PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NBC feature on Madden & Stingleys at halftime of 49s-Seahawks tonight

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

Just saw it.

I know football is a physical game but I still get upset at Jack Tatum.

It was a preseason game! It was dirty blindside hit. Even worse considering that Jack Tatum was already an established player in the league, 7 year vet. It's not like he needed to impress anyone.

Just saw it.

I know football is a physical game but I still get upset at Jack Tatum.

It was a preseason game! It was dirty blindside hit. Even worse considering that Jack Tatum was already an established player in the league, 7 year vet. It's not like he needed to impress anyone.
My first though was that it should have been Tatum pouring into Stingleys life not Madden.

Wow, I knew that Madden had reached out but I didn’t know it was that deep. Thanks for sharing,

I had two reactions....

1) A little odd that the two sons had never met. How did they avoid each other if their dads were so close?

2) I'd love to hear the Patriots' side of why nobody stayed behind with Stingley. I read an article which said that Madden was upset Stingley was alone in that hospital. I'd like to think there was a good reason the team didn't. But I've never heard.

Thanks for sharing. On a team with a lot of good players, Darryl Stingley was my favourite player. I vividly remember 45 years later sitting in my grandfather’s pickup when I heard of what had happened on the radio.

I’m glad to hear the Stingleys are still a football family. Madden’s humanity was a good part why he was such a great broadcaster and ambassador for pro football.

I had two reactions....

2) I'd love to hear the Patriots' side of why nobody stayed behind with Stingley. I read an article which said that Madden was upset Stingley was alone in that hospital. I'd like to think there was a good reason the team didn't. But I've never heard.
I don't think this is a good excuse but things were just different then I was just watching Bye Bye Barry and During Barry's career he had 2 teammates get paralyzed and while they were talking about it I saw that in the panic and aftermath of one of them you can clearly see a lion teammate rushing the stretcher and backboard onto the field and this is 20 years after Stingly.

Stingley is the most tragic event in our team history

Respect to Madden, a great man

Stingley return at Schaefer Stadium on 1979 in a game against Pittsburgh was stunning
Standing ovation for more then 5 minutes

Fans and playiers together showing love for him

Last edited:
I've been avoiding this thread because it still bothers me so much. The coward behind Stingley's loss of a career and eventual death was Tatum, not Madden. Tatum then sunk lower when, years later after ignoring Stingley, he asked him if he could interview him for a book about how tough Tatum thought he was. What a POS.

I suppose some people might place blame with Madden because the team was being sold as tough, but his response was class all the way. It probably bothered him to see it as much as it bothered me. It still does if I watch a video of it.

I'd love to hear the Patriots' side of why nobody stayed behind with Stingley. I read an article which said that Madden was upset Stingley was alone in that hospital. I'd like to think there was a good reason the team didn't. But I've never heard.
Give that the Patriots (thankfully unsuccessfully) tried to cancel Stingley’s health insurance I’m not remotely surprised.

The Sullivans were cheap, garbage people.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back