PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More from PFT " (Holy crap, I think I’m beginning to agree with Don Yee.) "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florio just wrote another pretty good one. Perhaps better than his last one. The media's finally starting to think logically.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...deal-its-too-late-for-the-nfl-to-say-it-isnt/

Interesting lines in there.

Tampering may have occurred on other days. And Tom Brady may be hiding evidence of tampering occurring on multiple occasions by refusing to turn over his text messages and emails. But it’s hard to conclude that tampering happened on January 18, 2015, in large part because the subject matter that became such a big deal the next day had never been one before the moment the needles on those two conflicting gauges were crammed into the 10 footballs.

Florio has essentially thrown in the towel, as far as trying to nail the Patriots for tampering.

Now, all he's got is Brady's refusal to hand over his phone, and the team's refusal to supply McNally for time #5.

I don't think Florio hates the Pats. He's definitely not a Pats fan, but he's under no duty to be one. And the stuff he's written lately is more helpful to our cause than anything I've read anywhere else...

Interesting lines in there.

Florio has essentially thrown in the towel, as far as trying to nail the Patriots for tampering.

Now, all he's got is Brady's refusal to hand over his phone, and the team's refusal to supply McNally for time #5.
But their tampering assumptions also came from some text messages from May . Were they investigating tampering of the AFCCG or for a long period time. I dont understand.

Does anyone think Troy Vincent is smart enough to read this report completely and objectively and critically and decide on the discipline ?

But their tampering assumptions also came from some text messages from May . Were they investigating tampering of the AFCCG or for a long period time. I dont understand.
It's kind of like the Whitewater Investigation. What was supposed to be an inquiry into a land transaction morphed into an unrestricted fishing expedition into the President's sex life.

Does anyone think Troy Vincent is smart enough to read this report completely and objectively and critically and decide on the discipline ?

I think he can but that is not his job, just as it was not Well's job to do a non biased review nor was it Exponenet's job to do a fair scientific report. It will get shredded in court but that take time and games may be missed. I think the Patriots can win on the field with Jimmy as they (Tom) wins in the court.

I think he can but that is not his job, just as it was not Well's job to do a non biased review nor was it Exponenet's job to do a fair scientific report. It will get shredded in court but that take time and games may be missed. I think the Patriots can win on the field with Jimmy as they (Tom) wins in the court.

I wonder with the tide seeming to turn, if that will impact the punishment if any. Hard to come down hard when the big shots are questioning everything. Where is Mort at anyway? Mr. 2 psi or lower.

I wonder with the tide seeming to turn, if that will impact the punishment if any. Hard to come down hard when the big shots are questioning everything. Where is Mort at anyway? Mr. 2 psi or lower.

The longer they wait, the louder the questioning is going to get. With that in mind, don't be surprised to see this come down as early as tomorrow.

I have a hard time even believing the thought that they didn't know exactly where this was all headed months ago. The truth of the matter is that they've had plenty of time and conversations about what they were going to do with Brady.

The only reason they are pretending to determine punishment now is for the small percentage of idiots who are still remaining that actually believe the NFL was kept in the dark about the ins/outs of the investigation process, in their attempt to make it appear as though their case was looked at through an "independent lens."

"We just found out like you did on Wednesday, so we haven't had time yet to consider penalty." Right...Just like Goodell pretending to hand it off to Troy Vincent--please. That's just part of the show.

I don't think Florio hates the Pats. He's definitely not a Pats fan, but he's under no duty to be one. And the stuff he's written lately is more helpful to our cause than anything I've read anywhere else...

I think he does. But I also think that he knows that Pats fans are following this more closely than anyone, and if he posts some positive stories he'll get a lot of clicks out of it. Let's not kid ourselves about his motivations here. He doesn't care about the truth, just wants our clicks.

That said, even with his ****ty motivations, I'll still take it. If he forces people to start thinking logically, that'll be huge for the Pats, at least as far as public perception goes.

I think he does. But I also think that he knows that Pats fans are following this more closely than anyone, and if he posts some positive stories he'll get a lot of clicks out of it. Let's not kid ourselves about his motivations here. He doesn't care about the truth, just wants our clicks.

That said, even with his ****ty motivations, I'll still take it. If he forces people to start thinking logically, that'll be huge for the Pats, at least as far as public perception goes.

Well said. I agree with your thinking.

Unfortunately, just like Cameragate, a handful of logical thinkers just isn't enough to make much of a difference in the findings or public perception. We actually saw more ex-coaches and high profile commentators come forth and state how ridiculous that was, but it never really changed much from what I've seen.

I DO think that Belichick's hard work and consistent winning helped to reduce that chatter, but that took years, and when it finally paid off---here we go again.

The longer they wait, the louder the questioning is going to get. With that in mind, don't be surprised to see this come down as early as tomorrow.

I hope you are wrong. Too much backlash is starting. I think this pushes it back further. Now the reports are there is no negotiation about punishment. I think this report while the lingo may allow punishment, it's soooo bad as a whole that he may have to think long and hard about what BS he wants to deal with.

On one hand I want to think that his background with the NFLPA will make him acutely aware of why it's important to the union that Brady not be punished for failing to hand over documents that Goodell isn't entitled to in the first place.

OTOH, he played for the Dolphins and Bills.

I hope you are wrong. Too much backlash is starting. I think this pushes it back further. Now the reports are there is no negotiation about punishment. I think this report while the lingo may allow punishment, it's soooo bad as a whole that he may have to think long and hard about what BS he wants to deal with.

I'm not saying it will happen tomorrow. I just wouldn't put anything past this group.

I think already there is talk that NFL is looking at public response to determine discipline. No way this goes past tomorrow AM. We will know before noon Iam quite sure.

Well said. I agree with your thinking.

Unfortunately, just like Cameragate, a handful of logical thinkers just isn't enough to make much of a difference in the findings or public perception. We actually saw more ex-coaches and high profile commentators come forth and state how ridiculous that was, but it never really changed much from what I've seen.

I DO think that Belichick's hard work and consistent winning helped to reduce that chatter, but that took years, and when it finally paid off---here we go again.

A
I think already there is talk that NFL is looking at public response to determine discipline. No way this goes past tomorrow AM. We will know before noon Iam quite sure.

Maybe. It would be prudent to wait to get it right. Then again they don't do the prudent thing. I just can't shake the feeling that they won't want a loser case. This is a loser case. Bring it to court, it's a loser. They've gotta be thinking that. Of course they are probably not thinking so...sigh..what a sh*t show.

A

Maybe. It would be prudent to wait to get it right. Then again they don't do the prudent thing. I just can't shake the feeling that they won't want a loser case. This is a loser case. Bring it to court, it's a loser. They've gotta be thinking that. Of course they are probably not thinking so...sigh..what a sh*t show.

If they were smart and really wanted to nail the Pats, they would impose the maximum fine and take away a 1st round pick because the team has no ability to appeal. For me this is the worst case scenario for the Pats because it will forever be seen as guilt and we could never challenge the Wells report.

From my perspective, if there is a punishment, I would rather it be against Brady because he has the ability to appeal and can completely discredit the Wells report.

Maybe the league is trying to play both sides? The last thing they want is more criticism and pressure from the fans, so they are listening to the public outcry. They could pander to the masses and punish Brady harshly, making them look strong in the public eye, while knowing that the evidence in the Wells report isn't nearly strong enough to hold up in an appeal. Its a win-win for them, they look strong and can say they tried to punish the Pats, while deflecting the blame to an arbitrator. While Brady gets off and starts week 1 against the Steelers to record breaking ratings.

If they were smart and really wanted to nail the Pats, they would impose the maximum fine and take away a 1st round pick because the team has no ability to appeal. For me this is the worst case scenario for the Pats because it will forever be seen as guilt and we could never challenge the Wells report.

From my perspective, if there is a punishment, I would rather it be against Brady because he has the ability to appeal and can completely discredit the Wells report.

Maybe the league is trying to play both sides? The last thing they want is more criticism and pressure from the fans, so they are listening to the public outcry. They could pander to the masses and punish Brady harshly, making them look strong in the public eye, while knowing that the evidence in the Wells report isn't nearly strong enough to hold up in an appeal. Its a win-win for them, they look strong and can say they tried to punish the Pats, while deflecting the blame to an arbitrator. While Brady gets off and starts week 1 against the Steelers to record breaking ratings.

Very good points. All of them actually. A first I think is too high it would probably be no higher than 4th. If the Browns and Falcons got 5ths or whatnot then a 1 is waaaay to much. Either or they are screwed. I'd rather see a fine on Brady. This way it can be played off as had to do something. A suspension, even if overturned would be a huge black mark. God forbid Gomer wins the Super Bowl, the talk will be nauseating. "Well he didn't get suspended and won 2 so...GOAT!." I dunno, lose lose is probably right.

I think we saw angry Brady in the Super Bowl in the first half. Then we saw anger channeled to will in the 4th. If they suspend him, I think he will be wanting to do some serious damage. Line Gronk out wide and lob TD passes to him. He'd have 45 TDS lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes