OT: Bird v. Pierce

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbykr

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Saw this article in the Herald and thought it was interesting:

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=131782

This quote really sums up why the NBA and the celts in particular was much better back in the 80's. (at least to watch in my opinion)

“You know, if I wanted to score 35 points a game - if I knew I was just going to play in the regular season - I would have been very capable of doing that,†he said. “But it wasn’t me. I had more talent around me than Paul’s had, and our whole focus was winning championships.†----Larry Bird

Both great players...but Larry made his teamates better, much better.

Pierce is actually a better scorer than Larry...but Larry had court vision that Pierce will never have.

I've got Gonzaga tonight against UCLA. Morrison will never be Larry Bird, but if on the right team he could be a Hondo Havlicek. Kid's got a good upside.

Bird wins this one hands down

But I would have loved to see what Pierce could do had he played alongside the Big Three.

It would have been like having Len Bias.

Cramden said:
Bird averaged more points per game (24.3 vs 23.5) and had a higher field goal (.496 vs .440) and free throw percentage (.886 vs .790)than Pierce. How does that translate to Pierce being a better scorer?

http://www.nba.com/history/players/bird_stats.html
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/paul_pierce/

The school of thought...not my opinion...hear it alot on WEEI is because Pierce is a more versatile scorer, he can score in more ways than Larry could.

My opinion...if Pierce had those players (McHale,Parish,DJ) with him then he would score more than Larry. But Larry made those guys better and i don't think Pierce has that ability because he has limited court vision.

It's a shame that Pierce will never get the recognition he deserves unless somehow his team wins a championship. I hate to say if he does win one it won't be on the Celtics.

Cramden said:
It's a shame that Pierce will never get the recognition he deserves unless somehow his team wins a championship. I hate to say if he does win one it won't be on the Celtics.

I agree with you there Cramden..also, what hurts Pierce alot is his turnovers...those were a big :nono: with Bird.

Please

Using Pierce's name in the same sentence as Larry Bird is like comparing Alex Smith to Joe Montana. :singing:

Those who spout the ridiculous line that Pierce is a better scorer than Bird simply don't recall how good Bird was. He was a much better shooter than Pierce. He was a much better post player than Pierce. Pierce is slightly better of the dribble than Bird.

Not much of a comparison to me. Very different players, and Pierce just isn't in the same league. Amazing player, but unfortunately team success just hasn't come his way. Not a fair comparison for either party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes