PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Taylor update/thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miami GM Jeff Ireland doesn't sound that enthused about adding Taylor to their roster:

But it was evident in the way Ireland emphasized Taylor's age the Dolphins wouldn't be in hot pursuit -- unlike the New England Patriots, whose owner twice has declared Taylor has a locker stall in Foxborough if he wants it.

"You have to look at every possible situation at this time of the year," Ireland said. "Our level of interest, I'm not going to tell you where it's at right now, but I would say that you have to look at all these things.

"But with players in particular like Jason -- he's going to be 35 in September -- you have to look at whether veteran players are progress-stoppers for younger players."

Granted, he could be spinning a different story behind the scenes, but it sounds like the Taylor-to-Miami rumors have no basis.

I don't know which way this will go for the Patriots, but I become a little less optimistic with each passing day. I really feel that if it comes down to the Pats or Dolphins, Taylor will pick the Dolphins, if for no other reason than the fact that his family still lives in Miami.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Point After Blog Archive Adalius Thomas rants on rules and proposed expanded schedule

Moving on, Thomas had this to say about rumors of having either Julius Peppers or Jason Taylor playing opposite him: ”I think that you have to look at it from a team standpoint first, then you have to look at how it affects you. And, would one of those players make the defense better? I think you’d be in denial to say they wouldn’t. Both bring certain values to the table. How it affects me personally, I don’t know. It depends on what they have them doing. Are they going to be playing on the outside? Are they going to rushing? You’ve got to ask Bill (Belichick). You always hear rumors. You get to a point now, it’s an every day thing. You get to a point now, you just sit and wait. Because you waste so much energy on a rumor that doesn’t come to fruition. And, for what? If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, I don’t prefer it one way or the other . . . whatever decision they make is going to be what’s best for the team. I trust they’ll make the right decision.”

What would it be like having Taylor and Brady on the same team?

”The pretty boys. The two models. We’ve got one model on the team. Now we’re going to have two,” he said with a laugh. ”I don’t know if Brady’s going to go for that.”

I get the semantics there, nothing really said, but if I were say... Mike Florioioio, I'd be all over that one! Especially since we know Brady would absolutely go for it.

Well according to our favorite Phins homer and recent whipping boy Armando Salguero, the Pats remain the favorite to land Taylor.

"Not long after Jason Taylor became a free agent, nearly a dozen teams started calling to express interest in the possible future Hall of Famer.

The Bills called. The Packers called. The New York Jets called. Tampa Bay is interested as is New Orleans. The New England Patriots have shown interest through owner Robert Kraft, who has been quoted as saying if Taylor wants to play for the Pats, he (Kraft) can see that happening.

The Dolphins have not called or talked to the Taylor camp but remain are a darkhorse possibility because they would be interested under the right circumstances and they have home field advantage because Taylor lives in South Florida.

I draw two interesting points from this: Every single team in the AFC East has shown interest before the Dolphins have. Despite all this, the leading candidate to get Taylor remains the New England Patriots.

Nothing is likely to be done anytime soon. The timetable for getting this thing ironed out is around draft time, if not immediately afterward. Stay tuned."

Dolphins In Depth

IMO, Taylor's winding up in New England all depends on whether he wants money or he wants to be on team that is favored to win. I don't assume that I know what his priorities are. I don't imagine that the Patriots will be the highest bidder, although I could be wrong about that. I also don't care whether or not he wants to go back to Miami. I've heard nothing to the affect that they've invited him back. I think the only time he signs back with Miami when they sign him for one day, so he can retire a Dolphin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back