PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My email to Wilbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I possibly disagree with someone so omnipotent that they can judge the intent of a total stranger at high speed during a football game? Since you clearly know exactly what Pollard's intent was, it seems fruitless for me to argue it. My only hope is that you'll one day use your gifts for the betterment of mankind.

Your way off, i am not judging or even talking about pollard and i have not even mentioned wilfork once, i am trying to dissect the '' exact wording of the rule for hits to the knee of QB's '', you have a gift for dodging specifics of nfl rules, you must be a lawyer.

Try to stay on topic please.

Your way off, i am not judging or even talking about pollard and i have not even mentioned wilfork once, i am trying to dissect the '' exact wording of the rule for hits to the knee of QB's '', you have a gift for dodging specifics of nfl rules, you must be a lawyer.

Try to stay on topic please.

Here's the rule, as you quoted it:

“no defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction.”

Rules are written this way so that they can be interpreted on a case-by-case basis. Was Pollard's path unrestricted? Maybe at the exact moment he hit Brady, but Morris had just been on his back. Judgment call. Was it flagrant? Maybe in the opinion of some here.

What you seem to be arguing is this - any hit on the QB below the knee when he is in the pocket should be a fine. And maybe you're right, but the rule clearly allows for interpretation in this matter (which I happen to think is a good thing).

Last edited:
Here's the rule, as you quoted it:

“no defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction.”

Rules are written this way so that they can be interpreted on a case-by-case basis. Was Pollard's path unrestricted? Maybe at the exact moment he hit Brady, but Morris had just been on his back. Judgment call. Was it flagrant? Maybe in the opinion of some here.

What you seem to be arguing is this - any hit on the QB below the knee when he is in the pocket should be a fine. And maybe you're right, but the rule clearly allows for interpretation in this matter (which I happen to think is a good thing).

I am '' looking for acknowledgement by the nfl rulemakers that the hit below the knee was illegal as stated by nfl rules'' , the fine is irrelevant to me. I do not think the hit was dirty but according to nfl rules i do think the hit was ''illegal ''. I hope i have made myself clear because i am moving on to football related topics from now on. Thank you for the debate, over and out, peace.

I am '' looking for acknowledgement by the nfl rulemakers that the hit below the knee was illegal as stated by nfl rules'' , the fine is irrelevant to me. I do not think the hit was dirty but according to nfl rules i do think the hit was ''illegal ''. I hope i have made myself clear because i am moving on to football related topics from now on. Thank you for the debate, over and out, peace.

The legality of the hit seems to hinge on several factors, as I outlined above. In my judgment, not all of those factors were clearly met by Pollard's hit. Therefore, I don't think it's as clear cut as you suggest that the hit was illegal, and obviously the NFL agreed.

Will a $10,000 fine bring Brady back next week? More importantly would it even make you feel better? It's done with. It wasn't a cheap shot and you guys are just getting bent out of shape this time because it was our guy.

I'm not even going to get into whether it was dirty or not, there's enough of that already here.
What I think needs to be re-iterated, is that Carson Palmers knee injury was EERILY similar to Toms IMO, and I was under the impression that the reason the rules were made more stringent, was because of/after his injury.

Weren't the rules about "Below the knee hits" toughened after that season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGcNRb5WI1g

I swear to God if I ever see Wilbon I am intentionally going after HIS knees. And Kornheiser is getting a StoneCold Stunner just for being his idiot sidekick.

Yes they are! That's the point! Contact made at the point where the ball is not in the QBs hands is illegal and dirty. THAT is a dirty play. Contact made at the point where the ball is IN the QBs hands is legal. That's been the ruling in the NFL for years. What part of this are you guys not understanding?

While I haven't read every post, I've yet to see one that claims the contact was a late hit. Anyway, I'm not making that claim so Brady having the ball is irrelevant to me.

So you are saying that ANY contact with a QB holding the ball is legal? Your statement in bold implies that. Blows to the head are illegal. Grabbing the facemask is illegal. Grabbing the back of the shoulder pads and then falling to the ground is illegal. Spearing with the top of the helmet. Driving the player into the ground. And on and on. So just because a QB (or any other player) has the ball doesn't mean that ANY contact is by definition legal. No posts that I've seen have made the assertion that QBs holding the ball shouldn't be touched.

Dude, Morris TACKLED him to the ground. A point in which should have been flagged and called holding. Notice the word HOLDING in there. Pollard was on his stomach, not all fours.

Agree with everything you wrote, including the holding penalty. Everything I've discussed happened after this point. So the whole issue is around what happened after Pollard disengaged from Morris. Really don't need to argue about anything that happened before then because your points are factual.

First of all, Pollard didn't go for his knee. Pollard went for Brady's legs.

What Pollard intended to do is irrelevant and completely unknown to you and I. And the last time I checked, the knee is located at the approximate midpoint of the leg.

It's a move that's very common in the NFL when you're lower than your opponent.

The commonality or uniqueness of a move is irrelevant to whether or not it is legal. And what you can do to a lineman or RB is different than what you can do to a QB in the pocket. You may not like it, but that is fact.

As Pollard (with Morris on his back) went to sack/stop Brady, Brady stepped into the throw with a little extra something. That's common of a deep pass from a quarterback. As Brady stepped up to make the throw, the side of his knee collided with Pollard's helmet as Pollard was on the ground. It was that point in which he was hurt.

That is total fantasy but I will give you points for originality. Saying that Pollard lunged in front of Brady and was on the ground, then Brady stepped into Pollard with the side of Brady's knee hitting his helmet. Wow. If this is what you saw, I totally understand your point of view now. I would suggest you go to www.lenscrafters.com as soon as possible.

Encourage that type of play? Sure. I'll encourage real football for the rest of my life. Do you want to encourage the league to put a pink skirt on the quarterback? Good luck with that.

If the same play happened in every game this weekend and every starting QB in the league was put on IR, would you feel the same? That would lead to some "real football", wouldn't it?

Once again me and MoFo are the only ones making sense and stating facts in a controversial thread while everyone else is bringing their opinions in.

The only facts you have (not a late hit, Pollard was held, Brady had the ball), nobody is disagreeing with you. Your observations about the actual contact are enjoyable to read but are hardly factual. You don't need to bother continuing in this thread. Anyone who thinks that Brady knee initiated the contact with Pollard's helmet has made their point perfectly clear.

In October 2007, you stated that you would go after Tom Brady late in order to injure him if you were playing against him.

When you said this, I felt it was totally irresponsible to suggest this as a national sports writer.
Now Brady has been taken out by a cheap shot dive to the knee, just like you suggested.

My question is: Are you happy now?

You must be so proud that someone took your advice to heart.

-----------------------------------------------------
I just sent this on the Washington Post website since Wilbon is one of their writers.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/michael+wilbon/

So did he ever get back to you? The reply is what I'd really like to see.

yeah i know, it is insane. then they wanted to fire him again for the pacman jones comment. nothing even close to as bad as what this jackass said. btw does he still do work for espn? if he does no pats fan should watch sportscenter or PTI or whatever other **** they have on that network until he his fired

yeah its funny that he calls someone a hoe....stupid but funny....and here Wilbon openly says he would actually go out of his way to hurt an human being....where is the justice in that....

I agree....personally FESPN shouldn't be allowed any where near the Patriots Organization due to their fantastic handling of Spygate.....

All right, I'm going to say this ONCE and that's it.

PTI is the one show on ESPN that I try to watch on a regular basis (although not anymore since I'm trying to boycott them altogether after last night) and I saw the episode where this started.

Wilbon did NOT - I repeat, NOT call on anybody, in any way, shape, or form, to lay a cheap shot on Brady or anybody else. What he said was that the Patriots may be putting Brady in danger because with how good last year's team was, he thought some other team's defensive player would try it out of frustration, so the Pats should consider taking him out earlier. Nor does Wilbon have a problem with the Patriots or any other team "running the score." His view is if you don't want the other team to score, stop them.

Besides, if you think NFL players or coaches sit around watching TV shows looking for advice on their next opponent, you're out of your mind.

Find Wilbon's Washington Post article from today, if you can. I thought it would have been posted here by now (maybe it is, but the damn thread is 8 pages... only read 2...)

Not TOO terrible... but he does go out of his way to gleefully state that the Pats could very possibly go 6-10, and to note that there's not much sympathy around the league for the Pats on this injury (I think that was more of a compliment than anything.)

Wish I rememebered it better. I remember thinking when I read it at lunch, oh boy the Patsfans guys will lose it now...

PFnV

So how is it a cheap shot when the NFL ruled it a legal hit. You're only making Pats fans sound like bigger whiners than they already are.

Why are you pretending to be a Patriots fan?

My two cents....Pollard didn't intentionally hurt Brady.

He was just giving his best effort to disrupt the play. Just like Wilfork last season. That being said, diving at the QB's legs is a stupid and irresponsible play. The league is making a mistake by not discouraging this type of thing.

Part of me questions whether the league's response would be the same if it happened to another team or if it had been a Patriots player guilty of the transgression. There seems to be a bias coming out of the league office against the Patriots. Just my opinion.

So...was it a dirty play in that the defender intentionally tried to hurt the QB? No. But it was a play that shouldn't have happened. Defenders need to be smarter in regards to diving at the QB's legs.

PTI is the one show on ESPN that I try to watch on a regular basis (although not anymore since I'm trying to boycott them altogether after last night) and I saw the episode where this started.

Wilbon did NOT - I repeat, NOT call on anybody, in any way, shape, or form, to lay a cheap shot on Brady or anybody else. What he said was that the Patriots may be putting Brady in danger because with how good last year's team was, he thought some other team's defensive player would try it out of frustration, so the Pats should consider taking him out earlier. Nor does Wilbon have a problem with the Patriots or any other team "running the score." His view is if you don't want the other team to score, stop them.

Besides, if you think NFL players or coaches sit around watching TV shows looking for advice on their next opponent, you're out of your mind.
Verbatim quote from Wilbon: "...if I was the opposing coach, I'd hit Tom Brady with everything I had as late as I could and take the penalty and join the fight that would surely follow." Look it up.

For those of you defending Wilfork's hit, here's a refresher. Two things stand out to me.

wilforkpospk8.gif

1) It's clear that the ball was gone. Defensive players need to be aware if the ball is gone before they hit the QB. At the very least, that was a very late hit.

2) It's clear that at the last second, Wilfork extended his elbow. I can't interpret WHY he did it or if he had malicious intent, but the elbow was extended and hit Losman directly in the knee. It's hard not to qualify that action as at least 'suspicious'.

Fair or not, Wilfork does have a rep as a dirty player in the league. That can affect how people, including league officials, interpret what they see.

Wilfork can argue it wasn't intentional. Anyone has the right to believe him. I don't think the league could let that go, however. Whatever his intentions, he hit a QB after the release with his elbow to the knee. I don't see any way they could let that slide.

Last edited:
yeah its funny that he calls someone a hoe....stupid but funny....and here Wilbon openly says he would actually go out of his way to hurt an human being....where is the justice in that....

I agree....personally FESPN shouldn't be allowed any where near the Patriots Organization due to their fantastic handling of Spygate.....

yes, and people who worked at espn, such as steward scott and steven a smith, both were on there talking about how imus needs to be fired. did they say anything like that about this? if so did they say it on tv?

hell, it would not suprise me at all if a lot of people at espn are laughing about this because of what tom brady said about that awful network last spring.

Last edited:

so are you saying this is not accurate? he did not say this....

Tom Brady's Knee: I can understand Bill Belichick's desire to crush every team in the NFL, but why keep your franchise QB in there to do it? One cheap shot helmet to the knee and it's goodbye Super Bowl unless Cassell suddenly gets good.

Michael Wilbon: You're absolutely right. And if I was on the opposing team, I'd hit Tom Brady with everything I had as late as I could and take the penalty and join the fight that would surely follow. Football is a violent game and there's got to be somebody out there sharpening his fans for the Patriots Golden Boy in the 4th quarter one of these weeks.

because this link http://www.fanhouse.com/2007/10/29/mike-wilbon-id-hit-tom-brady-with-everything-i-had-as-late-as/ says he did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back