PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official: Hogan to Patriots, Bills refuse to match offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don't understand what the hurry was for. Pats traded an extra 7th rounder to get the Dolphins to just trade Wes directly to avoid that five days as I recall.

I believe the extra 7 was to avoid using an offer sheet at all.

Saw someone on twitter say Bills may just be doing right by a guy they respect. Strange for football protocol, but good for all parties when every team knew the outcome already.
Miguel has the inside scoop already (although your point may hold true as well, would be really cool of the Bills to do that)

I believe the extra 7 was to avoid using an offer sheet at all.

The extra 7th was because the Pats had used a poison pill in the contract and they wanted to smooth things over..

Supposedly they didn't do that out of respect for Hogan.. Which speaks volumes about the Bills front office..

Yeah, I can't stand the team or the coach, but that move was all class. It sounds like they really like Hogan, which is just more good news for us. Maybe I'm a little naive, but I do think that moves like this ultimately help the team making them. I'm sure a lot of players don't pay attention to this, but some must.

So, the more I read about Hogan, the more intriguing he is.

Here's a guy who played only 1 year of college football, but he played on both sides of the ball as well as special teams.

He was listed as a WR at Monmouth, but also played safety. He was also their back-up kicker and back-up punter. Not sure why NFLDraftScout has him as a FB.

He took part in Fordham's Pro Day where he ran a 4.47 - 40 and pressed 225 a total of 28 times.

Monmouth's Chris Hogan goes from little-known receiver to buzzed-about NFL Draft prospect

What ya gonna do NFL when Chris Hogan runs wild on you!!!
giphy.gif

His combine numbers were a little better than LaFell's, nothing stunning. However he's now signed for 3 years, not LaFell's 1. Also he has better hands than his numbers indicate, he played through a wrist ligament thing that required surgery. Not a game changer, I'm sure, but should be a valuable contributor well worth a few million.

not a fan

What ya gonna do NFL when Chris Hogan runs wild on you!!!
giphy.gif

You're late.. Zolak already posted that on his twitter account.. *LOL*

Yeah I don't understand what the hurry was for. Pats traded an extra 7th rounder to get the Dolphins to just trade Wes directly to avoid that five days as I recall.
IIRC there was slightly more to it as it related to having some kind of a poison pill in the contract. 'Fins threatened with delay, Pats threatened with a poison pill and they got it sorted out.

His combine numbers were a little better than LaFell's, nothing stunning. However he's now signed for 3 years, not LaFell's 1. Also he has better hands than his numbers indicate, he played through a wrist ligament thing that required surgery. Not a game changer, I'm sure, but should be a valuable contributor well worth a few million.

Hogan wasn't a combine invite. He participated in Fordham's Pro-Day. And was supposedly still being talked up at the Rutger's Pro Day the next day..

The article I posted above says that he ran a 4.47 at the Fordham Pro Day. Which looks better than the 4.50 I found in other places..

One thing that stands out to me is that Hogan put up a 10'06 broad jump compared to the 9'7 Broad of LaFell.

I'm intrigued and kind of excited by the move.

Hogan wasn't a combine invite. He participated in Fordham's Pro-Day. And was supposedly still being talked up at the Rutger's Pro Day the next day.
You're right, I usually write "combine" generically for combine/pro day.

Anyway, despite being 10 pounds heavier, his 3 cone, shuttle and broad jump were all better than LaFell's. And, of course, he lifted a lot more.

The extra 7th was because the Pats had used a poison pill in the contract and they wanted to smooth things over..

There were rumors to that effect, but, to the best of my knowledge Welker never actually signed an offer sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back