PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New 7 Round Pats Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bad although so many people are uncertain of Ziggy in our defense, it makes me nervous. I am intrigued about where Alphonso Smith would go, especially where we would take him, he's too darned shot but, oh, that playmaking. And boy do we need it with Samuel gone.

A lot of people won't be happy with the first two picks, but the analysis is pretty sound.

I would be very happy with Alphonso Smith. The guys plays with an attitude, is quick, and, best of all, has great hands. He talks a lot, but that is fine. Ty Law used to talk a lot too.

A lot of people won't be happy with the first two picks, but the analysis is pretty sound.

Perhaps, although I think you can make essentially the same argument for Darius Butler that you can for A. Smith, and the same sort of argument for Connor Barwin as for Z. Hood.

Exactly the kind of draft I'm afraid of seeing, and not just because it would mean yet another year of failure for my drafty-nikking prowess :(.

1. Alphonso has a lot to like, but a recent Pro Football Weekly report indicated a bone-on-bone situation in one knee... With the current depth at CB and his pedestrian (for CB) Combine, that medical flag bumps him to the end of Round Two for me.

2. Levitre also has a lot to like, I'm just not convinced he's on NE's radar and is a better option than Eric Wood or T.J. Lang. Your UDFA option of Seth Olsen actually looked better to me in his All-Star game than Levitre did in his... :confused2:

2. Pat White, intriguing, yet discouraging too in light of how this draft played out.

3. Mike Thomas - if you've already drafted White, why?

4. Appleby - you overpaid, your UDFA Francois would be a better value here (and I'd take him later than Rd 4 too).

Since you list Davon Drew as a UDFA TE, let me just suggest you try to beat Atlanta to Ryan Purvis before you chase Drew. Fantastic sticky mitts with better use of his body to shield the ball.

Good call on Boltus, Dixon, and Willingham.

Now lets get Warner and Benson drunk and see how they do. :singing:

This wouldn't be my dream-come-true draft, but I suppose I could live with Alphonso Smith, Ziggy Hood, Andy Levitre, Pat White, WR Mike Thomas, S David Bruton, ILB Antonio Appleby and the rest, including NT Sammie Lee Hill. I'm a bit surprised the only OLB is Brandon Long at #199, who only started one year at Michigan State.

Last edited:
I can't see that draft happening -- no way.

First of all, Alphonso Smith is not going in the first round. He's a 5'8" corner who can't break 4.5 in the 40. There are at least three guys ahead of him at corner (Davis, Jenkins, Butler). There would have to be a major run at corners in the first for him to go that high, and if there was such a run, there would be players at other positions dropping. Plus that's just not going to happen: this is a draft where the run, if there is one, is going to be on tackles, pass-rushers, and maybe wide receivers. If the Pats really like Smith they can hang out and pick him at #34. Or, more likely, #47.

And Ziggy Hood, a guy who has been an upfield penetrating-type DT all his life, with the second pick? And no linebackers until Antonio Appleby -- who is universally described as the most coaching-averse, underachieving linebacker in the draft? That seems like a very weird collection of players. The only thing about it that's realistic is that we're all likely to be just as shocked when the real draft happens. But I don't see it going this way.

That would be a horrible draft. Smith is a reach at 23. I'm not convinced Ziggy Hood is a good fit as a 3-4 DE. Levitre is a huge reach at 47. Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News