PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Calvin Johnson considering retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calvin is really tight with Jim. Caldwell & as recent as a week ago, he mentioned he would be willing to take a pay cut, if the lions keep Caldwell.

I am no Caldwell fan, but the lions were better in the second half of the season and no decision has been made yet on Caldwell.

I believe he returns to Detroit if Caldwell returns & he will either retire or get traded to another team, if Caldwell is fired.

Boo-Hoo, Calvin.

No one forced him to sign with Detroit after his rookie contract was up.

Yea i'd be pretty bummed out too signing a 100+ million dollar contract lol

Reason #694381 why the NFL should implement a draft lottery. Barring random acts of Integrity* good teams would have a shot at elite talent and elite talent would be squandered far less often. Imagine Johnson going to an actual NFL franchise? Bah gawd.

It also might mitigate teams throwing seasons ala the Colts in 2011 for the top pick

What's the appeal of the Panthers? They've had 1 good season, arguably thanks due to a cupcake schedule, and have a QB who can't even hit 60% of his passes on the year.

What have they done to earn the appeal of a contender over teams like Green Bay, Seattle, Denver, hell even Baltimore, and of course, New England?

1 good season? They've made the playoffs 3 years in a row. And Cam has hit at least 60% of his passes in 2011 and 2013 and was only .3% off this year. Also, judging quarterbacks off just completion percentage is dumb.

You're hating just to hate.

Let's see now... He plays for a Blue Cat team that plays wildly inconsistent ball... What should I do?

But if he ritires don't the lions own his rights if he decides to come back?
I've learned that if the Lions release his rights then he is only then free to sign with the Patri..... ummm another team

I would give up a 5th rounder for Calvin and if he restructures. He still ended up with 1200 plus yards. It would be almost unfair.

1 good season? They've made the playoffs 3 years in a row. And Cam has hit at least 60% of his passes in 2011 and 2013 and was only .3% off this year. Also, judging quarterbacks off just completion percentage is dumb.

You're hating just to hate.

They made the playoffs last year with a losing record. Impressive.

Carolina isn't nearly as good as their record suggests this year. Neither is Newton with the forced media hype he gets. Completion percentage obviously isn't the only factor, but who's the last elite QB who finished below 60? That's just bad, regardless of drops. The Pats were top 2 in the league in drops and that didn't seem to affect Brady's stats much.

I'd just like to see them win a meaningful game or two in the playoffs, against a QB not named Ryan Lindley, before I'm ok with them being considered as automatic contenders.

Josh Gordon is a more realistic fantasy IMO. His 2016 cap # is cheap, based on twitter he seems to love Brady, and the new regime probably wants nothing to do with him. He's also motivated to prove Cleveland wrong.

Gordon was arguably the best WR in the NFL in 2013. I really think we have a shot this offseason at him.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
If I were Kraft I'd mail him Darrelle Revis's Super Bowl Ring with a note.

"If you want one that fits, give me a call."

They made the playoffs last year with a losing record. Impressive.
They still made it last year. And you also conveniently don't mention that they went 12-4 the year before that.

Carolina isn't nearly as good as their record suggests this year.
15-1 is 15-1. In 1999 the Rams went 13-3 while playing one of the most cupcake schedules ever. That doesn't change the fact that they're a damn good team.
Neither is Newton with the forced media hype he gets. Completion percentage obviously isn't the only factor, but who's the last elite QB who finished below 60? That's just bad, regardless of drops. The Pats were top 2 in the league in drops and that didn't seem to affect Brady's stats much.

Conveniently leaving out the fact that he scored 45 touchdowns this year. And he led the league in touchdown percentage. Also, when did I ever say he was elite? Never said he was, but I will say he's a damn good quarterback.

I'd just like to see them win a meaningful game or two in the playoffs, against a QB not named Ryan Lindley, before I'm ok with them being considered as automatic contenders.

We're talking about the appeal of a wide receiver going to the Panthers. Not whether or not the Panthers live up to your standards.

They still made it last year. And you also conveniently don't mention that they went 12-4 the year before that.

15-1 is 15-1. In 1999 the Rams went 13-3 while playing one of the most cupcake schedules ever. That doesn't change the fact that they're a damn good team.

Conveniently leaving out the fact that he scored 45 touchdowns this year. And he led the league in touchdown percentage. Also, when did I ever say he was elite? Never said he was, but I will say he's a damn good quarterback.

We're talking about the appeal of a wide receiver going to the Panthers. Not whether or not the Panthers live up to your standards.

You're refusing to take context into account regarding their playoff birth last year + record this year.

I'm not the only one who thinks they're overrated. My point initially was that they don't belong atop that small list of teams who vets sign with when they want a ring. Definitely not yet.

You're refusing to take context into account regarding their playoff birth last year + record this year.

I'm not the only one who thinks they're overrated. My point initially was that they don't belong atop that small list of teams who vets sign with when they want a ring. Definitely not yet.

george_facepalm_seinfeld.gif

You literally asked what's the appeal of Calvin Johnson going to the Panthers.

The team that had the highest scoring offense in the league.
The team with the quarterback that's most likely going to win MVP.
The team that had the best record in the league.

Again, let me repeat, this is a quote of your initial question:

What's the appeal of the Panthers?

Highest scoring offense+(most likely) quarterback MVP+best record in the league = appeal.

Am I saying the Panthers are the only team that is appealing to a wide receiver? No. There are other teams that are appealing to wide receivers.

But for what ever reason you're trying to come up with reasons for why they aren't appealing and they're just not true.

For one, you stated:
They've had 1 good season

Which isn't even true. They've made the playoffs three straight years, two of those years they went 12-4 and 15-1. So no, they have not had only 1 good season.

And 2, you stated:
and have a QB who can't even hit 60% of his passes on the year.
Which also isn't true. Newton has already hit 60%+ two other years and this year he was only off by .3%. In fact, the second half of this year he completed 65.6% of his passes. So again, you're wrong. Cam Newton is capable of hitting 60% of his passes.

As I said in my first post, you're hating just to hate.

I would give up a 5th rounder for Calvin and if he restructures. He still ended up with 1200 plus yards. It would be almost unfair.

Hell, I would've gladly given up the 5th that it took for the Jets to secure Brandon Marshall, let alone Calvin Johnson. Of course we would've had to put Lithium in his Gatorade, but so what? It was still a steal for a 5th round pick.

Josh Gordon is a more realistic fantasy IMO. His 2016 cap # is cheap, based on twitter he seems to love Brady, and the new regime probably wants nothing to do with him. He's also motivated to prove Cleveland wrong.

Gordon was arguably the best WR in the NFL in 2013. I really think we have a shot this offseason at him.

Hard for me to imagine Belichick giving up a higher round draft pick for a guy who is one failed test away from a lifetime ban, has a deep history with substance abuse and making poor decisions, and may not even pick up our system.

Calvin Johnson isn't retiring, he is just trying to shoot his way out of town.

He has no rights if he retires and he remains obligated to Detroit. Of course, given what he will earn next year, the worst thing he could do to Detroit is show up for everything as required.

george_facepalm_seinfeld.gif

You literally asked what's the appeal of Calvin Johnson going to the Panthers.

The team that had the highest scoring offense in the league.
The team with the quarterback that's most likely going to win MVP.
The team that had the best record in the league.

Again, let me repeat, this is a quote of your initial question:

Highest scoring offense+(most likely) quarterback MVP+best record in the league = appeal.

Am I saying the Panthers are the only team that is appealing to a wide receiver? No. There are other teams that are appealing to wide receivers.

But for what ever reason you're trying to come up with reasons for why they aren't appealing and they're just not true.

For one, you stated:

Which isn't even true. They've made the playoffs three straight years, two of those years they went 12-4 and 15-1. So no, they have not had only 1 good season.

And 2, you stated:

Which also isn't true. Newton has already hit 60%+ two other years and this year he was only off by .3%. In fact, the second half of this year he completed 65.6% of his passes. So again, you're wrong. Cam Newton is capable of hitting 60% of his passes.

As I said in my first post, you're hating just to hate.

Quote me when they win a playoff game, unless it's against a 3rd string QB.

Quote me when they win a playoff game, unless it's against a 3rd string QB.
What are you even trying to argue? Serious question.

Hard for me to imagine Belichick giving up a higher round draft pick for a guy who is one failed test away from a lifetime ban, has a deep history with substance abuse and making poor decisions, and may not even pick up our system.

He'd probably cost a 3rd or 4th round pick (and barely any cap space) at this point.

If BB wants to try the draft instead again, so be it. The WR FA class is shallow and the few names will be getting paid big by other teams. Upgrading WR will be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes