PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ninkovich and Banta-Cain, your NE Patriots starting OLB

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did people see specifically from Jermaine last year that make them so confident he will turn into a pass rushing stud next season? That one play against the Colts? How many pressures did he have last year? Sacks aren't always a good indicator as to one's productiveness in the pass rush. See TBC and his 10 sack season. 5 of wich came against one team.

Doesn't matter what 'people' see, it does matters what BB and the staff see every day in practice, the film room )their study habits and smarts, the weight room and the game performance and improvement game to game.

Just a guess he has spent more time studying Cunningham and understands his work ethic and upside better than anyone on this board. Same goes for every other player on this roster.

hopefully they get a free agent? I'm dumbfounded right now. :(

Doesn't matter what 'people' see, it does matters what BB and the staff see every day in practice, the film room )their study habits and smarts, the weight room and the game performance and improvement game to game.

Just a guess he has spent more time studying Cunningham and understands his work ethic and upside better than anyone on this board. Same goes for every other player on this roster.

BB hasn't been exactly the best evaluator on drafting OLBs the past decade.

So what has BB been seeing the last 4 years? Our pass rush and our defense in general has be mediocre at best in the last 4 years. What did BB see years ago that made him think this defensive pass rush was going to be OK. We gave up 1st down conversions at a 48% clip on third down last year.That is absolutely pathetic. We managed to make the previous years 3rd down defense look good by comparison.

Drafting OLB? Other than Jermaine the next great pass rusher Cunningham, who else has he even drafted. Its the lack of investment at the position that pisses me off. He has no problem throwing draft picks at the CB, Safety, TE and linemen positions. Yeah we missed on some of them until we got them right but I can accept that. Its the lack of investment that I don't get.

He hasn't exactly spent too much capital on them either. They have all been pretty much flyers.

So you're saying he has been ignoring pass rush in an increasingly pass happy league?
BRILLIANT!
brilliant.jpg

Mark Sanchez lighting us up has nothing to do with our pathetic pass rush?

Our pathetic pass rush didn't throw an interception or drop a TD pass.

Mark Sanchez lighting us up has nothing to do with our pathetic pass rush?
He didn't 'light us up'. We lost the game on offense.

Drafting OLB? Other than Jermaine the next great pass rusher Cunningham, who else has he even drafted. Its the lack of investment at the position that pisses me off. He has no problem throwing draft picks at the CB, Safety, TE and linemen positions. Yeah we missed on some of them until we got them right but I can accept that. Its the lack of investment that I don't get.
Maybe this will help you.
There are college CBs, Safeties, TEs, G, T, etc, etc.
There really are not college 34 2 gap OLBs.
If you are 'investing' your pick, would you think it was wise to use a really valuable one on a guy who has never played the position you are drafting him for?

So in 11 drafts there hasn't been 1 player that was worthy of being picked. Funny . Other teams seem to find them.
We have picked LBs. We have also signed them as FAs.
You do realize that drafting an OLB means you are picking a player to play a position he has never played in his life right?
Our 34 2 gap OLBs are typically around 260 lbs.
There isnt a LB in college that big.
Many teams have DEs that are smaller than we need OLBs to be to run our system.

Are you really saying that its a good plan to use our highest draft picks on players who haven't played the position?

Let me be proactive about your likely response.
If you really are going to say "Then we should change the system" you really need to look at the results before you go down that indefensible road.

Maybe this will help you.
There are college CBs, Safeties, TEs, G, T, etc, etc.
There really are not college 34 2 gap OLBs.
If you are 'investing' your pick, would you think it was wise to use a really valuable one on a guy who has never played the position you are drafting him for?
So, again, then where are these 3-4 2gap OLB going to come from that can play this system? Are they going to hatch them? Genetically engineer them? Say **** it and roll out 5 D linemen?

So, again, then where are these 3-4 2gap OLB going to come from that can play this system? Are they going to hatch them? Genetically engineer them? Say **** it and roll out 5 D linemen?

They're going to grab them when they come. Cunningham is a great fit. Smith and Quinn were really the only fits this year, although I (apparently wrongly) thought Bailey had a chance.

You draft them (McGinest, Cunningham, TBC) you develop them (Ninkovich, Woods, Vrabel, Chatham) you sign them as FAs after someone else develops them (Colvin, Pfifer, Thomas).
It isn't easy. Somehow you seem to think that means we are supposed to spend high picks on guys who have never done it?

It would be an absolute joke for either Tully or Ninkovich to being starters on this team.

Tully is a back up at best, Nick is a 3rd string special teamer.

B1tch, b1tch, b1tch, moan, piss, and cry. Did you look at the record, 14-2, not 2-14. While Ninko and Cunningham were both starting for the first time.

Go follow a loser like the still expansion Cleveland Browns if your not happy...

I intend to say the same to all the predictable ass cavities who know zero!

Last edited:
So you expect a rookie to protect Brady's blind side?

And if Fletcher is one of our starting OLB, then I'd say you're nuts.

When Light got hurt and the rook Vollmer went in,how did you feel about that?.....ask Dwight Freeney:rocker:

I would think that if the terrible trio could get in the same zip code as Sanchez we might have had a better chance.
Our 3rd down defense has been horse **** the last few years. The pass rush unit is a big part of the problem. Yes the DB haven't covered themselves in glory either but it seems like while we throw plenty of pics to those particular positions (CB/S) in hopes to fix it but in 11 drafts we used how many 1st or second round pics on the pass Rush? Where are our pass rushers going to come from if we don't think anyone on 11 drafts is worth drafting? Will they hatch them in the bowels of Gillete? Or is the stork going to bring them.

Grow up bozos. We ran through 8 Defensive linemen to injury and had to play a CB as a DL in the playoffs. And you really think a pair of new starters at OLB were the problem??

B1tch, b1tch, b1tch, moan, piss, and cry. Did you look at the record, 14-2, not 2-14. While Ninko and Cunningham were both starting for the first time.

Go follow a loser like the still expansion Cleveland Browns if your not happy...

I intend to say the same to all the predictable ass cavities who know zero!

**** off...Ninko and Cunningham had little to do with us going 14-2. Put any name in there and it wouldn't probably make a difference.BB has ****ed up drafts before so it's very legit to question him.

You draft them (McGinest, Cunningham, TBC) you develop them (Ninkovich, Woods, Vrabel, Chatham) you sign them as FAs after someone else develops them (Colvin, Pfifer, Thomas).
It isn't easy. Somehow you seem to think that means we are supposed to spend high picks on guys who have never done it?

Gee Whiz somebody else is using rationality when they could just :

B1tch, b1tch, b1tch, moan, piss, and cry. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes