PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No hope of signing Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
"We've talked to them about a new contract. What they offered isn't even worth discussing. It's disappointing. You want to believe that they know what you've done. So you hope for the best, but end up feeling underappreciated. You feel disrespected, especially (with) how they come at you with so much negative stuff. They show you such a low regard. I took it personally at first. You'd think I would have been around this team long enough to realize that it's all about business." -- New England cornerback Asante Samuel

Posted on 12:51 PM EST.

Last week another article stated that Samuel is sporting a new tattoo...something with a money logo.

whats the source of this comment?

It's too bad, Asante's been fun to watch. But, hey, we move on and we draft well, and we replace Asante's play at a fraction of what he'll be getting paid. It's the Patriot way. He's just not in the handful worth breaking the bank over.

"We've talked to them about a new contract. What they offered isn't even worth discussing. It's disappointing. You want to believe that they know what you've done. So you hope for the best, but end up feeling underappreciated. You feel disrespected, especially (with) how they come at you with so much negative stuff. They show you such a low regard. I took it personally at first. You'd think I would have been around this team long enough to realize that it's all about business." -- New England cornerback Asante Samuel

Last week another article stated that Samuel is sporting a new tattoo...something with a money logo.

I started saying Asante was gone when he got to 6 picks on the year. He wants to get paid? Fine. I'm not going to get swept up in all the "Is he staying or going" talk that's going to happen after the season's over. They'll find another scrap heap DB and coach him up or draft a stud DB.

Man I think this is old news ...
I think it was first posted just before the playoffs started?:confused:

BTW, there is always a chance;)

that quote was from a while back. Maybe he's opened up the patriots eyes a bit more since then.

i think this is jackie mcmullan ..she did this interview a long time back and published it on the day the playoffs began

I think this is old news and Asante will be back. Both sides are playing tough, but after the season ends for us (on Feb. 4 :)), they'll sit down and negotiate in earnest. If Asante is intent on being the top paid CB, it won't happen, but if he has any desire to stay with a winning franchise and is willing to be among the top 4 or 5 paid CBs, I bet he'll be here. Good CBs are awfully hard to come by, and Asante seems to get better each year.

Man I think this is old news ...
I think it was first posted just before the playoffs started?:confused:

BTW, there is always a chance;)

You know what, I love Asante. He's from right here South Florida (Lauderdale Lakes) and I actually covered him in high school (I work as a freelancer for the Sun-Sentinel covering Broward and Palm Beach County HS football).

I must admit, I don't remember him from his days at Boyd Anderson High School, but after the Pats drafted him, I looked back at my old rosters and sure enough, there he was!

So I kind have a personal connection to him - covered him in HS, playing for my favorite pro team.

But, all that said, Asante just does not strike me as one of those "gotta sign" guys.

In fact, on this current Pats team, to me, there are only a couple of "gotta sign" guys - Brady, Koppen, Warren, Wilfork, Seymour and Vrabel.

If Asante wants to go for the dough, God bless him.

But maybe he should put a call into Damien Woody, Chad Eaton, Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest, et al, first!

Choices:

1. Stay in New England, win and make a lot of money
2. Leave New England, probably lose and make a kaka-load of money!

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about this. Certainly i dont want to see him go but the first 5 games of this season he was getting toasted like the past two years.

If BB doesn't slap the Franchise Samuel, it will be the first time that I think he has made a serious mistake.

Given our 2007 salary cap position, his 2006 performance, and the very poor free agent market, I think it would be a very serious mistake to do otherwise.

Using the tag could have three different outcomes:

1. He accepts a one year deal for less than $8M. I think, factoring in the significant salary inflation that will occur this off-season, that this is an excellent price for his current level of play.

2. He will negotiate a long term deal with the Patriots that includes the kind of bonus that he wants, but still keeps his cap hit within the range that BB thinks is acceptable.

3. We can use the non-exclusive franchise tag or trade him. If there is a team out there willing to pay two first round picks for the privilege of signing Samuel to a new deal, it would be a GREAT deal for the Patriots (in the long run). Because of the incredibly poor free agent market this year, I actually think this is a possibility.

The Tatoo says "Show me the Money"

but unfortunately for Asante BB got another tag for him, and it's called "franchised". The Pats can franchise him for two years, at the end of which they would end up paying him alot less than if they had to signed him to a five year deal with a huge signing bonus.

For what we are going to pay him.we can pick donnie edwards from chargers and get a 2 CB through draft in the higher rounds and another younger LB.

Like this year it will be bad for a few games but i think by mid season we will be rocking. We need to start to save cap for warren and big vince our bread and butter.

These are from the same article, which is Old News, from Jackie MacMullan's piece which came out on the eve of the playoff game with the Jets. The tattoo reads "Get Paid".

If he doesn't want the whole bank on his contract, he may end up in Miami. How would you guys feel about that?

If he doesn't want the whole bank on his contract, he may end up in Miami. How would you guys feel about that?

Wouldn't matter much, the problem for the Dolphins has never been on defense :)

1. Old news.

2. I was under the impression we were playing in the AFC title game this week, or did I fall asleep and it's already March?

Drew4008, any reason why you would want to post quotes from Jackie MacMullen's story that ran the morning of the Jets playoff game 10 days later and not attribute it?

Asante needs to be back next year. The Patriots aren't going to come close to finding a Corner of his caliber in FA. This years draft doesn't boast any true shut down corners, so the draft won't be the place to fix that. Samuel has played as well as any corner during the last 3 qtrs of teh season and has carried that into the playoffs. If Asante isn't back next year our defense will be exposed as our Secondary will be below average!

I've already heard this quote. Let's wait till the offseason to see what happens but the Pats better have Plan B in place. Don't make the same mistake we did with Branch. His tattoo says "get paid" if you really want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe