PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Insider: Brady could threaten Manning's 49 TDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see it happening, Brady plays in the Northeast in November and December, not a climate controlled bubble like the hayseed does...............

Isn't Brady on the Injury Report for this week, he may not even be playing...

I think BB will use whichever (whatever) means possible to score TD's and if that means calling Brady to (pick your receiver) a record number of times then I don't see any reason why BB would shy away from using what is clearly his biggest strength on offense ..... the pass.

Brady will not beat the record because of the following reasons

1. BB wants a more balance offence than that....the only way brady will have 50 TD is if the running game has 35 TDs.

2. December weather will make it harder to get the passing TDs.

3. manning got the record the season after the Colts changed the pass interference rule and it was tough for defences to adjust to defending the pass (until the AFCCG :rocker: )

4. It doesn't matter.

1. BB wants a more balance offence than that....the only way brady will have 50 TD is if the running game has 35 TDs."

At the end of the day all BB cares about is putting up 7's instead of 3's. If this goal is best served via the air then he'll throw the ball in order to accomplish this. Simple as that.

2. December weather will make it harder to get the passing TDs.

Some think inclimate weather favours the offense since they know the route they are running. Can you imagine the poor soul CB who has to defend a Brady to Moss (with his hands) pass while slipping and sliding all over a wet or frozen field?

Mmanning got the record the season after the Colts changed the pass interference rule and it was tough for defences to adjust to defending the pass (until the AFCCG :rocker: )

Seems defenses are still struggling throughout the NFL trying to stop the pass.

4. It doesn't matter.

Maybe it does!

4. It doesn't matter.

Did Testaverde getting a 20th straight season with a TD pass matter?

BB loves him some history. If Brady can set the record without harming the team, BB may well let Brady go for it. But, right now, it's far enough away that I doubt BB's given it much thought. That said, if Brady somehow has, say, 45 TD passes after 14 games--look out.

Last edited:
At the end of the day all BB cares about is putting up 7's instead of 3's. If this goal is best served via the air then he'll throw the ball in order to accomplish this. Simple as that.

BB would like to run it in as much as pass it. Putting it in the air in the red zone too often will burn you...esspecially if the other team knows you score most of your TDs by the air. BB wants defenses to to fear the run just as much as the pass.

Some think inclimate weather favours the offense since they know the route they are running. Can you imagine the poor soul CB who has to defend a Brady to Moss (with his hands) pass while slipping and sliding all over a wet or frozen field?
usually in snowy and rainy games teams will keep the ball on the ground just as standard practice, till you're losing then it's do whatever you can.

Seems defenses are still struggling throughout the NFL trying to stop the pass.

they do, but not as bad.

Maybe it does!

records all get broken sooner or later
how many times has the running TD record been broken in the past 5 years.

Last edited:
By the way, I think it may be a bad sign if Brady breaks the TD record.
BB and Brady are not out for records. 16 of our 20 offensive TDs have been passes. If that continues, its a sign the running game in the red zone is an issue.
I would say, in a perfect world, if we continue to average 4 offensive TDs a game, currently 16 passing and 4 rushing ( a pace of 51 and 13) will turn into more like 40 and 24.
Was it a bad sign when we won 21 games in a row?

edit: I reread your post and now realize what you meant when you said "bad sign" - you were not talking about karma or superstition, you were talking about indicative statistics (if that makes sense).

Last edited:
49+ is a TALL order, and credit should be given to Manning for that. As amazing as Brady has been, he'd had to maintain that pace for the next 11 games, too.

That said, this is the first year that Brady has ever had anything comparable to Manning in terms of receivers. If Brady had these receivers all along, the debate over who is the better QB would be less intense.

Although Morris has been a beast, passing in the red zone may be the Pats best option. No one can cover all of Moss, Watson, RB, etc from 5 and in. Especially in the New England winter.

I don't expect Brady to set the record, but there is no apparent reason why he won't get well into the 40's. That is historic proportions on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back