PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon Stepping Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happiest man right now is Hogans agent.
I hope he doesnt get paid here unless he steps up big and earns it.
Hogan’s agent is Amendola’s agent, and he just saw that any perceived desperation isn’t going to make the Patriots offer more money.

Your initial response to me on the subject:

If not worrying about our worst run defense since 1973 because "it's a passing league" isn't be completely delusional, then I don't know what is.

I wouldn't either. No offense, but you don't have the working knowledge of the game needed in order to have that conversation.

Someone that quits on the season doesn't watch the games. I haven't quit. I've just resigned myself to the fact that the team doesn't have enough talent on it and have too many gaping holes to be a legitimate Super Bowl contender. I will still watch the games, enjoy them for what they are worth, and hope to God I'm wrong. That's not quitting. That's just accepting the obvious.

I'm literally dominating anyone that has stepped up to the plate on this topic. Of course I can deal. You just decided to go personal in that post so I returned the favor. If you'd like to stick to the subject and have an actual debate, I'll respond in kind. If you want to go for some lame personal potshot, I'll level you in kind. I give back what I get.
I didn't go personal first. I pointed out that you quit on the team. I'm sorry if I misrepresented you. You did not quit you "resigned yourself".

Then you got real nasty. If that's you dominating then I hope your proud of yourself.

Not based on how you and Kontra are acting.
Sometimes teams come from 9-7 to win a SB Giants. Sometimes they have losing road records packers. TB and this team are still capable of this. This team will be defined by how they respond to this losing streak and it has 3 home games coming up to fix things. We still can fix it and this year will be defined by this not some empty comparison to 09.

I think you are correct, the definition will be how they react to Gordon's departure. A mentally tough team would rally and put a beat down on the Bills, Jetes and whomever is next in the playoffs, either as a 2 or 3 seed. A mentally weak team, one that can't win on the road, will fold up shop like the 2009 team after Welker's injury.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that they are a mentally weak team, despite the 3-5 road record. But the flaws we've seen this year, getting beat in Miami on a situational gaff, and Brady's awful interception in Pittsburgh lead me to believe that they might be. I guess we will see. 11-5, a two or three seed and a home playoff win will show they are still tough mentally. 9-7 and missing the playoffs or limping in at 10-6 as a four seed will show otherwise.

I've been saying for two-three weeks, lots of football left.

Wait, are people really arguing that this team can still make a SB run?

If the Eagles can take care of the Texans at home this week and the Pats get by the Bills and Jets, then the Pats would be the #2 seed.

Edit: I see that someone else had the same thought as I did.

I might add that even if the Pats fall to #3 they would still be facing teams that they've already beaten for the most part.

Last edited:
I usually have more than zero expectations for things I have not quit on.

I guess you could choose to see it that way, my perspective is that as long as you hope for something you haven't quit on it, regardless of whether or not you expect it.

Which is pretty much where I am - I have no expectation for the rest of the season because I just don't think this team is very good. I hope I'm wrong though, and I'll be rooting for me to be wrong every week, so if you want to characterize that as having quit on the team then so be it but it's not accurate.

When it comes to evaluating the quality of a football team or player, there really isn't much "objective truth" to be had, especially not when the evaluation is only binary.

You say this is a bad team, or "not a good team", at least. That's a subjective opinion, and begs the question, "Compared to what?"

I would start by comparing them to Pats teams of the past that have won the Super Bowl. Then move down and start comparing them to Pats teams of the past that were Super Bowl entrants. Then work your way down from there to teams that lost in the AFCCG, went one and done, etc. That's where you'll know where to rank this version.

I’m sad things didn’t work out with the Pats because of his drug addiction problems. He showed glimpse of greatness and if he was on path he might have had a great season next year.

He was never going to be here next year.

I think it could have been a distinct possibility if he'd kept his head on straight. A long term deal and/or a lot of guaranteed money was almost certainly off the table, but I could've seen him getting a 1-2 year type of deal that was either low in AAV or low enough in guarantees to protect the team from the likelihood of relapse. Moot point now though, he's probably played his last NFL snap.

I didn't go personal first. I pointed out that you quit on the team. I'm sorry if I misrepresented you. You did not quit you "resigned yourself".

You absolutely went personal. "Go back to quitting on the team" was a catty, personal potshot. Here's another hint - when you go away from dedicating your post to my argument and instead dedicate one toward me, personally, that's making it personal. So I delivered one back and now you're crying about it. Don't like that? Don't make it personal. Stick to the subject at hand and you won't have to worry about that stuff.

Now official: Effective today, Josh Gordon has been returned to the Reserve/Commissioner Suspended list indefinitely for violating the terms of his conditional reinstatement under the Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

Some were willing to give him a big money extension, which was totally asinine, but there was no reason why he couldn’t have played on the RFA next season at 4.4m dollars.

There was no way in hell that they were going to offer him a big payday, though. That was never going to happen. At least not until early/spring of 2020.

This isn't a lottery situation. It's not one-in-a-million and it's not based on luck.

They should win their last two games at home (where they are unbeaten) against inferior opponents.

Houston has an excellent chance to lose in Philly, which would result in a 2 seed for the Pats.

They will be favored against whoever comes to Foxboro in the divisional round. Doesn't guaranteed a win, but they will be favored.

Then you're talking one game to go to the Super Bowl. If you can't see any possible way, in a single game, that they could find a way to win with this coach and QB, then I simply disagree.

These are not outrageous ideas. Just because I wouldn't bet the farm on it, doesn't make it a miracle.

I was being flip. The odds aren't lottery bad but I think it stands to reason they could be charitably described as not at all favorable. Also, of course their chances are somewhat based on luck, and probably moreso than in previous years.

My point isn't that it's impossible, merely very unlikely. I think most will admit that this team compares poorly to previous Patriot Super Bowl contenders. I also think most will admit that this team has key weaknesses that cannot be fixed or schemed away.

So, yeah, in light of those things, seems appropriate to have a bearish outlook.

I think it could have been a distinct possibility if he'd kept his head on straight. .

Was never going to happen. All you had to do was watch him.

If the Eagles can take care of the Texans at home this week and the Pats get by the Bills and Jets, then the Pats would be the #2 seed.

Edit: I see that someone else had the same thought as I did.

I might add that even if the Pats fall to #3 they would still be facing teams that they've already beaten for the most part.

And what do you think will happen to this team with the #2 seed?

What is it, coke, weed, booze or a combo Belushi style?:confused:

Was never going to happen. All you had to do was watch him.

I didn't think so either. I just think he was a stopgap in order to try to spur the offense after the early season struggles. I think they were going to go into the offseason with a replacement plan there. Regardless, it sucks losing him and will most certainly hurt.

And what do you think will happen to this team with the #2 seed?

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer that:

AFCCG, with the potential to get to the SB

So what will the punishment be for the Patriots loosely related repeat offenses?

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer that:

AFCCG, with the potential to get to the SB
Think we’ll win a home game, but could we even score 20 in KC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back