PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2014 mock draft FAIL thread

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Post the atrocities.

I'll start with this one from draftsite.com (note this doesn't include comp picks, or today's trade):

1. DT Ra'Shede Hageman Minnesota
2. DT DaQuan Jones Penn State
3. CB Marcus Roberson Florida
4. DT Shamar Stephen Connecticut
6. DE Josh Mauro Stanford
7. DT Bruce Gaston Purdue

But wait a minute, there's a pick missing. Oh, yeah. . . .

6. K Chris Boswell Rice

:bricks:

Post the atrocities.

I'll start with this one from draftsite.com (note this doesn't include comp picks, or today's trade):

But wait a minute, there's a pick missing. Oh, yeah. . . .

:bricks:

So we're double double dipping at DT? Wait, in our system Josh Mauro would be a DT too (except when running 3-4). So that's 5 DT's. That's erm...interesting.

Edit: actually, aside from the no of DTs, I like all those picks except Gaston who I know nothing about. Would be pleased with Roberson in the 3rd too

I can't consider any draft that has us getting Ra'Shede Hageman a fail, although I don't understand the 5 DL. While I was one of the most vocal about bringing in some competition for Gostkowski in the offseason, he has been money this year and I haven't had any concern when he's lined up to kick like in the past. I'm all for camp competition but the cap ramifications of drafting a kicker in the 6th that doesn't have a great shot at making the roster isn't a great idea. I'm with manx on this one, like a lot of the individual picks but all together it doesn't make a lot of sense. But if we get Hageman I don't really care who else we get.

I posted about this one in another thread. For some reason Walt at WalterFootball keeps putting this one in his mocks.

58. New England Patriots: Michael Dyer, RB, Louisville
The Patriots, as we all know, like to take chances on troubled players. Michael Dyer would be a consensus first-round pick if he had a clean off-the-field history. New England may bring him in if Stevan Ridley's fumbling problems persist.

2014 NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com NFLDraftScout.com

29. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

(7-2) Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa: Whether relying on Tom Brady's precision passing or their running back rotation to move the ball via the ground game, Bill Belichick's most successful teams have controlled the line of scrimmage. Few develop offensive linemen like Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes and the NFL-ready Scherff could step right in and contribute in Foxboro.

:wha: :idontgetit:

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Mock Draft by Charlie Campbell - Round 2

Huh?

60. New England Patriots: Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State
The Patriots could use a young pass-rushing defensive tackle with Vince Wilfork aging and coming off a serious injury.

Sutton is having a disappointing senior season with 24 tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss and two sacks so far this year. He broke out for the Sun Devils in 2012 as one of the best pass-rushers in college football. Sutton picked up 13 sacks, 63 tackles, 23.5 tackles for a loss, five passes broken up and three forced fumbles. Unfortunately, an injury knocked him out for the vast majority of the game against Oregon. He totaled 33 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss and 2.5 sacks in 2011.

Sutton would be higher in the rankings if he were bigger. He is listed at 6-foot-1, 300 pounds, and who knows if that is exaggerated. At that size, Sutton would be best as a three-technique defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense.

All the downsides of Ron Brace and Joe Vellano rolled up into one! :bricks:

I don't know if this quite qualifies as FAIL, but I sure as hell wouldn't be jumping for joy with this one. . . .

RealGM Football: Encroachment: 2014 NFL Mock Draft, Version 3.0

29. New England Patriots: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State. Even though he’s had a tough season, Roby still has all the physical tools that NFL coaches want in corners. He’s long, he’s quick, he’s got a short memory on mistakes and he has exceptional long speed down the field. The Patriots love to draw from Urban Meyer programs.
61. New England Patriots: Christian Jones, LB, Florida State [6'4", 235]
93. New England Patriots: De’Anthony Thomas, OW, Oregon

I wouldn't hate Thomas. You've got your successor for Blount on kick offs :D . Jacoby Jones has been huge for the Ravens this year without doing much as a WR.

Honestly, that draft wouldn't be any more underwhelming at first sight than last year's draft, 2011's or 2006-2009's.

Tobin bridge time, from Charlie Campbell.

1. Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame
2. Loucheiz Purefoy, CB, Florida
3. Deshazor Everett, CB, Texas A&M

One of the two, maybe, but both. . . . :bricks:

I have no idea who DJ Boyer and Shasky Clarke are and I don't mean to dump on them, but I really don't like this full 7 rounder for the Pats:

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2014/

Rnd 1: Ra'Shede Hageman. - Good pick but unrealistic as far as I'm concerned.

Rnd 2 - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville - Not thrilled at the notion of a 2nd safety

Rnd 3 - Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia - Really don't like him until late in day 3 or even a priority FA. Just doesn't have the athleticism or dominant size to be a day two pick.

Rnd 4 - Jeremiah Attoachu, OLB, Georgia Tech - Meh. Admittedly haven't watched him this year so I'll reserve judgement but never really liked his fit for the Patriots. Less so now with Jamie Collins.

Rnd 6A - Eric Ward, WR, Texas Tech

Rnd 6B - Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane

Thompkins, Boyce, Moe and Harrison. Why draft TWO Wrs on day three to compete with these guys?

Rnd 7 - LaDarious Perkins, RB, Mississippi State -Fine.

I would be disappointed with this draft I'm afraid.

I have no idea who DJ Boyer and Shasky Clarke are and I don't mean to dump on them, but I really don't like this full 7 rounder for the Pats:

Rnd 2 - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville - Not thrilled at the notion of a 2nd safety

Rnd 3 - Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia - Really don't like him until late in day 3 or even a priority FA. Just doesn't have the athleticism or dominant size to be a day two pick.

Rnd 4 - Jeremiah Attoachu, OLB, Georgia Tech - Meh. Admittedly haven't watched him this year so I'll reserve judgement but never really liked his fit for the Patriots. Less so now with Jamie Collins.

Thompkins, Boyce, Moe and Harrison. Why draft TWO Wrs on day three to compete with these guys?

Manx: Re-read the first post in this thread. ;) :eek:

What is he not getting and what am I not getting? That draft was awful minus Hageman who I agree is long gone minus punching a cop in the face draft week or failing a piss test.

What is he not getting and what am I not getting? That draft was awful minus Hageman who I agree is long gone minus punching a cop in the face draft week or failing a piss test.

It's the same site is what he's getting at which I hadn't noticed. I actually really liked most of the players in that first mock, just that four DTs was somewhat overboard :confused: .

I like Lynch (although he should be round 4-5 value) and Ward but that's about it

Pryor is actually someone i'd love to get. Another safety so early is probably not happening and is certainly not my first option but IMO Pryor is good, very good.

And i havent watched Attoachu but i've only heard great things. He's regarded as a 2nd round pick right now.

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Mock Draft by Charlie Campbell - Round 3

Hmmm . . . what's missing from this explanation of why the Patriots should take McCarron?

93. New England Patriots: A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama
McCarron benefitted from an elite offensive line and running game throughout his time as a starter. He only had to make a handful of throws per game in order to contribute to wins for Alabama, even against good opponents. In most games, the Crimson Tide didn't need him to do anything other than hand the ball off.

In 2013, McCarron completed 67 percent of his passes for 2,676 yards with 26 touchdowns and five interceptions. He didn't play well against Virginia Tech or Ole Miss, but tore up a weak Texas A&M secondary.

McCarron completed 67 percent of his passes for 2,933 yards with 30 touchdowns and three interceptions in 2012. The junior had great looks to throw the ball because of Alabama's running game and star-studded offensive line. He connected on 67 percent of his passes for 2,634 yards with 16 touchdowns and five interceptions in 2011.

The Crimson Tide didn't let McCarron throw the ball that much. He had only 314 attempts in 2012 for an average of 22 per game. Teddy Bridgewater (419), Johnny Manziel (434), Tajh Boyd (427), David Fales (451) and Logan Thomas (429) all received a lot more experience throwing against pass coverage and pass rushes.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back