PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini admits to illegal videotaping (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen. This should happen, but it probably won't. Goodell doesn't have an axe to grind against the Jets.

The Rule

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

The Admission

"What we do every away game is tape our team from both end zones, whenever it's possible. We always ask for permission to do that. Usually it's granted, provided there is a physical space to do that, it's to get the same angle you get in practice. Anybody that asks us to do it, we extend the same courtesy. It's pretty common, one way or the other, depending on how teams like to like at their game tape. That's really what it was." -- Eric Mangini

The Conclusion

It is against NFL rules to tape from any location that isn't "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead." The Jets have admitted to taping in violation of that rule. The opposing team cannot give its consent to allow the opposing team to break this rule, any more than a fellow motorist at an intersection can give me consent to run a red light.

Next Steps

The League should seize and review all Jets tapes obtained in violation of the rules. The Jets should be penalized their 2nd and 3rd round draft choices next year and fined $250k. Mangini should be fined $500k. The tapes should be reviewed by Goodell to determine if they reveal that the Jets were in fact stealing signals, and released to ESPN as the Pats' tapes were.

Yes, I know there are other threads but I wanted to spell it out. And put a more accurate name on the topic. :D

Amen. This should happen, but it probably won't. Goodell doesn't have an axe to grind against the Jets.

No in fact ...he is a content FORMER EMPLOYEE.......this thing stinks to HIGH HEAVEN....if there is NOT an investigation into this thing....and resulting punishment.....The commish and the league will be seen as fraudulent, having an agenda......and corrupt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we get our money back???

Can we counter-sue New Yawk????

:singing: Too funny.

//

Re: Mangini admits to illegal videotaping

I did not know that teams regularly film from the end zones, apart from any official league cameras. This just further highlights how stupid the whole firestorm and penalty of Spygate was, because a team could simply train those cameras on the opposing coaches for the entire game and accomplish the same result as what we did.

EXACTLY......EXACTLY.......EXACTLY.....

Give us the pick back, and quick!

Re: Mangini admits to illegal videotaping

I am guessing he is talking about the high up game film stuff where they shoot all 22 players on the field to break it down during the week. I'm pretty sure all teams do this. I bet if you look up on Sunday, you will see somebody doing it for the Pats too.

This is known as the "coach's tape" and is provided to all teams. Why would the Jets need their own version of the same tape? What prevents a team from using a zoom lens and taping the opposing team's defensive signals?

I think the NFL needs to clarify what the actual rule or operating procedure is. What has been previously quoted indicates that the Jets are violating the rule. The NFL seemed to make it a black-n-white, no cameras allowed issue. If the NFL issues a statement saying that cameras are allowed in some circumstances, then they have to explain what the actual rules are.

If it turns out the taping from the sidelines is illegal, but taping the exact same thing from the upper level 50 yard line is legal...I think the whole "cheating" angle becomes silly.

If it turns out that it is what you are filming (not the fact that you are filming) that is the problem, then the whole situation becomes problematic. How does the NFL police content? Is it on the honor system (pinky-swear)?

This whole situation stinks and I think the utter stupidity of it all drove Belichick to continue taping despite the memo.

Something Smells Fishy

You know, my seats are not far from that area the Jets were supposedly kicked out of. I am on the sideline about the ten yard line on the Pats side, but I walk through that area a lot. Its behind the end zone near the lighthouse. I have stood there and watched for periods of time, waiting for a buddy to get food, beer, whatever.

First of all, you can't really see squat unless you can find a standing spot near the begining of the seats or the railing if you are off more to the side. It is ALWAYS packed. It would be for any Jets game as well.

ANYONE would notice a guy with a video camera filming. And I can't believe permission would be granted. Besides, those areas are in high high demand and you have to get there early or push your way in to truly get a good vantage point. I doubt they'd allow that to be taken away by a guy with a camera (who is going to block the view of people behind him holding a camera on his shoulder as well).

I call b.s. on the Jets. No friggin' way did they have "permission" to film there unless they are calling "permission" some lowly minimum wage security guard who briefly let them stand there until his superiors spotted him. Which is pure b.s. at best.

I just don't buy anything the Jets were selling today. There is more there there. It should be investigated and the NFL could too, if they wanted to.

Anyone else who goes to the game know that area? No way a guy with a camera could stand there and he'd also be very conspicuous and probably remembered today.

J D Sal

Re: Something Smells Fishy

You know, my seats are not far from that area the Jets were supposedly kicked out of. I am on the sideline about the ten yard line on the Pats side, but I walk through that area a lot. Its behind the end zone near the lighthouse. I have stood there and watched for periods of time, waiting for a buddy to get food, beer, whatever.

First of all, you can't really see squat unless you can find a standing spot near the begining of the seats or the railing if you are off more to the side. It is ALWAYS packed. It would be for any Jets game as well.

ANYONE would notice a guy with a video camera filming. And I can't believe permission would be granted. Besides, those areas are in high high demand and you have to get there early or push your way in to truly get a good vantage point. I doubt they'd allow that to be taken away by a guy with a camera (who is going to block the view of people behind him holding a camera on his shoulder as well).

I call b.s. on the Jets. No friggin' way did they have "permission" to film there unless they are calling "permission" some lowly minimum wage security guard who briefly let them stand there until his superiors spotted him. Which is pure b.s. at best.

I just don't buy anything the Jets* were selling today. There is more there there. It should be investigated and the NFL could too, if they wanted to.

Anyone else who goes to the game know that area? No way a guy with a camera could stand there and he'd also be very conspicuous and probably remembered today.

J D Sal

Nobody does. They're one of the most unpopular and unsuccessful franchises in professional sports :D

...if there is NOT an investigation into this thing....and resulting punishment.....The commish and the league will be seen as fraudulent, having an agenda......and corrupt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could not agree more. If their is no punishment for this blatantly obvious offense of the rules for which Mangini admitted to, then the Pats are entitled to receive all their picks back or their fines returned to them or BOTH!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick