PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 25-50+ GAS EXPLOSION in Andover, N. Andover, Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy behind the Governor has a little gas too.
I was going to make a joke about the street tacos I ate from a food truck last night and a gas explosion in my room that blew the roof off but I figured that it was too soon for that.

Last edited:
Sensors too.

Typical Massachusetts. Widespread incompetentce.

i would blame the utility and not massachusetts. columbia gas is a subsidiary of nisource, which is a utility serving customers in seven states. they've had other pipeline explosions in the past 10 years--west virginia in 2012 and kentucky in 2014.

natural gas accidents aren't rare. for reference:

List of pipeline accidents in the United States - Wikipedia

and

List of pipeline accidents in the United States in the 21st century - Wikipedia

both oil and natural gas incidents are listed (not all of which led to explosions), but there seem to be several explosions every year.

I was going to make a joke about the street tacos I ate from a food truck last night and a gas explosion in my room that blew the roof off but I figured that it was too soon for that.
Gotta be wary of street meat

i would blame the utility and not massachusetts. columbia gas is a subsidiary of nisource, which is a utility serving customers in seven states. they've had other pipeline explosions in the past 10 years--west virginia in 2012 and kentucky in 2014.

natural gas accidents aren't rare. for reference:

List of pipeline accidents in the United States - Wikipedia

and

List of pipeline accidents in the United States in the 21st century - Wikipedia

both oil and natural gas incidents are listed (not all of which led to explosions), but there seem to be several explosions every year.
No but i'll blame them anyway. :p

This may be tied to a union dispute/lockout of gas workers that has been in the news the last couple months. Some cities and towns suspended gas work for safety reasons because of it. The union workers warned of incompetent managers and outside contractors filling in to do their jobs. It may have been that or sabotage by the union to put pressure on the company.

Why did National Grid lock out Massachusetts union workers? Here's what to know

Last edited:
Also a computer virus could cause something like this. I wouldn't rule out an attack on infrastructure but it probably wasn't that. But scary that a virus could cause something like this.

Not only do I live in South Lawrence, I work right around the corner from Chickering Rd, where the first explosion in Lawrence happened that killed that poor kid in his car. We both heard and felt the explosion. I was outside smoking. It sounded like a bomb had gone off.

When the authorities started evacuating the plaza next door we all started to get very nervous. Our district manager then showed up and about an hour after that first explosion and when there were already about thirty fires burning we were finally told to go home. Well, for me that wasn't an option.

Thank God for friends. A friend drove down from Amesbury to pick me up and found all the exits closed. He had to circle around Andover and I had to take a three mile hike to meet him. It was quite an adventure. Somewhere along my hike I was interviewed by a guy in a Channel 10 van but who knows where that video will end up. :)

This may be tied to a union dispute/lockout of gas workers that has been in the news the last couple months. Some cities and towns suspended gas work for safety reasons because of it. The union workers warned of incompetent managers and outside contractors filling in to do their jobs. It may have been that or sabotage by the union to put pressure on the company.

Why did National Grid lock out Massachusetts union workers? Here's what to know
Those gas lines have been in place since before the Patriots were founded and need upgrading and replacing; the problem is that National Grid does not have the money or the resources to properly maintain them. They only profit $4.9 billion per year.

Not only do I live in South Lawrence, I work right around the corner from Chickering Rd, where the first explosion in Lawrence happened that killed that poor kid in his car. We both heard and felt the explosion. I was outside smoking. It sounded like a bomb had gone off.

When the authorities started evacuating the plaza next door we all started to get very nervous. Our district manager then showed up and about an hour after that first explosion and when there were already about thirty fires burning we were finally told to go home. Well, for me that wasn't an option.

Thank God for friends. A friend drove down from Amesbury to pick me up and found all the exits closed. He had to circle around Andover and I had to take a three mile hike to meet him. It was quite an adventure. Somewhere along my hike I was interviewed by a guy in a Channel 10 van but who knows where that video will end up. :)
Wow, what a crazy story! Thank you for sharing it with us. I’m very glad you’re OK.

I used to smoke and I seriously miss it but I’m very glad I quit. I hope you can too if you want to.

Wow, what a crazy story! Thank you for sharing it with us. I’m very glad you’re OK.

I used to smoke and I seriously miss it but I’m very glad I quit. I hope you can too if you want to.
I quit 10 years ago, and though the stress is a bit more, im probably more healthy for doing so, in some sense, i miss it and other (more) im angry that allow such a product on the market, not that i want them to remove it , but would agree raising the age to 21 and be hard on under age smokers more as or much as under age drinkers

went up that way today and exits 41-45 are still closed according to what i heard, it may be a week or so before they reopen (and you can go home) god bless you for family/friends , god knows what people without those connects would do without them, An apology is not enough, we need answers and accountability now

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST