PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Laurence Maroney vs. Robert Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphys95

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
We brought up this discussion on the latest post-game show. Thought I'd post the statistical comparison of two. Both are first round draft picks - here are their numbers after their first 5 games:

Laurence Maroney: 78 carries, 332 yards, 3 rushing TDs
Robert Edwards: 88 carries, 379 yards, 5 rushing TDs (1 receiving)

Edwards finished his rookie season with 1115 yards rushing, 9 rushing touchdowns, and 3 receiving tds.

It's just a comparison - not drawing any inferences from it. Maroney's situation is slightly different in that he shares the backfield with Dillon, whereas Edwards was asked to carry much of the load (but also was in the tall shadow that Curtis Martin left behind). If you want to listen to the entire show hop over to our website and then click "listen now" - check it out, our listenership spans the globe.

Interesting. It's easy to forget that Edwards was pretty damn good in his one and only season.

As for comparison with Maroney, I think Edwards YPC was under 4, right? Maroney is more explosive. Perfect combo of power and speed.

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
Interesting. It's easy to forget that Edwards was pretty damn good in his one and only season.

As for comparison with Maroney, I think Edwards YPC was under 4, right? Maroney is more explosive. Perfect combo of power and speed.

Yes, Edwards averaged 3.8 yards per carry by the end of '98. I agree, although similar in stature, Maroney appears to be much more explosive.

Interesting. You have to stop and wonder what Edwards might have done with his career if he'd just stayed off that beach at the Pro-Bowl.

My suggestion to Maroney: No sand-oriented sporting events for you, young lad.

Brownfan80 said:
Interesting. You have to stop and wonder what Edwards might have done with his career if he'd just stayed off that beach at the Pro-Bowl.

BB has probably already hired a sniper to follow Maroney and hit him with a tranq dart if he gets near a beach in the offseason.

One more thing about Maroney - the way tacklers drip right off of him in the open field is unbelievable. He seems to be more dependent on the OL creating holes for him than Dillon is (I'm guessing that will change with experience), but any open space, and Maroney is just impossible to bring down.

Last edited:
That's a terrific post Murphys. I have spent a lot of time this season trying not to think about Maroney in the light of Robert Edwards - the way his career ended was a personal tragedy as well as a massive set-back for a team that really didn't need it. I hope Maroney plays his career out under kinder stars.

Bad Karma

Isn't any one else worried about the bad karma in saying the names of those two RBs in the same sentence?

Stop now. Bad thread.

Seriously.

Re: Bad Karma

rookBoston said:
Isn't any one else worried about the bad karma in saying the names of those two RBs in the same sentence?

Stop now. Bad thread.

Seriously.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

--------------

It will be interesting to see how Maroney does when defenses aren't setting out to stop the run first. This will happen when Brady and the WR's get more playing time and consistancy. But as of now it is clear that oppossing defenses main objective is to stop the run which makes Dillon and Maroney's numbers even more impressive.

I was never impressed by Edwards instincts. He didn't really have a feel for the position. Maroney on the other hand, "knows how to run".

It's hard to explain what I mean. It's basically knowing how to read blocks and how to use angles and how to make all the subtle moves than can make a big difference. Running backs either got it or they don't. I never thought Edwards did. Maroney is much better b/c he does.

Robert Edwards come back is amazing. He is still doing well:

Robert Edwards, the Alouettes' bruising running back, a former first-round draft pick of the NFL's New England Patriots, is the CFL's third-leading rusher this season with 1,044 yards.

PYPER said:
I was never impressed by Edwards instincts. He didn't really have a feel for the position. Maroney on the other hand, "knows how to run".

It's hard to explain what I mean. It's basically knowing how to read blocks and how to use angles and how to make all the subtle moves than can make a big difference. Running backs either got it or they don't. I never thought Edwards did. Maroney is much better b/c he does.

My thoughts exactly. Edwards was an inexperienced RB who ran straight ahead most of the time. He also was, based on his medical history, a major knee injury waiting to happen. I wanted the Pats (i.e., Bobby Grier) to draft Vonnie Holliday instead, then take Flozell Adams instead of Tebucky Jones with the other 1st-rounder. If Grier ever wrote a book, the title should be: "How to Nearly Destroy a Franchise in 3 Easy Drafts, 1997-1999."

JR4 said:

Robert Edwards, the Alouettes' bruising running back, a former first-round draft pick of the NFL's New England Patriots, is the CFL's third-leading rusher this season with 1,044 yards.

Good for him. It;s nice to see that.

Brownfan80 said:

Exactly, who knows what Edwards would have turned into. I actually got to see Edwards play on TV this summer for the Montreal Alouettes (I think), he looked pretty good. He's a helluva receiver out of the backfield as well, made some great catches. He was more of a power back as a rookie than Maroney is, and also was a good receiver as a rookie. I think he was a better all around type back as a rookie than Maroney has been so far, but I agree with many here, Maroney is way more explosive than Edwards showed as a rookie. Edwards was a more downhill straight ahead runner. He sure had a great rookie season though.

JR4 said:

I think Robert Edwards would be a nice replacement for Dillon when he retires, though I think he is only 1 or 2 years younger than Dillon, though I could be wrong.

I'm curious, if he can rush for 1000+ yards in the CFL, couldnt he be a serviveable back here in the NFL.

Last edited:
He has already played in the NFL with the Dolphins I believe, who signed him to the practice squad and then as a 3rd RB. The knee injury slowed him down or something, and he was cut or not resigned. There was always the fear he would re-injure his knee.

At the time Roberts was injured, it was considered the end of the players career. He might have been the first to come back from a really devastating knee injury. I recall Bob Kraft gave him a $million.

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
BB has probably already hired a sniper to follow Maroney and hit him with a tranq dart if he gets near a beach in the offseason.

One more thing about Maroney - the way tacklers drip right off of him in the open field is unbelievable. He seems to be more dependent on the OL creating holes for him than Dillon is (I'm guessing that will change with experience), but any open space, and Maroney is just impossible to bring down.
He has been playing on a beach the last couple home games. Glad they're attempting to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft