PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Mod-edited title] Edelman unlikely to be able to play full season; no plans to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone think Agholor was signed to replace Edelman in the slot?

Anyone think Agholor was signed to replace Edelman in the slot?

More likely Bourne I would think, but I'll bet they plan to use both players in both spots (to varying ratios). They used Edelman both inside and out depending on the play as well (though he rarely went deep, even playing outside).

I think it's probably unlikely we see him this year on the Pats. If they do, I think the best way to do it is start him on the PUP list, take the maximum allowable time to bring him back, and see where injuries to the WR position are at that time. If he can give you 6-7 games down the stretch while a couple other guys are dinged up, there's value there. His contract will probably need to be adjusted, and he may rather give it a go with another team (which I think BB would accommodate), but if he stays that's how I think he should be used.

Edelman is the consummate Patriot warrior, but a smart man knows when to walk away and not be wheeled out on a stretcher.

Time to move on Jules.. he is still a young man with a ton of energy.

A couple years back I figured that Edelman was gonna be able to play at a high level much longer than usual because he barely played in his first 4 years in the league outside special teams so there wasn’t as much wear as is usually on a 32 year old receiver. Man I was wrong.

Unless a QB they like falls to 15 they should prob draft a young stud WR.

Only so much can be done as about $2.7m is dead cap due to signing proration. $3.7m is the amount of new money that can be played with.
7030C9EF-20E6-47F4-92D2-8B2A1E198D36.jpeg
Pretty much, yes, although the cap savings would be slightly smaller than that ($3.44m for both pre and post-June 1 cut).

I am not sure, however, how his injury affects this. Are they allowed to just straight up cut him or do they have to negotiate an injury settlement?

Great career Jules. He's now in the Troy Brown 2006 phase. He should stay as long as he wants
What? I love Jules but business is business. The Pats can’t just throw away 3+ million dollars in cap saving just because the guy has been a warrior for them.

i see that my plan to draft Zac Thomas from App St, convert him to WR and create Edleman part II is falling into place.....
Hah - I joked a long time ago that the Thomas Tupa -> Thomas Brady -> Zac Thomas compensatory pick chain of Thomases can continue with him. 4.56 is not too shabby, although not sure he's worth a 5th comp.

What? I love Jules but business is business. The Pats can’t just throw away 3+ million dollars in cap saving just because the guy has been a warrior for them.
And that's why players should holdout and refuse to give discounts during their prime. Unless the discounts lead to a lucrative post playing career in the area.

Teams will typically make the right business decision, so should the players.

Hah - I joked a long time ago that the Thomas Tupa -> Thomas Brady -> Zac Thomas compensatory pick chain of Thomases can continue with him. 4.56 is not too shabby, although not sure he's worth a 5th comp.
in a normal year he might slide to a UDFA......this year someone is going to grab him late i think

Jules was playing amazingly well last season when he went under. Personally, I think that the Gunner has the tools to grow into the role, but I'd love Jules to be there even as a part-timer.
Right now, I see two paths for Olszewski's career: Edelman (primarily a WR who also plays STs) and Ebner (career STer).

Looks like Edelman is no longer in the Pats' plans. Bedard said last week that his sources said that the Pats intend for him to either retire or they would help him hook up with another team. This news seems to seal that.

Edelman went from a guy most people didn't think would make it one year in the NFL to what at least some think was a HOF career (definitely Patriot HOF at least). He has nothing to prove in coming back.
I think he’s had an NFL HOF career. Easily. His post season and Super Bowl records should solidify that.

Right now, I see two paths for Olszewski's career: Edelman (primarily a WR who also plays STs) and Ebner (career STer).

At the beginning of his career, Edelman's hands weren't great, but what he excelled at was catching the ball with his body facing upfield and making the yards necessary for a first down. Watching Gunner avoiding tacklers last year or taking them on to finish his run (and noting how much of a step up it was from the year before) makes me optimistic it will be the former (but then I'm a Pats optimist -- ask me about N'Keal Harry!)

If he wants to play but can't, maybe he gets cut and then signs in December with the Pats or Bucs for a last hurrah, whoever has injury openings.

Edelman is the consummate Patriot warrior, but a smart man knows when to walk away and not be wheeled out on a stretcher.

Time to move on Jules.. he is still a young man with a ton of energy.

Everyone said that about Gronk in 2018. And he just won another SB with 2 TDs in the SB.

He's not...He's not worth a 7th-round comp either...UDFA? Yeah why not I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes