PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White's role in this offense.

Betterthanmost

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I understand White is dealing with a lot this year and possibly beyond. What do you make of his reduced touches/catches lately? In 5 games counting from niners, he has touched the ball 13 times combined rushing and receiving. What are some likely explanation in his reduced role? Cam's capabilities? Crowded RBs with similar skill sets? Defenders paying him extra attention? Playing calling focusing elsewhere?

White is definitely one of my favs : effort, heart, production in huge spots.

However, it’s obvious he’s not being used this year. And I can’t remember more than a few plays that “worked” when he was involved. I don’t think it’s a stretch, nor a sass to suggest that this has been his worst season since his rookie year (he was Harris-like unused his first season).

I don’t count on White having a big role this year and I don’t know what that means for future seasons.

White was so good with Brady and really excelled in no huddle or hurry up situations and I am not sure if the Pats have done that all year outside of a couple end of game situations. He was also the clear safety valve on 3rd and shorts and the team is much more likely to run in those situations this year. Am hopeful they figure out how to use him more effectively but not sure they will.

I think he's definitely getting more attention but I don't know if that explains if all.

I heard Zo saying that Cam is awful at throwing the screens and short passes to the RBs. If you watch our offense there are hardly any of those plays anymore either to White or Burkhead. It is just not part of Cam's game the way it was prominent with Brady. Ironically, Tampa does not really run those plays either because they don't have a decent pass catching RB.

It the Qb

Imagine a QB that can't throw ten yards to guy wide open in the flat.

This may be an unpopular opinion but White isn't, and has never been, a very good running back. He's not particularly athletic, he's not particularly fast nor quick, he's not particularly strong nor explosive. He's athletically below-average and doesn't offer much dynamism or play-making.

What White is: intelligent, hard-working, a good pass blocker, clean footwork, good attention to detail, good hands. He thrived with Brady given his skill-set, but Harris and Burkhead have clearly been the better RBs in this offense, this season, with Cam at QB. (Heck, even Michel has shown more when he's been on the field this season).

Hopefully Michel can stay healthy and Harris can get over his dings, because White has no business taking carries as far as I'm concerned. Can he be used situationally in spots? Yeah, I guess. But his role should be limited - we simply have better play-makers at RB other than him and his skill-set is less relevant now with the departure of Brady.

If I had to pick between the two, I would take Burkhead everyday of the week over White. Why? Because he can run between the tackles AND is a receiving threat. Probably a slight downgrade on his pass-catching and blitz pick-up vs White...Clearly we won't have Burkhead for rest of season but oh well.

Its been pretty much confirmed that the Pats worry about this as well, when White is in the game it signals an obvious passing play - which is why they try these draw plays and delayed hand-offs with him all the time. He hesitates too much hitting the hole - not a hard runner.

So many people have praised James White. Harris said he wants to be him when he grows up. We have to keep White a Patriot for life.

I understand White is dealing with a lot this year and possibly beyond. What do you make of his reduced touches/catches lately? In 5 games counting from niners, he has touched the ball 13 times combined rushing and receiving. What are some likely explanation in his reduced role? Cam's capabilities? Crowded RBs with similar skill sets? Defenders paying him extra attention? Playing calling focusing elsewhere?
Defense and Cam

This may be an unpopular opinion but White isn't, and has never been, a very good running back. He's not particularly athletic, he's not particularly fast nor quick, he's not particularly strong nor explosive. He's athletically below-average and doesn't offer much dynamism or play-making.

What White is: intelligent, hard-working, a good pass blocker, clean footwork, good attention to detail, good hands. He thrived with Brady given his skill-set, but Harris and Burkhead have clearly been the better RBs in this offense, this season, with Cam at QB. (Heck, even Michel has shown more when he's been on the field this season).

Hopefully Michel can stay healthy and Harris can get over his dings, because White has no business taking carries as far as I'm concerned. Can he be used situationally in spots? Yeah, I guess. But his role should be limited - we simply have better play-makers at RB other than him and his skill-set is less relevant now with the departure of Brady.
Definitely an unpopular opinion.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back