PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James Harrison officially signs with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys need to see a thread in the steelers forum over at thesteelersfans.com

I can't link it because I got banned last week after calmly explaining the JJ catch and why it was overturned lol, but there is a thread named "James Harrison NEVER Welcome Back" and it is the greatest melt session i've ever seen from a fan base. Someone please link it in here for everyone's enjoyment lol

That Steeler Board makes the Patsfans’ GDT look like a rational discourse in theoretical physics.

This is the same legendary website that banned me last January for being a Pats fan even though I was being perfectly nice to everyone. Worst fansite for the worst fanbase.

I have one simple question since I haven't watched a lot of Harrison's games. Can he set the edge? Time after time this has been an issue this season.

Edit - here ya go, changed internet browsers lol

James Harrison NEVER Welcome Back

What's weird is how much credence they give to clowns like Pouncey and Dupree. They are so desperate for validation for their wittle feewings that they'll take anything that reinforces their outrage as gospel.

What a circus...I guess it's true that the fanbase starts to take on the demeanor of the team. People here do the whole "one game at a time" bit when discussing the team on a forum (lol), and people love drama in Pittsburgh.

I love Bill and his war with the media

It doesn't appear that BB is 'duplicitous pond scum' as we were told by our own media before he coached a game for us.

He also wasn't suffering from a nervous breakdown or a meltdown as we were told by the media when he bolted NJ (who the heck wouldn't?).

'I wanna say this very clearly.' I love our coach.

Edit - here ya go, changed internet browsers lol

James Harrison NEVER Welcome Back

This is one of their fan's opinion...

Welcome him back in what capacity? As a player? No, he's old and is no good to us anymore.
Would I give him a standing ovation if he was brought out before a game as a former player? Yes, I would. He is a huge reason we had the success we did and nothing he does now can take that away.

He clearly wanted to keep playing and that wasn't going to happen in Pittsburgh. He also obviously wanted a chance to play for another SB. Perhaps the Pats were the only team that came calling or perhaps they were his first preference. Either way, the team showed no loyalty when they cut him and he showed no loyalty when he signed with the Pats. As I say all the time, there's no loyalty in sports. Those days are long gone.

JH did what was best for him. Was he supposed to do what is best for a team that cut him?

Funny how this story (and this thread!) has evolved over the past few days...

Here are my final thoughts on the JH saga, starting with the actual *football* stuff:
  • I personally think JH still has some pop left in his pass rush.
  • As many have noted here, his (lack of) height can help against taller OTs. People here are talking about Villanueva but he's really been kryptonite to Eric Fisher, so this may be relevant as early as the Divisional round.
  • I also think JH can still set the edge. Lost a couple steps but still strong & smart.
  • Even in his best years, JH was never anything more than a marginal defender in pass coverage. You might get away in dropping him into a zone - he'll at least be in the right place. Just don't let him get iso'd on a Kareem Hunt (or C. West for that matter), as that would be a big problem. He can't run with anyone down the field.
  • Adrian Peterson this year is sort of the offensive equivalent to JH- when he's in everyone in the building pretty much knows what he's going to be doing. But there's still value there under specific conditions.
Bottom line - I would look at this in the same way you'd look at signing a Dwight Freeny or Chris Long late in their careers - they can still have a positive impact on the football field, but you have to be careful how (and how long) to deploy them.

Now to the soap opera stuff.
  • If you haven't been paying attention the past 24 hours, essentially the entire Steelers locker room has come out to defend the FO decision to release JH. In the process, they've told a bunch of crazy stories that paint JH as a passive-aggressive malcontent who left stadiums or stayed in the locker room whenever inactive and snored his way through meetings, culminating in an effort to basically orchestrate his own release. Even the media is piling on. If you believe even half of it, it basically unravels the notion that Harrison served as any kind of mentor or leader.
  • All of which begs the question - why keep him around this long to begin with?! (Pitt had no problem cutting Blount pretty much immediately, after he walked off the field early in a tantrum over not getting carries...) And this begs another question - if you put up with all of this for 16 *weeks*, what level of action was required on JH's part to be the proverbial 'straw that broke the camel's back?
My take - I think there was a legitimate idea in the preseason that JH would be kept as a 'closer', and as insurance against Pitt's young OLBs crapping the bed. But the opposite occurred, and behind the scenes JH was stewing...and eventually boiling over. Pitt's front office and coaching staff put up with it out of some sort of (IMO) misguided deference to what he's meant to the team over the years...for far too long, if even half the stories coming out now are to be believed.

But here's the potential upside for the Pats: If Harrison was basically a malcontent from early on in the season, maybe his lack of PT wasn't solely due to performance.

Maybe it's more complicated than a simple diminishment of skills + his inability to play ST...maybe his nearly total lack of PT is partly due to the team not wanting to reward bad behavior.

In which case, maybe there's more gas in the tank for JH than it might seem....And if that's the case, good on the Pats for exploiting a bad situation (and a poor *handling* of a situation) in Pittsburgh.

I expect big things out of Harrison this week, 1.5 sacks and 3 tackles for loss. And no, I'm not kidding.

I expect big things out of Harrison this week, 1.5 sacks and 3 tackles for loss. And no, I'm not kidding.
Beachum has had a pretty good year for them at LT. Hes a little on the shorter side and kinda quick so might not be the best matchup for JH. We'll see

Reading through social media reactions to this is great. The Steelers and their overweight fans are absolute salt factories.

21sdi6.jpg

I don't know man, that doesn't look so bad!

Oh my god! I can't believe the BS coming out of Aditi Kinkhabwala's mouth.

1st she blames(or is going off what she's told?) James Harrison playing time for stunting Jarvis Jones growth so she said the squealers gave Dupree and Watt all the 1st team snaps. That's right, James Harrison is the reason Jarvis Jones never developed...o_O

Then she says Harrison wanted out so he could "double dip" and get more money, insinuating him wanting to be released was about money, not playing time.
What a ****ing corrupt shill for the squealers organization she is.

Finally, that ***** uses Harrison saying how he asked to be released as proof backing up what she said.

FYI, her husband is a Squealers season ticket holder. So obviously she's a squealer fan too and shilling for the squealers.

Sore loser reporters and sore loser organization. That's why they'll never be winners. So pathetic!

Last edited:
@lillloyd What's your take on Aditi Kinkhabwala putting out the story that James Harrison's playing time stunted Jarvis Jones growth?

And what is your take on Villaneuva. He seemed to get beat a few times against the Pats. Was this an anomaly or is he overrated?

Edit: Now she's saying Arthur Moats was even better off the ball than Harrison. She pointed out how it turned out as they gave Watt reps that Watt was better in coverage so it was another reason Harrison didn't get snaps. Which makes no sense since I'm sure anyone knew you didn't want Harrison in coverage before Watt even took any snaps.

She said Harrison playing as well as he did destroyed Jarvis Jones confidence. So that's why they gave Dupree and Watt all the 1st team reps. Lol what? What kind of weak organization is this?

Last edited:
Anyone have an opinion on how well Harrison can set the edge? Is it a strength of his?

Sooooooooo... what you're saying is that the Steelers franchise, fans and team (and coaches) are now embroiled in a major distraction that will take time, focus and effort away from preparing for the matter at hand, ultimately resulting in the team being less likely to be fully prepared and focused for their first playoff game.

And all it cost us was 1 game's worth of vet minimum contract?

And we even get whatever's left of James Harrison for that game and the playoffs into the bargain?

Sign me up baby! This is perfect. I'm so sick of the Steelers matchup I can't wait to see someone else in the AFCCG this year and now it looks like happening. Hallefreakinglujah

I think Harrison is going to take some plays designed for Hightower.

Finally, that ***** uses Harrison saying how he asked to be released as proof backing up what she said.

FYI, her husband is a Squealers season ticket holder. So obviously she's a squealer fan too and shilling for the squealers.

Whoa Wheelman! It's the holidays man. Your team is 12-3 and likely to win its 6th Super Bowl in 17 years in a few weeks. Life is good!

Most national reporters aren't very good; the local beat writers are far better. Aditi Kinkhabwala is no exception here.

Re/ being a 'shill' for the Steelers: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe