PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Dolphins

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s procedural. Players automatically revert to the practice squad after the first 2 game day elevations, and Jax was his 2nd. No risk of losing him to another team under those rules. However, the Pats will need to actively sign him to the 53 man roster for Sunday if they want to use him since his 2 free elevations are up.
Thank you. Youz wikid smaht

How do PS signings work for other teams? Does the player get to bring the offer to the current team and request a better deal, or also just flat out deny the offer? It doesn't seem like it works out well that often. A bad team, or injury-bitten team will lure a guy off his invested team with promises of 53-man placement and higher paycheck. But many times, it's for a few weeks, then they end up sent back to that new teams PS anyway, or even released. And at that point, the original team he liked and had growing knowledge of might not take him back because of the apparent betrayal. Morale of the story - I hope we don't lose Wilk to that.

How do PS signings work for other teams? Does the player get to bring the offer to the current team and request a better deal, or also just flat out deny the offer? It doesn't seem like it works out well that often. A bad team, or injury-bitten team will lure a guy off his invested team with promises of 53-man placement and higher paycheck. But many times, it's for a few weeks, then they end up sent back to that new teams PS anyway, or even released. And at that point, the original team he liked and had growing knowledge of might not take him back because of the apparent betrayal. Morale of the story - I hope we don't lose Wilk to that.
Here’s a little primer that answers many of your questions. Everything you need to know about 2021 practice squad rules

One that isn’t answered there but can be found elsewhere - if a player signs with another team’s 53 man roster (e.g. Wilkerson signs with the Jete), he must remain that team’s roster for a minimum of 3 weeks. They *can* cut him earlier, but he gets paid for the full 3 weeks and the team cannot sign anyone else to replace him on the 53 man roster until those 3 weeks are up.

Someone call me out on this but it's a move with little risk of losing the player as it is very, very rare another team signs players of another team's practice squad this late in the year.
Wilkerson could have been signed by any team since he was released in preseason. Reactions here tend to extremes.

It’s procedural. Players automatically revert to the practice squad after the first 2 game day elevations, and Jax was his 2nd. No risk of losing him to another team under those rules. However, the Pats will need to actively sign him to the 53 man roster for Sunday if they want to use him since his 2 free elevations are up.
Unless they still have COVID list players, which is how they've gotten Ekuale up so many times.

In any case, my understanding is that Wilkerson wants to be a Patriot and has turned down offers from other teams.

Reactions here tend to extremes.
Tend? Thou art too kind.

Extreme equals noticed. Noticed equals loved. Loved equals...I don't know exactly where I was going here...nowhere good probably.

Not necessarily. If someone on the 53 man roster is on the Covid list (likely as things are going), then Wilkerson can be elevated as a Covid replacement which doesn’t count against the two standard elevations. That’s how the PS DT has been elevated from the PS so many times.

Any insight into Miami's front 7? Watched the Ravens game and they were terrifyingly prolific, and that they had something like 40 sacks over their 7 game win streak (I think 8 of which came from the Ravens, 7 the week before)

Did they prey on weak O-lines? Or will they be a good test for our O-Line rotation headed into the post season?

Dolphins are a unique last opponent:

Exorcise demons of our loss to them early in the season, which is great motivation

A team where record is both everything and also entirely inconclusive, in that, they have the capacity to stress test multiple units of your team, but are obviously very beatable.

All that to say, they're a team we should beat and with that win comes the confidence of exorcising said demons, but good enough that they can be one last check into some final kinks we'd want to work out of our team before it's single-game elimination time.

Any insight into Miami's front 7? Watched the Ravens game and they were terrifyingly prolific, and that they had something like 40 sacks over their 7 game win streak (I think 8 of which came from the Ravens, 7 the week before)

Did they prey on weak O-lines? Or will they be a good test for our O-Line rotation headed into the post season?

Exorcise demons of our loss to them early in the season, which is great motivation

A team where record is both everything and also entirely inconclusive, in that, they have the capacity to stress test multiple units of your team, but are obviously very beatable.

All that to say, they're a team we should beat and with that win comes the confidence of exorcising said demons, but good enough that they can be one last check into some final kinks we'd want to work out of our team before it's single-game elimination time.

Miami has a legit defense for sure. Some solid, versatile IDL, athletic and aggressive at ILB and DB. They added Jaelan Phillips in the draft who I am extremely high on.

That’s a darn good defense. Mac will need to be on his A-game and OL will need to bring their big boy pants.

Damien Harris needs 108 yards to make 1000. BTW, 4.7 YPC aint shabby.

None of the NE WRs can reach 1k regular season yards unless they go Jmarr Chase, but Myers (796 yds) and Bourne (776 yds) have been the most productive. Bourne has worked out great and is a keeper if you ask me

Good points. I'd like to see a 31-0 game.

Getting everyone ready for Tuesday's activities:
Even though it's her job - and she's great at it - I'm a little nervous about Ashley starting the pre-game thread instead of @sb1. It seems like he was on a real roll. So, in anticipation of the playoffs, can we do an audit? What is the team's record when each of you starts the thread? It sure seems to this totally not supersitious idiot that we should go wtih the hot hand for the wild card round.

Will be interesting to see if the Pats do anything tactical in this game regarding their seeding.

They'll know by gametime whether the #1 seed is still achievable. If it is not and then they see on the scoreboard that the Bills are blowing out the Jets - do they pull starters?

There is zero reason to rest the starters

They played a lot of terrible football teams over that stretch. Tennessee completely dominated them on Sunday. The fish were always pretenders. Baltimore are an 8-8 football team, and that was their best win on a short week over that stretch. The rest of the teams were the Giants clown show(sorry Joe), Jets twice, Panthers who have been in meltdown mode the second half of the season. Ian Book Saints, and the Texans.

They're in the top half of the league in defense but they aren't world beaters.

Even though it's her job - and she's great at it - I'm a little nervous about Ashley starting the pre-game thread instead of @sb1. It seems like he was on a real roll. So, in anticipation of the playoffs, can we do an audit? What is the team's record when each of you starts the thread? It sure seems to this totally not supersitious idiot that we should go wtih the hot hand for the wild card round.
Lol, thanks Brandon, yeah agree and I'm sure @sb1 will be back in time for the playoffs :)

There has to be some kind of roster-specific reason for Wilk to go back to the PS. I fully expect expect him to be on the game day roster.
There is -

"Two players can be promoted to the active roster on game days. They then return to the practice squad unless the team offers a one-year deal. But teams can't activate a player more than twice; after the second time, they must decide whether to promote him to the active roster."

Belichick is just maintaining maximum flexibility. If Nelson Agholor clears the concussion protocol (it's been more than two weeks since he was hurt) they'll probably activate him for the Dolphins game to see how he responds.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of Wilkerson, but if the Patriots can have him available as a fill-in in the playoffs, that could be big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back