PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Clearing the Patriots Draft Notepad, Morse’s Morsels

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I like their draft better than yours. To each his own.
Trade up for Mingo? Nope.
Keion White was a homerun pick in round 2. He will play a lot of good football for the Pats. Mingo would barely see the field. Some people liked him a lot, I agree, but he was drafted at about the point where I think the TOP WRs in this class should have gone.

And please, no more ACL guys.

The draft fell off the rails not moving up to get an OT in the third round. Did we try?

We had the ammunition.

The Alabama player you mentioned, Steen, who played in Dante’s preferred conference, the SEC for four freakin’ years, makes me agree with you. He would have been a welcome and needed addition.

What impresses me the most about Steen is he doesn’t get rattled. He stays calm. And he’s experienced. Maybe it’s from his Medal of Honor winning grandfather.

Our OT group isn’t the worst in the League. But we’re easily in the bottom third.

Our defense is very good, especially with our two top fantastic draft picks.

We will likely regret not being able to draft Steen. I know he went earlier than expected.

Not getting a bona fide LT (Sidy Sow is YTBD) OR a TE makes this a blemished draft. A missed opportunity.

We gave up 120 to the Jets to move up to get a kicker, a dubious move, and then the Jets got their LT at our former pick in Carter Warren.

We should have gone offense in the third round. TE was there. Tucker Kraft. Mapu was obviously a reach.

But the defense-minded head coach/GM couldn’t help himself. He didn’t do what was best for the team. He did what he wanted.

Last edited:
I like their draft better than yours. To each his own.
Trade up for Mingo? Nope.
Keion White was a homerun pick in round 2. He will play a lot of good football for the Pats. Mingo would barely see the field. Some people liked him a lot, I agree, but he was drafted at about the point where I think the TOP WRs in this class should have gone.

And please, no more ACL guys.
You don't know that I think J Mingo is a poor mans A.J. Brown or a Alshon Jefferey. That said I love the K White selection.

You don't know that I think J Mingo is a poor mans A.J. Brown or a Alshon Jefferey. That said I love the K White selection.
Of course I don't know that - it's all projection.

My big problem with Mingo is the same concern when the Pats drafted Harry: New England doesn't throw contested catches.
Mingo doesn't get separation.

MORSE: Clearing the Patriots Draft Notepad, Morse’s Morsels
Mark Morse
With the draft in the rearview window, I am cleaning off the notepad with some thoughts about what happened to the Patriots and who they picked.

The post MORSE: Clearing the Patriots Draft Notepad, Morse’s Morsels appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

There are a few problems with your article.

-You don't state WHICH draft chart you're using for your trades. There are 3 different ones floating around.
-You have it wrong in regards to the Colts/Vegas trade. The Colts traded #35 to Vegas for #38 & #141. The Colts then traded #38 to Atlanta for #44 and #110. So, the Colts actually traded #35 for #44, #110, and #141.
-You completely ignore the fact that teams don't just make trades based on points. They make them based on where the trade leaves them and who it keeps them ahead of. Look at where #44 was. It was still ahead of GB, NE, WAS, DET. In fact, you'll notice that as soon as Brents went off the board, Detroit made a trade with GB to get #45 so they could take Brian Branch. Someone whom the Pats were thought to hold in high regard.
-I'd put money that the Colts had talks with some of the teams from 39-43 (CAR/NO/AZ/GB/NYJ) and had a strong feeling that those teams weren't going to be trading out of those spots or taking a DB.
-Mingo was over-drafted being taken early in the 2nd round. That's coming from someone who likes Mingo and believes that, used properly, he can get more than enough separation and be successful in the NFL.
-People talk about Steen having been in the SEC while pointing out the Bill O'Brien connection. They ignore that the connection can work both ways. Just as you did. You don't seem to consider at all that B'OB knew what he was getting in Steen and that it wouldn't be an improvement to what the Pats already have.
-How can you say that Jake Andrews was "a big reach" when they said during the broadcast that numerous teams that one of the broadcasters talked to had a 5th round grade on Andrews? Considering that 5 more IOL were taken in the next 15 picks, it's not really that much of a "reach". It's also not hard to think that Andrews might have been gone before the end of the 4th.
-If Olu Oluwatimi is such a great Center prospect, why is it that he wasn't considered the top center prospect going into the Draft? Why wasn't he considered of of the top Offensive Line Prospects going into the draft? Why did every team pass on him until the 5th round when he went to the Seahawks? Why did the Seahawks not take him over Anthony Bradford, Cameron Young, or Mike Morris? Those were the 3 picks the Seahawks made ahead of taking Oluwatimi in the 5th round.

Here is what Dane Brugler's analysis of Oluwatami's weaknesses are. While it's only one analysis, there are some pretty glaring issues:
1683318798147.png

Here is what Brugler said about Jake Andrews weaknesses:
1683318889060.png

Andrews "short" arms are 32 1/8" long compared to 32 6/8" for Oluwatimi.

1683319170227.png

There's a reason that @BaconGrundleCandy didn't have Oluwatimi on his PTP list of IOL.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back