PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty at Safety!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I find impressive is that a second year corner was able to step in at free safety and clearly contribute to the gelling of the secondary. Free safety in the NFL ain't for dummies, and the fact that he was able to have that level of awareness speaks quite highly of McCourty's football acumen.

What was the quote after the 2010 draft from Belichick about McCourty's interview at Rutgers? Something along the lines of the smartest interview since Ray Lewis?

I'm not savvy enough to know, and I only had the radio call; but, Zolak mentioned McCourty was already playing safety through the Bills' first couple scoring possessions. So, maybe he wasn't the lone reason for the turnaround. The other tidbit Zo mentioned after 14-0 was NE was playing the Bills' receivers physically -- 10 guys at the line in bump-and-run coverage. The Bills' receivers were beating them at the physical game, and he emphasized NE had better change their tactics quick.

Yes, he started at safety.

McCourty was at safety from the beginning. Big changes were removing Arrington and Jones and installing Edelman and Moore. 2 int's gotta get a guy more PT.

Last edited:
Maybe a coincidence, but they started looking better when Spikes came in, as well.

I'd be happy-ish with a defensive backfield of Arrington and Moore at CB, edelman to play the slot in nickle, Chung and McCourty at safety, as noted, DMC seems to play better when the game is infront of him and he's able to see the ball at all times.

He's also an above average tackler and he probably has the best ball skills on our defense.

I'd be happy-ish with a defensive backfield of Arrington and Moore at CB, edelman to play the slot in nickle, Chung and McCourty at safety, as noted, DMC seems to play better when the game is infront of him and he's able to see the ball at all times.

He's also an above average tackler and he probably has the best ball skills on our defense.

You want to start Moore at corner after he played it for 1 quarter all season?
Wow, those Ints must have really impressed you.

You want to start Moore at corner after he played it for 1 quarter all season?
Wow, those Ints must have really impressed you.

McCourty and Moulden (at CB) have not impressed me. Moore has been solid whenever he was on the field.

Moulden in the first half was the most atrocious thing I have seen in a long time.

Last edited:
Makes me awful nervous to still be experimenting this late in the season. Mouldin still a WTF? at cb.

Moore makes plays at least.

Hope they find the formula in the next two weeks.
tumblr_li3virZsm51qhv4ldo1_500.jpg

McCourty and Moulden (at CB) have not impressed me. Moore has been solid whenever he was on the field.

Moulden in the first half was the most atrocious thing I have seen in a long time.

Still Moore played a quarter of cornerback for his first action after being cut because he wasn't covering well as a safety.
If it is necessary to move McCourty to safety, I guess a combination of Moulden and Moore is what we have, but to say Moore is a better corner than McCourty is just ridiculous, IMO.

Makes me awful nervous to still be experimenting this late in the season. Mouldin still a WTF? at cb.

Moore makes plays at least.

Hope they find the formula in the next two weeks.
tumblr_li3virZsm51qhv4ldo1_500.jpg

I agree with you about being nervous so late in the season, But what if it works?

This very interesting. With McCourty at safety PATs might actually have
a safety who can get to where he's suppose to be to help the CB.
This could be a stroke of genius. :)

I agree with you about being nervous so late in the season, But what if it works?

Hey, we've got the best coach and two weeks, I'll always be optimistic. I waited 25 years to see Eason throw just the right passes and have Lin Dawson blow out his knee and Steamer miss some he usually never would, while the D missed some easy interceptions. They had the right game plan and a bunch of complete passes would have given them a chance, like Marino had done.

Then we lost cause Troy Brown wasn't on the kick coverage team when Bledsoe played well.

As long as they can execute a defense against each opponent, that's all that matters. Nobody is asking for your resume in the playoffs.

Reminds me of the Wilson move. How did that work out. Also, remember the year Indy was being torched on defense and for whatever reason they jelled....and so on. I'm rooting for the 49er's just the same (as an opponent).

Last edited:
Does make me slightly nervous to be putting McD at FS when he essentially has only played it in a real game once. With that said, with Chung and McD at the back-end of the D, I like that tandem's ability to cover real estate and support the CBs. The secondary has more speed with CB du jour and McD at FS.

McCourty was at safety from the beginning. Big changes were removing Arrington and Jones and installing Edelman and Moore. 2 int's gotta get a guy more PT.

I thought arrington played especially poorly..

Key changes to defensive turnaround:

1. Edelman at nickel corner for Nate Jones.
2. Moore at CB for Arrington.
3. Mark Anderson playing more downs at DE/OLB.

...and Stevie Johnson going to the bench cannot be overlooked.

To your point I thought Edelman brought some intensity to the game.

The defense also seemed to play better and with more energy after Spikes started playing a bigger role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft