PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets RB - Leon Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphys95

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Rookie Leon Washington is having a bang up year. After little to no playing time in weeks one and two (had one carry against the Pats in week 2) he is amassing some very decent totals:

86 carries - 397 yards - 2 touchdowns

Washington rushed for over 101 versus Jacksonville & 129 versus Detroit.

Keep in mind the Jaguars blew out the Jets 41-0 and Detroit has the 20th ranked rushing defense.

New England currently has the 3rd ranked rushing defense (giving up 75 ypg), but it should be interesting to see how they handle Washington.

He averaged 3.4 against Cleveland. He's OK, he's a bit quicker to the hole than Barlow (who's supposed to split carries this week) but Washington isn't a guy who you worry about how to handle.

BelichickFan said:
He averaged 3.4 against Cleveland. He's OK, he's a bit quicker to the hole than Barlow (who's supposed to split carries this week) but Washington isn't a guy who you worry about how to handle.

hes a lot quicker to hit the hole and in open field than Barlow. Washington is a small back with really good speed and agility..hes also pretty strong so looking at his build wont tell you the story. imo hes like a tiki barber..does it all..fast and strong.

i think we do have to worry about him because if we focus on their pass..he will find a way. i know hes not a top back but i wouldnt overlook him and say..forget it he wont do anything.

Remix 6 said:
i think we do have to worry about him because if we focus on their pass..he will find a way. i know hes not a top back but i wouldnt overlook him and say..forget it he wont do anything.

You raise a good point. Cotchery & Coles were the main reason the Jets stayed in the game against the Pats in week two (that and a miraculous catch). They both netted over 100 yards receiving in that game. Obviously they will be a focus - but with Rodney out, those might be the matchups to watch.

Remix 6 said:
Neither their run or pass game is good enough for us to worry about or focus on. They're both somewhere between below average to above average. But neither piece of their offense is worrisome. They convert well on 3rd down due to Pennington's accuracy but Pees can basically do what he likes without worrying about Pennington or Washington.

Murphys95 said:
You raise a good point. Cotchery & Coles were the main reason the Jets stayed in the game against the Pats in week two (that and a miraculous catch). They both netted over 100 yards receiving in that game. Obviously they will be a focus - but with Rodney out, those might be the matchups to watch.
Nah, you worry too much. Cotchery and Coles combined for about 120 yards on two plays that the Patriots just blew. Regarding Harrison, although I want him back our coverage now is intriguing because whether Scott, Hawkins or Wilson are the two Safeties, we'll have 4 CB on the field at all times. Lots of speed. Hawkins may be slow for a CB but he's fast for a Safety.

The biggest issue in this game will be what to eat in the 4th quarter.

BelichickFan said:
Nah, you worry too much. Cotchery and Coles combined for about 120 yards on two plays that the Patriots just blew. Regarding Harrison, although I want him back our coverage now is intriguing because whether Scott, Hawkins or Wilson are the two Safeties, we'll have 4 CB on the field at all times. Lots of speed. Hawkins may be slow for a CB but he's fast for a Safety.

The biggest issue in this game will be what to eat in the 4th quarter.

I'm not taking an angle on anything (never worry about any game), just pointing out players to watch this Sunday. Coles and Cothery account for 60% of New York's passing game. They are an obvious focus. They are not Wayne and Harrison, but formidable nonetheless.

Bottom line, the Jets have been a notoriously scrappy team; wouldn't be surprised to see another tight game.

Murphys95 said:
I'm not taking an angle on anything (never worry about any game), just pointing out players to watch this Sunday. Coles and Cothery account for 60% of New York's passing game. They are an obvious focus. They are not Wayne and Harrison, but formidable nonetheless.
Well I don't think they're formidable. Coles is pretty good. Cotchery has a season high of 79 yards other than the game against us with that freak play. He's averaged 49 yards/game if you take out the one against us - I know you can't just take games out but we all know that was a total freak play, Chad Scott nailed him and he got about 70 of his 121 yards on the day.

Coles is above average. And he's the only above average WR/RB/TE they have IMO.

Having moved to NY, I've been able to see Washington play quite often. I think he slipped to the 4th round due to injury. He's been very impressive, running behind an inconsistent line. The game against Detroit, he showed his total arsenal, good speed, good moves, and suprising power for his size. On the Jets offensive line, Nick Mangold has been more impressive than D'Brickashaw Ferguson so far, but both look like they can be mainstays for years to come. I think the Jets should focus on the defense and QB in the 2007 draft, I think Washington can and will be their feature back for the next few years. Mangini is doing a good job, considering the Jets really don't have many big play stars on the team. They remind me of the Pats in 2000 (Belichick's first year), a couple of drafts away from being contenders (for the AFC East and further). Unfortunately for them, our Pats continue to grow, accumulate draft picks and prospects, and will probably have Brady & Belichick around for another 4 or 5 years. The Pats must stop the Jets running game early, and force pennington to win the game, and that's exactly how I see it happening. The Pats have been pretty darned good against the run, so they should be able to stop Washington.

Having moved to NY, I've been able to see Washington play quite often. I think he slipped to the 4th round due to injury. He's been very impressive, running behind an inconsistent line. The game against Detroit, he showed his total arsenal, good speed, good moves, and suprising power for his size. On the Jets offensive line, Nick Mangold has been more impressive than D'Brickashaw Ferguson so far, but both look like they can be mainstays for years to come. I think the Jets should focus on the defense and QB in the 2007 draft, I think Washington can and will be their feature back for the next few years. Mangini is doing a good job, considering the Jets really don't have many big play stars on the team. They remind me of the Pats in 2000 (Belichick's first year), a couple of drafts away from being contenders (for the AFC East and further). Unfortunately for them, our Pats continue to grow, accumulate draft picks and prospects, and will probably have Brady & Belichick around for another 4 or 5 years. The Pats must stop the Jets running game early, and force pennington to win the game, and that's exactly how I see it happening. The Pats have been pretty darned good against the run, so they should be able to stop Washington.

leon fell in draft because of a poor senior year. he had family issues and missed workouts and stuff..he said he wasnt in the shape he was in and wasnt as concentrated as he was junior year. he was a top back 2 years ago in college football

Leon ain't that good.
Against J-Ville Henderson was out and i think Stroud was aswell.
Detriot also had their NT out, so against a Heathly D-line like ours he has a average around 3.5yds a carry and much less than 50yds a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft