PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's run it down their throats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichiro

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I know the prevailing strategy is to spread out the Giants with an up-tempo passing attack but the more I look at our offense, I think that going to a 3 or 2 tight end formation and running it is the best way to attack the Giants weaknesses.

-The Giants have a small front 7. Their best defensive tackle, Fred Robbins, wants to shoot the gap as much as possible. If you remember week 17, the Pats keyed on him in the running game. Whatever gap Robbins went in, the Pats ran to void created. Tuck, Umenyiora and Strahan are great pass rushers but will not hold up against the run with tackles and tight ends double teaming them.

-Giants LB's are quick but not will not match up against our athletic guards. Pierce and Mitchell are good players but rely on their speed to get around mammoth offensive lineman. Mankins and Neal are good enough athletes to find and neutralize them.

-Our run blocking has improved as the season has gone on. Kyle Brady has always been great, but Heath Evans and Ben Watson have dramatically improved. Remember in week 17, Kyle did not play, severely limiting the formations we could line up in.

-We have the ultimate play action deep threat - Moss will keep those safeties out of the box and allow our two tight end formations to effectively run against 7 men in the box. Watson also has the speed to run by linebackers and get wide open.

Run, Run, Run to victory!

Last edited:
I'd rather they spread em out and jump to a lead to neutralize their running game and make them one dimensional, but I'll take anything that works.

I agree, lets abandon what's worked 18 times this season and change our gameplan for the most important game of the year.

We need to use what our biggest advantage over them is. I like the idea of setting up the play action, but I see no reason to fix what isn't broken.

Fear not.
We shall run it down their throats
... for about the final 20 minutes of play.

They won't expect the run. The Pats were missing key parts of the running attack in the 1st game. I'm all for it.

I agree, lets abandon what's worked 18 times this season and change our gameplan for the most important game of the year.

I thought NE lined up in 2-3 TE sets and jammed the ball down SD's throat in the AFCCG? Maroney did run the ball 25 times for 122 yards, right?

Last edited:
I'm thinking they'll do what they always do....what the defense is giving them, and what's needed at that point in the game.

I'd like to see some of their spread come out against the Giants, especially since I believe NE's passing attack will give them a hard time in that stadium. But, I've been very happy with the run game throughout these playoffs, and NE will have their full compliment of blockers. So, you'll probably see a little of both offenses, with some new wrinkles thrown in.

I'm thinking they'll do what they always do....what the defense is giving them, and what's needed at that point in the game.

I'd like to see some of their spread come out against the Giants, especially since I believe NE's passing attack will give them a hard time in that stadium. But, I've been very happy with the run game throughout these playoffs, and NE will have their full compliment of blockers. So, you'll probably see a little of both offenses, with some new wrinkles thrown in.

I absolutely agree. Pats will change to whatever is necessary.

Part of me wants to see the spread offense so we can build up a quick double digit lead and blitz the crap out of Eli. I just think that since the mid point of the regular season, teams with a better than average pass rush have keyed into the tendencies of our passing attack.

-Bracket Moss with a physical CB and over the top safety

-Double Welker with a CB and LB (punish him when he catches the ball)

-Be able to pressure Brady with exotic (stunts, twists) 4 man rush that does not give the Patriots OL time to recognize where the rush is coming from

These nickel defenses have given the Pats some problems (especially when compared to the beginning of the season) starting fast offensively. I imagine that this has been the Giants focus in practice. If we come out with a power running formation, I believe we will catch them off balance.

yea i agree..if NE were to go up by 10+ then they'll go to the running game more..they wanna get points on the board as fast as they could so a lot of passing will be necessary..imagine a 70 yard pass play TD to MOSS in the first drive haha..that would be freakin amazing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back