PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

N'Keal Harry (lack of) Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have time for a comprehensive answer, nor access to much film, but I think we saw a few signs over the last few games that show he can be an inside/outside player with some promise in this offense. As you noted, he's been a good blocker. He had several excellent crackback blocks that sprang outside runs. He's competed hard on numerous snaps where he didn't receive a target, whether it was blocking or running off coverage for others.

Can he succeed as an outside receiver? Yes, probably. I don't know that he has the raw speed to consistently threaten deep, but that can be mitigated by suddenness, footwork, and body positioning. His concentration/hands show progress. His releases are more violent, and he's starting to use his size to his advantage. He's got room for further improvement (he's only played in 10 career games, I believe, and he's actually younger than several of the rookies from this class).

I wish I had replay available so that I could highlight several of his routes. I noticed him open a few times on Sunday, but the ball went elsewhere for whatever reason. He's going to get chances, though. With all of the injuries, his volume of targets should stay relatively high.

His comebacks are getting cleaner/sharper, although he could still stick his foot in the ground with a bit more authority.

His bread and butter should be slants, posts, fades, comebacks, crossers, etc, which fit in just fine with what the Patriots have asked from X receivers in the past. If he can also make things work in the screen game and get some designed open field runs, then I don't see why he can't be a good part of the puzzle. He may never evolve into the alpha of the pack, but I think he'll be a good contributor by year's end.

Given Edelman's health, I still think we need another receiver, preferably a strong route runner with some suddenness and speed to keep defenses from cheating up and playing everything underneath.

good info

Devante Parker’s problem was health. He was always contributing to those Miami teams when healthy.
Actually it wasn't just his health!!!
A few inserts on an article on Parker and his development. I can see a comparison between Harry and Parker in this same type of development.

He was too inconsistent at the catch point—where he’s supposed to be at his best—and that left a lot of significant plays on the field, ones you’d expect him to come down with. That changed as he got more involved in 2019, making more plays than in previous seasons. Parker still struggles with separating against man and press coverage, so he’s not exactly a Stefon Diggs, Keenan Allen, or Amari Cooper in terms of route running expertise. That didn’t matter with the aggressiveness of Fitzmagic in 2019. So to answer the question about the sustainability of Parker’s success, I think we know who he is at this point in terms of skill set. He’s a jump ball demigod that’s developed sensational hands as of late and a key asset to the Dolphins’ plans of rebuilding. Consistent separation isn’t exactly his thing at this point, though with further development from Preston Williams, Mike Gesicki, etc, it could open up more space for Parker.

Link on bottom, good read in some similarities between Harry to Parker development in my opinion.

Can DeVante Parker keep this up after a breakout year?

Last edited:
I don't have time for a comprehensive answer, nor access to much film, but I think we saw a few signs over the last few games that show he can be an inside/outside player with some promise in this offense. As you noted, he's been a good blocker. He had several excellent crackback blocks that sprang outside runs. He's competed hard on numerous snaps where he didn't receive a target, whether it was blocking or running off coverage for others.

Can he succeed as an outside receiver? Yes, probably. I don't know that he has the raw speed to consistently threaten deep, but that can be mitigated by suddenness, footwork, and body positioning. His concentration/hands show progress. His releases are more violent, and he's starting to use his size to his advantage. He's got room for further improvement (he's only played in 10 career games, I believe, and he's actually younger than several of the rookies from this class).

I wish I had replay available so that I could highlight several of his routes. I noticed him open a few times on Sunday, but the ball went elsewhere for whatever reason. He's going to get chances, though. With all of the injuries, his volume of targets should stay relatively high.

His comebacks are getting cleaner/sharper, although he could still stick his foot in the ground with a bit more authority.

His bread and butter should be slants, posts, fades, comebacks, crossers, etc, which fit in just fine with what the Patriots have asked from X receivers in the past. If he can also make things work in the screen game and get some designed open field runs, then I don't see why he can't be a good part of the puzzle. He may never evolve into the alpha of the pack, but I think he'll be a good contributor by year's end.

Given Edelman's health, I still think we need another receiver, preferably a strong route runner with some suddenness and speed to keep defenses from cheating up and playing everything underneath.

Great post. That 13 yard catch was his best all season so far.

A few inserts on an article on Parker and his development. I can see a comparison between Harry and Parker in this same type of development.

He was too inconsistent at the catch point—where he’s supposed to be at his best—and that left a lot of significant plays on the field, ones you’d expect him to come down with. That changed as he got more involved in 2019, making more plays than in previous seasons. Parker still struggles with separating against man and press coverage, so he’s not exactly a Stefon Diggs, Keenan Allen, or Amari Cooper in terms of route running expertise. That didn’t matter with the aggressiveness of Fitzmagic in 2019. So to answer the question about the sustainability of Parker’s success, I think we know who he is at this point in terms of skill set. He’s a jump ball demigod that’s developed sensational hands as of late and a key asset to the Dolphins’ plans of rebuilding. Consistent separation isn’t exactly his thing at this point, though with further development from Preston Williams, Mike Gesicki, etc, it could open up more space for Parker.

Link on bottom, good read in some similarities between Harry to Parker development in my opinion.

It's not even a close comparison. Parker put up 500 yards as a rookie then almost 800 the next year.

No Kidding, terrible.....

And did you see Edelman 2 catches on 6 targets for 23 yards, idk why we keep these stiffs around, they are trash.....:rolleyes:

On a serious note it was a run heavy game plan, give the guy a break!
Julio Jones had 2 catches for 24 yards two weeks ago. Falcons should cut this bum

body positioning

In his final season here Gronk wasn't getting separation either (especially see his performance against the Rams in the SB), but he made catches on exactly this type of skillset. Anyone looking at the All-22 will also see that there are times Harry has been open by STEPS (plural) but has been the 3d or 4th option and hasn't gotten looks. Add in a very high run to pass ratio too decreasing the number of potential passes going his way to better illustrate what he does well and what he doesn't. Sample size too small, ask again later...

Harry is now playing with the productivity of a 3rd, more likely a 4th receiver. Not good enough for a first rounder. Harry needs to do more after the catch. If this guy plays 16 games and ends up with fewer than 40 catches it will be very safe to call him a bust. 40 catches is not that much to ask from your first round pick, even in a run-first offense...guys like Devin Funchess, Ted Ginn, the corpse of Jerricho Cotchery, and Brandon LaFell have all put up 40+ catches w Newton in Carolina

It's not even a close comparison. Parker put up 500 yards as a rookie then almost 800 the next year.

This is Harry's second year. Harry only played in 7 games last year. We have only had three games so far. and he is on pace for 773 yards this year.

This is Harry's second year. Harry only played in 7 games last year. We have only had three games so far. and he is on pace for 773 yards this year.

Come on, Moose.. It's clear that DKF doesn't care about facts.. He just needs a player to hate on..

interesting article but what is the comparison to Harry?

Harry actually displayed first round talent on that touchdown catch... he still has zero YAC Ability which stinks

Harry has made a few catches in traffic last 2 weeks that have impressed me. He needs to do a better job of creating leverage if he isnt going to get a ton of separation. That one throw yesterday on 3rd down that was a "jump ball" that he could only get one hand up was a good example... was it a hold? maybe, but he needs to fight through that.

I really do think he can be a solid WR for us long-term. Never going to be OBJ/Julio Jones/Hopkins etc... but a solid #2 would be great.

Harry has made a few catches in traffic last 2 weeks that have impressed me. He needs to do a better job of creating leverage if he isnt going to get a ton of separation. That one throw yesterday on 3rd down that was a "jump ball" that he could only get one hand up was a good example... was it a hold? maybe, but he needs to fight through that.

I really do think he can be a solid WR for us long-term. Never going to be OBJ/Julio Jones/Hopkins etc... but a solid #2 would be great.

Fenton had a full on grasp of Harry's left arm. The fact it wasn't called DPI was laughable. Just like the laughable "in the grasp" call that supposedly negated the Pats interception. The only calls that the officials got right without any questions were the false start calls.

Fenton had a full on grasp of Harry's left arm. The fact it wasn't called DPI was laughable. Just like the laughable "in the grasp" call that supposedly negated the Pats interception. The only calls that the officials got right without any questions were the false start calls.

remember they threw a flag when harris might have been hit oob late then picked it up? They cut the replay though as the next play was starting so I didn’t get a good look again but in real time it seemed like a penalty. DEF more than the ‘late hit’ on the Mahomes dive later on. As bad as the past games vs kc in regards to officiating this may have been the worst game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents