PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chase Winovich Retires

Another promising guy ends up on a bizarre downward trajectory and out of the league:
We keep talking about how Belichick builds his system around his players, rather than trying to force players into specific roles, but it seems like the latter is what he does in some cases. Both Winovich and Uche seem to be players better suited for "let 'em loose" type pass rusher roles, which is not what Belichick wants in the front seven.

We keep talking about how Belichick builds his system around his players, rather than trying to force players into specific roles, but it seems like the latter is what he does in some cases. Both Winovich and Uche seem to be players better suited for "let 'em loose" type pass rusher roles, which is not what Belichick wants in the front seven.

Between the Pats, Browns, Texans, and Dolphins, Winovich was tried in every type of role and is not even an NFL YAG-level player. We won the Winovich for Wilson trade, and Wilson is a career backup.

He was really great on sports talk radio, became somewhat of a celebrity feted by the 98.5 midday show.

Must have got tired of proving the Pats wrong for letting him go. Unfortunately, after a 1/2 decent year of contribution it was proven to be just a drafting error.

While there is some flexibility, BBs system expects that players do not gamble to get to the QB or make a big play. Winovich didn't work out because he was a liability who could not stop the run or contain the edge. He played mostly ST after leaving here.

Damn! No matter how long I have been watching NFL I can never get used to how quick some careers go downhill.

Have we ever had a player with so much hype in his rookie season flame out so quick?

I guess Mitchel comes to mind but defense I can't think of anyone else.

Damn! No matter how long I have been watching NFL I can never get used to how quick some careers go downhill.

Have we ever had a player with so much hype in his rookie season flame out so quick?

Mac Jones.

Eugene Chung?

He is definitely, I think, the sort of fella who will land on his feet. I wish him well. He'd make a Hell of a cabana boy, for example.

I remember thinking there was so much upside with Winovich and then in 2020 he was on a bit of a hot streak and that was as good as it ever got. Then there was the rumors of him being a "locker room lawyer" and he was in the dog house. I really thought once he left here some team would pick him up and he would go to a team that strictly let him rush the passer and he would be a pretty consistent 10 sack guy. He just strikes me as a guy with so many other interests outside of football so maybe he just didn't possess the drive to be great and live up to his physical skills.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back