PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's hear it for the direct snap play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The direct snap play is the gift that keeps on giving. The Pats presumably are a bit afraid to run it, on the theory that the rest of the league surely should have learned to recognize it by now. So what happens? They FAKE the play the other team is prepared for.

And indeed JAX WAS ready for the direct snap.

Fake fakery. I love it!!

i loved Bradys acting job and my god was that ball hidden well not even the annoucers knew he had it to hear the screaming brady still has it was great

right after i saw brady go up, i was like, theres the direct snap to faulk play...and then faulk went out, and he was just stadning there pushing jags....and the jags werent trying to tackle him.....something was wrong...

utnil brady turns around, and fires one to Wes

This has to rank among one of the most brilliant plays I've ever seen. This was set up by the fact that the Jaguars did their homework and knew that the Patriots sometimes do the direct snap to Faulk. They totally bit on the play. Brady deserves an academy award for his acting job on that one.

When Faulk sidled up all nice and comfy next to Brady, I was thinking "direct snap" the entire way; Jags defense obviously was thinking the same thing.

Beautiful execution.

Brady called it "Double Pop" in his post game interview.
Double "F*%in' Awesome!" is what I called it!

for people who missed the game can someone youtube it ?

for people who missed the game can someone youtube it ?

You can watch on NFL.com in the videos section. Look under Tom Brady Highlights.

When Faulk sidled up all nice and comfy next to Brady, I was thinking "direct snap" the entire way; Jags defense obviously was thinking the same thing.

Beautiful execution.

Yeah, I was thinking the very same thing and said so to my wife who was sitting beside me. When Faulk was stopped I was thinking.. "that's odd".. and then saw Brady turn and fire the ball. Man, he must've stood there with his back to the defense for at least a 2-count. Talk about ice in his veins.

That was a great play.

That was among the best fakes I've ever seen. Brady was able to completely hide the ball from the defenders, then riffles it to Welker in the back of the endzone. It's not often you get to see double fakes succeed in the NFL, and you're especially not going to see many go as smoothly.

Seriously, that play needs to be getting rotation on ESPN and other outlets......wow!

Thanks for the replay. The most ingenious part about this play was not getting the double fake to work, but not getting the refs to call the play dead (from stop of forward progress by Faulk.)

1) Setting up a play the other team has seen before 2) running a secret play that keeps the ball alive that looks like a real play that might have a quick ending 3) Making sure (with a little luck) that the referees are somehow not fooled into thinking the play is over, while the other team is :eek:

Last edited:
Imagine Cousin's reaction when he goes "Direct snap to Faulk - I've got him ... Wait, why the heck is this guy BLOCKING ???"

On top of that, it's a great pass from Tom to Welker. He really can throw it 40 yds into a grocery bag when he has the time!

Oh yeah - and Moss pulls THREE (count'em) from the secondary to the right. (Edited to correct - it's a corner, a safety and a linebacker), but still ... triple coverage leaves Welker with room enough to bring friends!

Last edited:
That's a highlight film for the ages:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes