct people there, since I think at lot of folks are like me and come to patsfans not through the main page but directly to this forum by bookmark.

Last edited:
Griffin is a great player, instinctual, hustles, would be a good starter for any team, but not sure how the arm will hamper him in NFL.

Barkley is just as good if not better than the top RBs you mentioned. Can do it all. Maybe there's a little concern with him hitting hole hard, dancing around too much, because he has that Barry Sanders' type ability.

1) Shaquem Griffin. Stupid fast in the 40. Any one know anything about this kid, beyond the obvious "disability"? Doesn't look disabled to me. Can't coach speed. Would you take him day two?
Can't coach body parts either. I have no idea how it will or won't affect him getting off blocks or making tackles but his disability isn't going to show up running the 40.

Can't coach body parts either. I have no idea how it will or won't affect him getting off blocks or making tackles but his disability isn't going to show up running the 40.

I know that Auburn could not block him. He gave them more trouble than anybody from Georgia or Alabama did. I can't say I watched too much UCF football, but in that day the eye test had my eyes popping.

I know that Auburn could not block him. He gave them more trouble than anybody from Georgia or Alabama did. I can't say I watched too much UCF football, but in that day the eye test had my eyes popping.
I caught maybe a quarter, and was shocked what he could do.

Did you see him in the bench press?

I have stated before that I am far from a draftnik. I don't follow it that closely. But looking at the combine this weekend, there's two stories that stick out to me.

2) Saquan Barkley. I have always felt the difference between a back at the bottom of the first round and a guy in the third round is negligible. Kareem Hunt when it round three to the Chiefs. Kamara went round three as well. James White went it round 4, Leveon Bell in round two. But the last three drafts have had Fournette, McCaffrey, Zeke and Gurley all go early, and pay dividends to their teams. Is this kid the real deal? Cleveland has so many holes, can Barkley be a stand out for them day one? Two picks at the top of the draft, they could get Barkey, Darnold, Rosen, or Allen and be off to the races. Is Barkley the answer?

I defer to you guys who follow this stuff. Interested on what you think, and if there was other stand outs that could help the Pats.

The thing for me about high 1st-round RB draft picks are the cap hits versus production. For example, Fournette's cap hits are

2017 - $4.94M
2018 - $6.17M
2019 - $7.40M
2020 - $8.64M

And nearly $18M of that is fully guaranteed. Is Fournette's production (or Barkley's potential) really all that likely to be that much greater than another RB who might cost 1/3 as much (or less)?

2017 production:
Fournette - 1342 yds from scrimmage, 10 TDs ... $4.94M
Lewis - 1110 yds from scrimmage, 9 TDs ... $1.49M

On it's face, that seems like a one-off. Except that, in 2016 it was Blount for about the same money as Lewis. A couple-three years before that it was Ridley. A couple years before Ridley, it was BGE.

Most years for the Pats, it's a committee that has cost them less than what many teams pay for just one or two RBs. And what happens if that one outstanding RB gets injured?

If we get our LT situation taken care of I would be perfectly happy taking griffin with one of our top 3 picks. (Other 2 being Qb and CB). Would like to resign solder and get a DT opposite brown in FA.

I don't know much about this draft class but I'd have to imagine Griffin is going in the top 25 picks.

I don't know much about this draft class but I'd have to imagine Griffin is going in the top 25 picks.
Projected third rounder going into yesterday. The 40 time may have bumped up his draft stock.

NFL : rounds 5-6
SI: Breer says 4th round, the others are anywhere from 3-6.

Projected third rounder going into yesterday. The 40 time may have bumped up his draft stock.

I think he’s for sure into round 2 and may even sneak into round 1.

Im warming to the idea of double dipping from UCF If the opportunity presents itself with Hughes and Griffin.

The thing for me about high 1st-round RB draft picks are the cap hits versus production. For example, Fournette's cap hits are

2017 - $4.94M
2018 - $6.17M
2019 - $7.40M
2020 - $8.64M

And nearly $18M of that is fully guaranteed. Is Fournette's production (or Barkley's potential) really all that likely to be that much greater than another RB who might cost 1/3 as much (or less)?

2017 production:
Fournette - 1342 yds from scrimmage, 10 TDs ... $4.94M
Lewis - 1110 yds from scrimmage, 9 TDs ... $1.49M

On it's face, that seems like a one-off. Except that, in 2016 it was Blount for about the same money as Lewis. A couple-three years before that it was Ridley. A couple years before Ridley, it was BGE.

Most years for the Pats, it's a committee that has cost them less than what many teams pay for just one or two RBs. And what happens if that one outstanding RB gets injured?
But our method of management of the rb position would not have worked without having the GOAT at QB.

I think he’s for sure into round 2 and may even sneak into round 1.

Im warming to the idea of double dipping from UCF If the opportunity presents itself with Hughes and Griffin.
I like Hughes. His jams are downright lethal. His bench reps at the combine back that up.

Love the story but I'd pass on a one handed LB.

I think this is worthy of a shout out to Jim Abbott.
wgHMdEqEggThd8KfSgfIQ0eJkkvoHCa2xzXdy6GV9dh3YEJzy7wG35XQcgyzW551x3-6ogat8b4E3UAElMfwi2PKTW2a_ZBhWvxDueYF_2QmcdUf4q1Osw=s0-d

I like Hughes. His jams are downright lethal. His bench reps at the combine back that up.

I like him too. I think he definitely has the ability to cover outside plus added benefit of returning kicks.

"The Old Man and the Lolita", the Bob Kraft story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes