PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lack of no huddle offense and overall pace of the offense…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
In my opinion the #1 thing lacking on offense right now is a quick pace or no huddle attack, since week 1 against the Bills it has barely been used. I know it is tough to use the hurry up or even a quick pace with so much inexperience combined with moving parts, but in years past this is where we really excelled both throwing and rushing the football, we wore teams down and by the middle of Q3 we had them tanked and we could close them out.

It is my belief that if we get back to moving quickly, hurrying to the line, and Brady is controlling the pace we will create 2-3 big play opportunities a game that we’re not currently seeing, on the flipside doing this with some much inexperience can be risky but I think the reward outweighs the risk.

In my opinion the #1 thing lacking on offense right now is a quick pace or no huddle attack, since week 1 against the Bills it has barely been used. I know it is tough to use the hurry up or even a quick pace with so much inexperience combined with moving parts, but in years past this is where we really excelled both throwing and rushing the football, we wore teams down and by the middle of Q3 we had them tanked and we could close them out.

It is my belief that if we get back to moving quickly, hurrying to the line, and Brady is controlling the pace we will create 2-3 big play opportunities a game that we’re not currently seeing, on the flipside doing this with some much inexperience can be risky but I think the reward outweighs the risk.

It will only last up to three interceptions in the first quarter. Seriously, everyone needs to work in synchronization for that to work and a wrong turn in the short zone might mean a pick six. Patience.

Use the running game.

Maybe with Amendola and Edelman, but in spots. It works because of perfect decisions.

I think Ridley getting healthy and getting 18-25 carries a game would help out even more. Don't think the rooks could handle the hurry up.

Re: Re: Lack of no huddle offense and overall pace of the offense…

I think Ridley getting healthy and getting 18-25 carries a game would help out even more. Don't think the rooks could handle the hurry up.

I agree Ridley needs to be featured more in the offense when he gets healthy, I am not fond of Blount he dances around to much in my opinion and is not nearly as explosive as Ridley.

It will only last up to three interceptions in the first quarter. Seriously, everyone needs to work in synchronization for that to work and a wrong turn in the short zone might mean a pick six. Patience.

Use the running game.

Maybe with Amendola and Edelman, but in spots. It works because of perfect decisions.

Yep.

We need to rookies to get better and smarter and also need TEs to make it happen.

I suspect we will be back to it though by the end of the season. Hopefully.

Don't think the rooks could handle the hurry up.

You could be onto something there.

Only 5% of all offensive snaps this year have been run in the hurry up, for what it's worth. None last week vs CIN.

I think we'll see it more as the year progresses towards the post-Thanksgiving stretch once everyone is back, healthy, and on the same page.

Another aspect to consider is that this offense has about ZERO consistency at this point in time. Running the hurry up will get us killed if they can't convert possessions into points on a consistent basis. Things are much different than in the past couple of years.

I wouldn't think that Belichick is in much of a hurry to put the defense back onto the field when our offense quickly stalls out and takes :30 seconds off the clock in many instances. That's obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the picture.

Another aspect to consider is that this offense has about ZERO consistency at this point in time. Running the hurry up will get us killed if they can't convert possessions into points on a consistent basis. Things are much different than in the past couple of years.

I wouldn't think that Belichick is in much of a hurry to put the defense back onto the field when our offense quickly stalls out and takes :30 seconds off the clock in many instances. That's obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the picture.

That makes a lot of sense, otoh you can use the clock somewhat even in hurry up offense... hurry up can be fast and less fast, if you do not want the D to be able to make changes.

The skill level and giving the other team another opportunity are the major issues here..

I think Chris Collinsworth said it best during the Atl game. He said if teams are gonna beat the patriots it's now. Meaning there at there most vulnerable now with no Gronk or Amendola or even Vereen, and I truly believe that. Wait until 87 and 80 get up to speed and we get Vereen back. This offense this team will be so much more dangerous especially with a top 10 defense. Let teams get their punches in now, cause it won't happen so easy later in the year.

It hasn't been used because of lack of trust/execution. In due time I think it'll come back, but if we were to run a no huddle now and go three and out....we'd be leaving our defense out to dry.

It hasn't been used because of lack of trust/execution. In due time I think it'll come back, but if we were to run a no huddle now and go three and out....we'd be leaving our defense out to dry.

You and the OP omit two main reasons it's not been used: inexperience of current WRs and lack of TEs who can catch the ball.

Yeah, we would all like no huddle but it's like wanting to take the Ferrari @ 100 mph in the city traffic when the brakes aren't doing well.

We are just not ready for it...yet.

btw, I believe this pace/no-huddle was covered by either Reiss or some BH columnist.

You and the OP omit two main reasons it's not been used: inexperience of current WRs and lack of TEs who can catch the ball.

Yeah, we would all like no huddle but it's like wanting to take the Ferrari @ 100 mph in the city traffic when the brakes aren't doing well.

We are just not ready for it...yet.

btw, I believe this pace/no-huddle was covered by either Reiss or some BH columnist.

That's what I meant when I said lack of trust. ....

Without even having the All-22 view, I counted three option routes blown by Dobson in the game. Two would have went for huge gains (one possibly a touchdown) and one would have been a first down. There's simply too much inexperience and lack of knowledge in the offense with the WR's to run the no huddle.

This is a great point SF, given how limited are depth is along the defensive line it makes even more sense.

No Huddle

I watched the coaches' film of the Bengals game yesterday; several plays on offense I watched three or four times. There is a lot on offense to criticize, but I don't really want to go into particulars. The game's over.

One general observation I have is that I thought the offense looked lethargic. They were slow to the line on many plays. The OL was slow off the ball, the backs were hesitant (especially Bolden) and everyone looked uncomfortable and slow on too many plays. Of course, some of that is the weather and a lot is the Bengals D.

The no huddle is a good way to break lethargy. It forces a faster pace and fewer called plays (12-15). It is tough to audible against. It is tough to set against. It's tiring. It's simpler to operate in some ways. We haven't seen much of it this year and I think it's time to bring it back. It is not a foolproof answer to the offense's woes but it would sure help the OL to get a jump on the snap.

On the other hand, it is faster and maybe with a less experienced group McDaniel is hesitant to run it. And maybe Gronk's return breaks the lethargy.

What do you think?

Re: No Huddle

I watched the coaches' film of the Bengals game yesterday; several plays on offense I watched three or four times. There is a lot on offense to criticize, but I don't really want to go into particulars. The game's over.

One general observation I have is that I thought the offense looked lethargic. They were slow to the line on many plays. The OL was slow off the ball, the backs were hesitant (especially Bolden) and everyone looked uncomfortable and slow on too many plays. Of course, some of that is the weather and a lot is the Bengals D.

The no huddle is a good way to break lethargy. It forces a faster pace and fewer called plays (12-15). It is tough to audible against. It is tough to set against. It's tiring. It's simpler to operate in some ways. We haven't seen much of it this year and I think it's time to bring it back. It is not a foolproof answer to the offense's woes but it would sure help the OL to get a jump on the snap.

On the other hand, it is faster and maybe with a less experienced group McDaniel is hesitant to run it. And maybe Gronk's return breaks the lethargy.

What do you think?

With our inept 3rd down Offense we'll be off the Field in less than 30 seconds...that wouldn't be good for our defense. The point of the no huddle is taking advantage the other Teams Defense. But if we are dropping balls all over the place the point is moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe