PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Power Rankings Idiocy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NormZauchin

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Despite one of the best wins in Bill Belichick's coaching career, the 27-0 upset thrashing of the Houston Texans, the Patriots fell out of first place in ESPN's Power Rankings. The Broncos, with their victory over Cincinnati, have replaced them. The Power Rankings have always been a laugh to read, but this year the panelists seem more insane than ever. Arizona and Carolina are both 1-2, have not looked good, and are positioned at 5 and 8, respectively.

It's just opinion. FWIW I've seen the Pats as number 1 on several, such as the one posted on nfl.com today.

Well power rankings are certainly BS but being replaced by Denver kinda makes sense. Im glad the Pats are not playing Denver this weekend, not without Brady thanks.

Eagles have scored the 2nd most and given up the least, they are 3-0 and are ranked 7th. It looks like Power Rankings are as much based on past years performance then this years. I imagine Patriots dropped more because we have 2 injured QB's and no Tom Brady. It's a testament to BB that Patriots are still ranked 2nd.

Garrapolo is not 100% and neither is Gronk. Hightower is prob still on the shelf. All the Power Rankings are about is now. Number 2 is fine company.

My Power rankings based on how strong i think each team will be come playoff time all things being equal by what i have seen the first 3 weeks.

#1 Pats
#2 Pitt
#3 Seattle
#4 Denver

-Gap

#5 Carolina
#6 AZ
#7 GB
#8 Philly
#9 NYG
#10 Dallas
#11 Minn
#12 Baltimore
#13 Cinci
#14 Oak
#15 KC
#16 SD

I will stop there as i am just not interested in the rest as i don't think any of them are good.

The AFC South is SOOO bad but luckily the AFC is top heavy so i don't think any really good team will need to sit home because of it.

The NFC will have a fun playoff race as i see 8-9 teams that look like decent playoff contenders this year and arguably deserve a spot. Someone decent will need so sit home which will make that race fun.

Why do we have a problem with the super bowl winners retaining the number one spot? I'm not happy about it, but I can't fault anyone for rating the defending champions at the top of the list. We'll just have to knock them off. Victory will be that much sweeter.

Just how stupid are we to give a crap about power rankings after the 3rd game of the season. BTW- As much as it hurts me to say this, Denver is the defending Superbowl champions and are also 3-0 starting a 2nd year first time starter at QB that no one every heard of before this season. They SHOULD be ranked number one until someone beats them.

Personally I'd like to be #15 right up to the playoffs, because your "power ranking" could be the LEAST most important stat in footbal.

Broncos are the SB winners, look to have upgraded the QB position and are 3-0. Doesn't bother me at all.

It won't affect the play of the field (certainly not in a negative way) and any fans would be complete homers if they didn't think the Pats had a chance to beat them (and visa versa).

Despite one of the best wins in Bill Belichick's coaching career, the 27-0 upset thrashing of the Houston Texans, the Patriots fell out of first place in ESPN's Power Rankings. The Broncos, with their victory over Cincinnati, have replaced them. The Power Rankings have always been a laugh to read, but this year the panelists seem more insane than ever. Arizona and Carolina are both 1-2, have not looked good, and are positioned at 5 and 8, respectively.

If you're not drunk, crazy or being ridiculous, you've got Denver ahead of New England in any week 4 power ranking, because Denver's got the (probably, at this point) better defense, Brady's not playing and the two Patriots backups are both coming off injury. Carolina has lost to two 3-0 teams that were in the playoffs last year, and the Cardinals have lost to a 3-0 team and a desperate team that they were facing after going across country from west to East, which historically has been an advantage to the eastern team. That being the case, what's the problem?

Well power rankings are certainly BS but being replaced by Denver kinda makes sense. Im glad the Pats are not playing Denver this weekend, not without Brady thanks.

They might want to clarify what the Power Rankings mean.

Is it who is the best right now?

Is it who is most likely to win the SB?

My take is the Broncos might beat NE right now only because of this QB situation, but a couple of weeks down the line the tables are turned.

They might want to clarify what the Power Rankings mean.

Is it who is the best right now?

Is it who is most likely to win the SB?

My take is the Broncos might beat NE right now only because of this QB situation, but a couple of weeks down the line the tables are turned.

I dont know what it all means LMAO...Im not sure anyone does

I agree with your "who might win" comment though.

Last edited:
My Power rankings based on how strong i think each team will be come playoff time all things being equal by what i have seen the first 3 weeks.

#1 Pats
#2 Pitt
#3 Seattle
#4 Denver

-Gap

#5 Carolina
#6 AZ
#7 GB
#8 Philly
#9 NYG
#10 Dallas
#11 Minn
#12 Baltimore
#13 Cinci
#14 Oak
#15 KC
#16 SD

I will stop there as i am just not interested in the rest as i don't think any of them are good.

The AFC South is SOOO bad but luckily the AFC is top heavy so i don't think any really good team will need to sit home because of it.

The NFC will have a fun playoff race as i see 8-9 teams that look like decent playoff contenders this year and arguably deserve a spot. Someone decent will need so sit home which will make that race fun.
You must have missed the Philly /Steelers butt kicking.

who cares about power rankings?

Colleges

NCAA football is the ONLY sport without a proper championship. They have selected a champion by the AP power rankings, then have an incomplete playoff system populated by a poll. Power rankings show how flawed polls are.

Aside from that, power rankings are just something to interest fans. We all know that right now being in the hunt is what counts - the playoffs determine who's #1.

I think Power Rankings are something you care about as a fan of a team that's usually bad. It can be fun to see the team you follow ranked highly--like, look! Maybe we don't suck now!

When your team wins your conference like half the time, little opinion polls don't seem to matter much.

Why do we have a problem with the super bowl winners retaining the number one spot? I'm not happy about it, but I can't fault anyone for rating the defending champions at the top of the list. We'll just have to knock them off. Victory will be that much sweeter.
My point was that the Pats were ranked number one the week before, had an impressive victory and yet fell. You appear to be saying that Denver should have held the number one ranking all three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back