PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miami Dolphins sign WR Jabar Gaffney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid move by the Fins. Surprisingly, Tannehill has looked OK. Giving him a savvy veteran who runs good routes and has good hands is not a bad idea for the Fins.

Despite their record, I've been reasonably impressed with the Fins. Philbin has them playing hard, especially on D.

Solid move by the Fins. Surprisingly, Tannehill has looked OK. Giving him a savvy veteran who runs good routes and has good hands is not a bad idea for the Fins.

Despite their record, I've been reasonably impressed with the Fins. Philbin has them playing hard, especially on D.

Yup! and where did Reggie Bush come from all of a sudden?! Must think there's a plant hidden behind goal post.

if hes healthy, Edelman is the clear cut WR #3...I dont get the disdain this guy is getting on this site..other than people thinking he's taking over for welker.

the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" type of league...so far Edelman has 87yards and a TD....gaffney reportedly didnt show much in camp..and branch is well...not showing anything right now..

if hes healthy, Edelman is the clear cut WR #3...I dont get the disdain this guy is getting on this site..other than people thinking he's taking over for welker.

the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" type of league...so far Edelman has 87yards and a TD....gaffney reportedly didnt show much in camp..and branch is well...not showing anything right now..

Are you saying you are impressed with 85 yards? Really?

Its not disdain -- its a realization that he hasn't done much and a counter reaction to the people who believe he's the second best slot receiver in the nfl.

He might turn into a good receiver, but he's not one yet.

3 Games
10 catches
85 yards receiving
8.5 yards per catch

That's the guy who was the WR2 to start the season. The much vaunted "YAC" wasn't doing Edelman a whole lot of good. If you give him the benefit of setting those numbers out for a full season, something he obviously won't have, that would give him 53 receptions and 453 yards.

Last year, Gaffney had 947 yards on 68 catches (13.9 ypc).

I wouldn't use disdain as the word, because I don't think Edelman's held in disdain by most of the questioners. What I would say is that it's pretty clear that the WR decisions of the offseason, and the offseason passing strategy in general, are, and is, well deserving of a whole lot of skeptical appraising.

Last edited:
:mad: Why did we let him go? Edelman is horrible and Branch can't get separation. If Lloyd or Welker go down were worse off than last year.

Last edited:
While conceding that I, as a Fan, will never have as much information on a Player as Mad Bill does, I believe that letting Jabar Gaffney defect to the Fish is his largest mistake of this young season. Depth of Talent is a vital consideration, and Split Ends who speak our Passing Offense fluently are worth their weight in Gold.

And anyone who believes that Tight Ends and Wide Receivers play essentially the same position, just because Tight Ends are often heavily involved in the Passing Offense...are operating at a 4th Grade level.

But what's exciting about this, to me, is that our lack of Depth at Wide Receiver is clearly by design.

Bill The Mad (Genius) has emphatically ripped a chunk out of Wide Receiver in our Depth Charts, and replaced it with Tight Ends. This is precisely what I've been advocating for 3 years, and I am jacked!! :rocker:

The dynamic versatility of Tight Ends ~ whether Tight Ends like Kong, Wing Backs like Aaron The Navigator, or Flex Ends like a Vernon Davis ~ is far beyond that of Wide Receivers, and lend us huge Advantage.

Come on man, that was for another offense.

He'd be lucky to see the field in NE. They didn't even want him when they needed to retool for Hernandez. It's ovah.

That sucks for Jabar. He probably thought he'd be playing for a contender when the Pats brought him in for TC. Now, he has to take whatever offer he was given and that was by the Dolphins. Surprisingly, I like what they're doing. However, it'll be a few seasons still before they're relevant again. Sorry, Jabar.

I hate playing this card, because it annoys me when others do it, but this issue definitely belongs in the "front office knows better than us" department. He's been on the street long enough that whatever we like out of Gaffney the coaches obviously don't. Time to shrug and move on.

I hate playing this card, because it annoys me when others do it, but this issue definitely belongs in the "front office knows better than us" department. He's been on the street long enough that whatever we like out of Gaffney the coaches obviously don't. Time to shrug and move on.

Wrong.

1 ~ Mad Bill knows more than we do.

2 ~ Mad Bill knows better than we do.

3 ~ Yes, 90-99% of the folks who indiscriminately attack Mad Bill's moves are demonstrably brain damaged.

4 ~ Neither #1 nor #2 ~ nor #3 ~ translates into meaning that Mad Bill is not an human being, fully capable ~ like the rest'f us ~ of the most egregious mistakes, as the affairs of Chad Jackson, Kevin OConnell, Derrick Burgess, and others should've made crystal clear to even the most vapid of Patriot Fans.

So...yeah.

We'll go on expressing our opinions.

If it's all right with you. ;)

3 Games
10 catches
85 yards receiving
8.5 yards per catch

That's the guy who was the WR2 to start the season. The much vaunted "YAC" wasn't doing Edelman a whole lot of good. If you give him the benefit of setting those numbers out for a full season, something he obviously won't have, that would give him 53 receptions and 453 yards.

I wouldn't use disdain as the word, because I don't think Edelman's held in disdain by most of the questioners. What I would say is that it's pretty clear that the WR decisions of the offseason, and the offseason passing strategy in general, are, and is, well deserving of a whole lot of skeptical appraising.

That is ludicris. Big offseason moves at WR would be tagging Wes and signing Lloyd. Lloyd upgraded your WR2 instantly and your WR2 from last year was retained and a couple of cheaper options brought in to compete with him for WR3 it so turned out that Edelman won WR3 and these guys were fighting for WR4 with position 5 going to Slater for STs. It so happens that Branch won the spot.

What more could you reasonably expect? there were other positions that needed attention as well.

Just because Edelman is hurt and didnt produce heavy in the 2.5 games he did play doesnt mean the whole assesment of the position was skeptical. Brady is on pace to throw for around 4,900 yards I think the passing game is fine. Also I dont think 85 yards and a TD is that bad for someone who was at best the 4th option before he was hurt (really more like 5th but when he was healthy he was taking some reps from Wes so I went with 4).

Last edited:
Wrong.

3 ~ Yes, 90-99% of the folks who indiscriminately attack Mad Bill's moves are demonstrably brain damaged.

4 ~ Neither #1 nor #2 ~ nor #3 ~ translates into meaning that Mad Bill is not an human being, fully capable ~ like the rest'f us ~ of the most egregious mistakes, as the affairs of Chad Jackson, Kevin OConnell, Derrick Burgess, and others should've made crystal clear to even the most vapid of Patriot Fans.

So...yeah.

Crystal clear to even the most vapid of Patriot Fans?

It is my belief that Belichick recruits Players for a plethora of variables that the media and his critics don't understand and maybe many other GMs just dont put much emphasis on.

Such as: intelligence, attitude, willingness to learn / teachability, locker-room viability / personality, ego and willingness to put the team before self, scrappyness, multiple skill sets, cap considerations (is one 5 star player worth three 4 star players) etc, etc..

So sure, you, me.. we all have the right to criticize Belichick for his failures... but I don't think he's failing for the reasons you think hes failing.

It is my firm belief that Belichick's overall success rate in the recruiting department is as good or better than any other GM / team out there.

We are playing Madden.

He is the head coach of [one of] the most successful, elite football organization in history.

Last edited:
That is ludicris. Big offseason moves at WR would be tagging Wes and signing Lloyd. Lloyd upgraded your WR2 instantly and your WR2 from last year was retained and a couple of cheaper options brought in to compete with him for WR3 it so turned out that Edelman won WR3 and these guys were fighting for WR4 with position 5 going to Slater for STs. It so happens that Branch won the spot.

What more could you reasonably expect? there were other positions that needed attention as well.

Just because Edelman is hurt and didnt produce heavy in the 2.5 games he did play doesnt mean the whole assesment of the position was skeptical. Brady is on pace to throw for around 4,900 yards I think the passing game is fine. Also I dont think 85 yards and a TD is that bad for someone who was at best the 4th option before he was hurt (really more like 5th but when he was healthy he was taking some reps from Wes so I went with 4).

I think the Branch/Gaffney cuts (particularly Gaffney) in combination with making Edelman the WR2, and the significant transition away from the Welker-centric passing game, are things that deserve a very skeptical eye. You, apparently, don't. Saying my position in ludicrous, after what we've seen so far, is more than a little much, IMO, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Have a good one.

That's unfortunate since I figured we would find a spot for him eventually.

At least we have Branch back

Time to start hollering for Stallworth?

Last edited:
But the Patriots had to get rid of him...he was hurt and would've been taking up a roster spot for a month. Plus having Welker, Hernandez, Gronk.

Works out for the Dolphins who have nothing to lose and needed a solid WR for now. Won't get 900 yards like last year, but they could really use him in the red zone, getting points is their problem as seen the past 2 weeks. Doesn't seem like it will hurt the Patriots.

At least he didn't go to the Jets, who also could have used him. :)

Wrong.

So...yeah.

Umm, yeah, ok, whatever. I already prefaced my post by saying I hate playing that card, and I am often extremely critical of this organization. But Gaffney has just been sitting there, and they made no move to bring him back even after Hernandez went down. Claiming superiority to BB in this particular instance is just too much, considering that a decision so obvious to us wasn't made. So 90-99% of the time we're wrong except for this instance where you personally feel you're right. Got it.

I really hope Gaffney doesn't turn out to be our version of Braylon Edwards.

Last edited:
But the Patriots had to get rid of him...he was hurt and would've been taking up a roster spot for a month. Plus having Welker, Hernandez, Gronk.

Works out for the Dolphins who have nothing to lose and needed a solid WR for now. Won't get 900 yards like last year, but they could really use him in the red zone, getting points is their problem as seen the past 2 weeks. Doesn't seem like it will hurt the Patriots.

At least he didn't go to the Jets, who also could have used him. :)
The Dolphins should have beat the Jets. Unlike the Green Scum from New Jersey, the Dolphins aren't a heartless group of individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft