1. Jason Allen S/CB
2. John Alston S/LB
3a. Chris Gocong LB
3b.
4a. Jennings WR W. Michigan
4b. Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida
5a. Reggie McNeal QB/WR Texas A&M
5b. D'Arrius Howard RB Arkansas

Not one comment on my brilliant Mock Draft?

mcbee said:
Not one comment on my brilliant Mock Draft?

okay, i'll bite....who's this invisible guy at 3b?

and I really like Jason Allen in the first....he's moving up I think.

mcbee said:
1. Jason Allen S/CB
2. John Alston S/LB
3a. Chris Gocong LB
3b.
4a. Jennings WR W. Michigan
4b. Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida
5a. Reggie McNeal QB/WR Texas A&M
5b. D'Arrius Howard RB Arkansas
Gocong is nice, but I'd prefer to take an LB in round 1 or 2. I don't see S/CB as nearly as important of a need as LB (or WR for that matter, or even RB). The first two picks you have are really safeties - and that doesn't seem to be a real important need right now (Hawkins, Gus Scott, James Sanders are all decent replacements for Rodney if he can't come back).

I'd MUCH rather spend picks 1 and 2 on guys like Bobby Carpenter (ILB/OLB) and Joseph Addai (RB) if they're available there (which is fairly likely). The other picks are decent, although I'd like to see at least one OL on day 2 (in part because day 2 OLmen seem to have a higher probability of being decent players than day 2 people of almost any other position, plus we can use more depth on the OL).

Player to be named later.

Hard to say who they'll need or will be available. Could be an OL/G or a DE/LB.

Bettin' that 3b pick is a beast! :rocker:

Heres my Mock

1. Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno St.
2. Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame
3. Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA
4. Mike Hass, WR, Oregon State

This won't happen but I'd love to see it

Here is my mock that will never happen.
1. Lawson
2. Marshall (with trade up)
3.a Parham
3.b Alston

Ceresco said:
Heres my Mock

1. Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno St.
2. Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame
3. Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA
4. Mike Hass, WR, Oregon State

This won't happen but I'd love to see it

Replace Hass with Mark Anderson and then the Pats would have hit the "NEED" areas that people think.

Personally, I would hope for Lawson in the 1st, Marshall in the 2nd, Addai and Avant in the 3rd.

Remember, the wars are won in the trenches.

Odlirama said:
Here is my mock that will never happen.
1. Lawson
2. Marshall (with trade up)
3.a Parham
3.b Alston

Not a bad draft, but you totally ignore WR, which is a much bigger issue than ILB or Safety.

DaBruinz said:
Replace Hass with Mark Anderson and then the Pats would have hit the "NEED" areas that people think.

Personally, I would hope for Lawson in the 1st, Marshall in the 2nd, Addai and Avant in the 3rd.

Ceresco did a nice job, there are DE/LB candidates on the second day who would be servicable. That said, I'd feel better taking a CB later and trying for a LB or OT early.

DaBruinz said:
Not a bad draft, but you totally ignore WR, which is a much bigger issue than ILB or Safety.
Honestly, there is no WR in this draft that I really like. Plus I don't think BB will go into the draft hell bent on filling the holes at WR. Who knows if by that time there will be such a need for WR as there is now.

DaBruinz said:
You don't view LB as a need at all?

I don't see how people can view CB as a greater need than LB. FOr a 3-4 right now, we have Vrabel, Rosey, Bruschi, and....? TBC? TBC hasn't proven himself as a reliable starter. He's a decent backup and STer, but starter?

At CB we have Samuel and Gay as starters, Hobbes as the NB (or Gay here and Hobbes as the starter). All that's needed is backup depth. But at LB we're missing a starter. So how is CB a greater need than LB?

Addai in the 3rd? Most mocks have him going early in the 2nd now.

I'd like to see Carpenter in the first (trade down a bit to pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder), Addai or one of the other RBs early in the 2nd (trading up), and any of the WRs listed above are fine in the 3rd. Then an OT and/or OG on day 2, and I'm happy. If we can't get one of the RBs in round 2, we could go with another LB or a CB if there's value there.

big mike said:
You don't view LB as a need at all?

big_mike - Not sure where you got the idea that I don't view linebacker as a need at all. Especially after you read my second post that had me taking Lawson in the 1st round. I also see Mark Anderson as a potential replacement for McGinest at OLB in the 3-4.

big mike said:
I don't see how people can view CB as a greater need than LB. FOr a 3-4 right now, we have Vrabel, Rosey, Bruschi, and....? TBC? TBC hasn't proven himself as a reliable starter. He's a decent backup and STer, but starter?

At CB we have Samuel and Gay as starters, Hobbes as the NB (or Gay here and Hobbes as the starter). All that's needed is backup depth. But at LB we're missing a starter. So how is CB a greater need than LB?

The problem seems to be in your assumptions, not everyone elses. You made the assumption that I didn't have LB as a need when I clearly did. And, since you missed it, the Patriots have only 3 CBs signed for next year. Samuel, Gay, and Hobbs. That means they need more. Especially with the way they lost CBs to injury last year.

big mike said:
Addai in the 3rd? Most mocks have him going early in the 2nd now.

And many mocks have the Patriots taking Demeco Ryans to be in ILB in the Pats system. Have you been paying attention to the free agent signings in the league? Many of the teams that were thought to be considering a RB have signed one. RBs are sliding again. Just like they did back in 2004. If the Pats got Maurice Drew instead of Addai in the 3rd round, I'd still be a happy camper.

big mike said:
I'd like to see Carpenter in the first (trade down a bit to pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder), Addai or one of the other RBs early in the 2nd (trading up), and any of the WRs listed above are fine in the 3rd. Then an OT and/or OG on day 2, and I'm happy. If we can't get one of the RBs in round 2, we could go with another LB or a CB if there's value there.

Sorry, I don't see Carpenter as being and adequate OLB for the Pats system. Nor do I see RB as a need to be addressed by trading up in the 2nd round.

At LB, the Patriots need someone who is going to be a LEADER. Someone who can recognize plays and call out the changes needed as well as step up during the games.

DaBruinz said:

Lawson, Marshall, Addai, and Avant on day 1 would get an A+!

Haas ran the 3 cone drill in 6.52 at his pro day. That shows me quickness and change of direction. Granted he only ran a 4.65, but with short area quickness coupled with his hands, I think we need to re-investigate him as a candidate.

Ochmed Jones said:
Haas ran the 3 cone drill in 6.52 at his pro day. That shows me quickness and change of direction. Granted he only ran a 4.65, but with short area quickness coupled with his hands, I think we need to re-investigate him as a candidate.
Bingo! After watching him in the Shrine Game, I really wanted to see him at the Senior Bowl, but I'm betting he would have been just as productive working with the allegedly better QBs against the (to my eye) better CBs. That is why I constructed my WR board with he idea of targeting Hass in the 2nd, then having fall back options if he wasn't there.

Fun to look back. Somebody brought up the cone drills which made me find this thread but people are talking about Addai and Jones-Drew in the 3rd round. Some of the other stuff was closer to true but it just goes to show how much will change between now and the draft and these posts are a month later on the calendar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News