PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Article (Branch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent read, thanks.

"Fortunately, the Patriots still have a huge core of players who deeply want to win more than they want to be rich."

It isn't about winning versus being rich because one million dollars a year is not chump change or shouldn't be in anyone's book. Anyone being paid like that would comfortably be in the top 10% of earners in the whole WORLD!

It seems to be more about greed in my view. I can understand how a person would want to be compensated like his peers and Db's contract this year surely reflects that he will be one of the "bargains" if he decides to play this year like he did last year. But the Patriots extension offer, though it did not exactly address the 2006 salary per se also guaranteed him more money whether he played 3 years, 5 years, or got injured and had to retire in the 2006 season. Some accounts have it at between 8-11 million dollars over the course of a 3 or 5 year contract. Deion is being Greedy and is not seeing the forest for the trees. The Pats made a decent offer with only two teams willing to supposedly beat the figure the Pats gave. It's not as if they were being extremly "cheap" with him at all.

Deion is looking for his big payday. What he should have done is either sign the extension with the Pats or play this year out with the hope that he remains injury free in the 2006 season. He wants to have his cake and eat it too and as we all know from history, it's not like that strategy worked very well for Marie Antoinette either.

Last edited:
I think it's about EGO, more than anything. Deion and Chayut are PI$$ED off and apparently have been since they were "forced" to sign the 5-year deal. In essence, Chayut is retroactively GETTING that 4-year deal he wanted in the first place, and trying to pull a power play with the Patriots. He's angry, Deion's angry, they both feel full of righteous indignation and they think they're going to get what they feel they deserve.

It's a real shame b/c there were few players I like personally more than Deion. He seems like a ridiculously good, humble guy. It's bizarre to see how different he is from what I had observed. There is no one, Johnny Damon included, who I will ever root for more strongly to FAIL in a gigantic way than Deion Branch. I don't wish injury on any player, but at this point, if Deion got hurt AS A PATRIOT, I Would have no sympathy for him. I would say, Good. That's called Justice. Have at it, Jauron-head.

patsox23 said:
It's a real shame b/c there were few players I like personally more than Deion. He seems like a ridiculously good, humble guy. It's bizarre to see how different he is from what I had observed.
I have met Deion twice at camp...and now it just seems PHONY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft