PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2011 Senior Bowl thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Acho with a nice play at the end on Demarco Murray in the backfield.

Btw: Is it the best idea to have the bills and bengals staff coaching these guys up? :p

Sam Acho did make his presence felt in that game. And his size isn't too bad either at 6'3 257. Could see the Pats taking a flyer in round 3 on this guy maybe. Did Beal do anything in this game?

Last edited:
I didn't see the entire game but the guys' names i heard called for having some impact plays/solid game:

Christian Ponder: Player of game
Christian Ballard: "very active"
K.J Wright: INT
Phil Taylor: Dominated his blocker 1:1 at several points
Hankerson: "Had a big day" could've been player of game
Von Miller: "Could've been the best player on either side of the ball today" "Played standing up most of the day, his sack came from the standing position"
Burney: Played well
South O-line: Dominated for the most part

I may have missed some as they did their brief sumary at the end of regulation. Just listing what i heard.

DE/OLBs Brooks Reed, Sam Acho and Ryan Kerrigan looked great IMO. Von Miller and Jeremy Beal looked pretty good too. We definitely have some options there in this draft class. :)

I hope we can find a place for CB Kendrick Burney. Maybe nickle or dime. He's a little smaller than I'd like but he was pretty darn good. Great on STs too.

RB Bilal Powell may only be 204 lbs., but he sure doesn't run like it.

I thought LT James Carpenter looked pretty good.

Man, I hope Buffalo spends a 1st on Jake Locker. Put a little pressure on him and he can't hit the side of a barn. :)

OG Rodney Hudson looked pretty good. But I have no idea about his versatility.

S Joe Lefeged from Rutgers looked like a good in-the-box SS.

OT Demarcus Love did not look good at all IMO.

OT Nate Solder was slightly disappointing IMO. Most of the game he did OK, but Acho embarrassed him once or twice.

Last edited:
Among those I haven't seen mentioned...

Up - Da'Rel Scott has track speed that translates to the football field. Able to turn the corner and make big yards out of a check-down pass.

Down - Anthony Costanzo should not be allowed to protect Brady's blind side. Have seen him allow too many clean runs at his QB in 1-on-1 situation.

I found it reassuring to see that if Pouncey gets by us, we still have the option of taking pretty good looking players like Watkins or Hudson in round 2.

Sam Acho with a nice play at the end on Demarco Murray in the backfield.

Btw: Is it the best idea to have the bills and bengals staff coaching these guys up? :p

Maybe the calculation was that, if these kids can look decent playing for THESE coaches, they ought to do pretty well in the NFL.

So is there any player who made you change your mind about them coming off their performance at the Senior Bowl?

For me, Jake Locker now has BUST written all over him. Couldn't handle pressure, couldn't get the ball off accurately all game.
Certainly I had heard that he had declined since last year when he was considered the #1 prospect, but I didn't expect him to look that BAD.

Powell also looked a lot better than I expected. Ran the ball hard and fast. I do not believe he fumbled all game. So that looks like something that could be coached up, but you can't teach his mix of speed and running ability. All of his clips on youtube show him making wide open runs for huge gains which doesn't tell me much. In the Senior bowl he was making harder yards inside the tackles as well. So my brief impression of him was rather positive.

Who is the Kerley guy? Looked like a fast slot receiver who could be useful. Problem is NE already has so many slot receiver types.

Phil Taylor is a load to handle. But NT's not really a need for us. He would be one heckuva a guy to have in goalline packages, but is that worth an early 2nd to us?

Last edited:
Phil Taylor is a load to handle. But NT's not really a need for us. He would be one heckuva a guy to have in goalline packages, but is that worth an early 2nd to us?

Food for thought: draft Taylor, get #75 to slim down a bit and shift him to DE? [Remember that Wilfork actually got All-Pro votes at defensive end!]

Last edited:
Food for thought: draft Taylor, get #75 to slim down a bit and shift him to DE? [Remember that Wilfork actually got All-Pro votes at defensive end!]

If Wilfork could take on the RDE spot, that'd be amazing. I recall him lining up on the left side this season, but I know he's lined up against Jake Long on the right in the past.

Then again, Taylor will probably be gone in the 1st. If he somehow dropped to the 2nd though, I'd be all for it.

I DVRed the Senior Bowl and watched it today. I'll post my reviews tomorrow..

OK.. Here is what I saw:

Leonard Hankerson - Makes very good adjustments. Hand Catcher. Good, but not great routes. Uses his body well. Long Strider

Titus Young - I was not impressed with him. He reminded me of Bethel Johnson. Body Catcher. Called for 1 Offensive Pass interference. Should have been called for a 2nd in the endzone. This raises questions about his brains.

Jeremy Beal - extremely aggressive. Called for 1 Off-sides. Should have been called for another. Good at finding the ball. Good change of direction.

Anthony Castonzo - Was horrible at LG and LT. Was pretty good at RT.

Nate Solder - Showed that he's still extremely raw. Probably going to be a RT in the NFL.

Richard Sherman - Tall at 6'2. Good Footwork for his size. Good change of direction. Very good vision. Know when to get his head around. Former WR.

Kendric Burney - High Energy Player. Slot Corner in the NFL. Also good on special teams.

Phil Taylor - NT/DE in the 3-4. Excellent push.

Ryan Kerrigan - Excellent Motor. Was late on finding the ball on one pass play when the QB moved out of the pocket.

Sione Fua - Could be a back-up NT as he lined up over center almost every snap.

Von Miller - This guy is getting Serious hype from Mayock. He was invisible in the 1st half. He made 2 plays in the 2nd half. One, however, was because Nate Solder just wiffed on his block and allowed Miller a free shot. That's not likely to happen with experienced LTs.

Last edited:
OK.. Here is what I saw:

Leonard Hankerson - Makes very good adjustments. Hand Catcher. Good, but not great routes. Uses his body well. Long Strider

Titus Young - I was not impressed with him. He reminded me of Bethel Johnson. Body Catcher. Called for 1 Offensive Pass interference. Should have been called for a 2nd in the endzone. This raises questions about his brains.

Jeremy Beal - extremely aggressive. Called for 1 Off-sides. Should have been called for another. Good at finding the ball. Good change of direction.

Nate Solder - Showed that he's still extremely raw. Probably going to be a RT in the NFL.

Richard Sherman - Tall at 6'2. Good Footwork for his size. Good change of direction. Very good vision. Know when to get his head around. Former WR.

Kendric Burney - High Energy Player. Slot Corner in the NFL. Also good on special teams.

Ryan Kerrigan - Excellent Motor. Was late on finding the ball on one pass play when the QB moved out of the pocket.

Von Miller - This guy is getting Serious hype from Mayock. He was invisible in the 1st half. He made 2 plays in the 2nd half. One, however, was because Nate Solder just wiffed on his block and allowed Miller a free shot. That's not likely to happen with experienced LTs.

I've actually had Sherman on my draft board since January 2010 and was disappointed when he didn't declare. Seems to me the guy could be our next deep centerfielder to replace Meriweather, if/when that becomes necessary.

Off the top of your heads? Anyone ever recall players having horrible weeks in the Senior Bowl and go onto have good NFL careers? I'm sure there has, I'm just trying to think of names.

I found it reassuring to see that if Pouncey gets by us, we still have the option of taking pretty good looking players like Watkins or Hudson in round 2.
Watkins yes, Hudson no.

Watkins yes, Hudson no.

Other than him being under 6'3" and only 291 lbs, what are your specific objections? Not questioning your conclusion, just wondering what else you know that might tend to eliminate him from consideration.

OK.. Here is what I saw:

From Senior Bowl game and practice performances, I got the impression that, of the top four OT prospects, only Sherrod actually looks good as a possible LT with Solder, Castonzo and Carimi all seeming better-suited for RT (though Carimi might handle LT okay in a pinch). Is that about what you came away with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft