PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New York Post: Mangini hot for the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
JtudsJetsFan said:
How and why did Belichick jilt the Jets?

Are you kidding?? When Parcells jumped ship for the Jets for the 1997 season he took Belichick with him. Pete Carroll was hired to coach the Patriots. Anyway, the deal was that when Parcells retired BB would become the headcoach of the Jets, it was in BB's contract. Parcells decided that the 1999 season would be his last as the Jets coach and he would move to the front office. Belichick was going to be named as the head coach, while Parcells moved to the front office. BB resigned moments before a press confrence was to begin to announce him as the new coach. He scrawled a note saying that he was resigning as the HC of the NYJ and held an odd press confrence. Bob Kraft had fired Carroll and wanted to hire BB and it is rumored that Parcells stepped down to prevent BB from coming to the Patriots. There was a big court thing and it was finally resolved that BB would be let out of his contract in exchange for the Patriots number one draft pick for that year. Thus setting the precedent for coaches leaving one team and going to another in exchange for draft picks.

I thought every Jets fan knew this story.........sheesh!

one of the worst jobs in the league

CTPatsFan said:
Well said MoLr. I think that is key. IF he decides to take the job, our D may take a hit. But I just don't see him being ready for a HC job, especially with an organization in such disarray where he may not have the control he needs.
it's not the worst--that can be left to the owners in arizona, oakland, and n'awlins. if i were BB i would try to make sure that mangini understands that. it could be seen as trying to talk him out of a job.
no stadium, uncertain authority, flighty ownership, aging team, new york media.
however, IMO has HAS to take it. second dog is required to take an opportunity to be top dog.
he's really young and inexperienced for a job like this. MAYBE this is the HC job where he fails. he gets a chance to look at himself, see weaknesses clearly, like BB did. Mangini can also stand to age a few years.
only problem: BB did his learning in Clevelend. Mangini will do his in Noo Yark Chity. i live in southern ct and have to listen to the mets-jets-nets-knicks-rangers-yankee stuff when i'm in the car. rush os on EVERY other station.

I know there is no rule to the contrary if it is a promotion, but there should be some sort of rule about losing coordinators in consecutive years.

At least allow for some sort of draft pick compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News