PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not for nothing, but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
..... I happening looking at stats on nfl.com and I came upon this VERY curious one. I was looking to see who the leading tacklers were. You would assume that Danta Hightower would rank high on that list. He isn't he has 54 combined solo/assists tied for #97). In fact here is a list of some interesting player to Pats fans who have more tackles than the guy we are going to pat top dollar to next season, they include:

Johathan Cassillas (80)

Patrick Chung (73)

Tavon Wilson (60)

Devin McCourty (60)

Bobby Wagner leads the league with 127, while his teammate KJ Wright is 11th at 91 Former Pats special teamer Cassillas is thriving in NY at 28th, while no Pats player makes the list until you get to Chung at 41st

Just thought it might spark some debate given Hightower will be looking for a top money deal this off season, and while tackles aren't everything, they are important. Clearly the Pats defense is better with Hightower on the field, but isn't he supposed to be our key LB in the run game? I find it suprising that 2 former Pats cast offs would have more tackles than Danta. What do you think.

I think teams have in general had more success throwing against the Pats vs Running the ball this season. That might explain why their are more secondary tackles.

I think teams have in general had more success throwing against the Pats vs Running the ball this season. That might explain why their are more secondary tackles.
Also trying to play catch up when behind in the score might tend to encourage passing over running.

..... I happening looking at stats on nfl.com and I came upon this VERY curious one. I was looking to see who the leading tacklers were. You would assume that Danta Hightower would rank high on that list. He isn't he has 54 combined solo/assists tied for #97). In fact here is a list of some interesting player to Pats fans who have more tackles than the guy we are going to pat top dollar to next season, they include:

Johathan Cassillas (80)

Patrick Chung (73)

Tavon Wilson (60)

Devin McCourty (60)

Bobby Wagner leads the league with 127, while his teammate KJ Wright is 11th at 91 Former Pats special teamer Cassillas is thriving in NY at 28th, while no Pats player makes the list until you get to Chung at 41st

Just thought it might spark some debate given Hightower will be looking for a top money deal this off season, and while tackles aren't everything, they are important. Clearly the Pats defense is better with Hightower on the field, but isn't he supposed to be our key LB in the run game? I find it suprising that 2 former Pats cast offs would have more tackles than Danta. What do you think.
Tackles are an awful stat to use to judge defensive players. Often as is probably the case with Casillas you make more tackles when teams run at you (or complete passes to your man/zone).

The best example I can ever remember for this was in 2002 when bruschi was hurt and ted Johnson took his place as 43 MLB. Johnson was HORRIBLE. We gave up over 200 yards rushing (it was the first loss after a 12 game winning streak).
Johnson was credited with something like 14 tackles and the next day comments were being made how Johnson made so many tackles and must have played well.
I went back to the take and on his tackles they gained something like 160 yards. They ran right at him all day. They blew him off the ball and by the time he recovered to get in the tackle or just fall on the pile it was an 8, 10,15 yard gain.

Too bad ya can't keep em all... Casillas was a solid player for the Pats.

I never liked seeing him out on defense but he seems to have really earned respect on a good team, so he must have improved.

He's only played in 10 games and has missed more than half of a couple more. The contract isn't about when he's playing. It's about when he's not which has been often in his career. That position players tend to get dinged up and I'm sure a lot of start ILBs miss games too but it will still be questionable if Bill wants to invest top dollars in an injury risk. Don't use Gronk as an example as a counter argument. Even with his time lost to injury the team has made out on that deal. We're talking a top LB now vs the GOAT TE.

I never liked seeing him out on defense but he seems to have really earned respect on a good team, so he must have improved.
He is too small to play LB for us except in obvious passing situations.
He is a special teamer who can cover pretty well but is useless in the running game unless he is backside chasing it without being blocked.

Tackles are an awful stat to use to judge defensive players. Often as is probably the case with Casillas you make more tackles when teams run at you (or complete passes to your man/zone).
[...]
For example, check out #9 on this list, want to bet Casillas had the coverage?
Next Gen Stats Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft