PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakob Johnson: Patriots to stop using fullback

nextsuperstar

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
In an article in Germany Jakob Johnson explained that he left New England because the Patriots informed him they would no longer be utilizing his position.

The original German if you want it:

I think it's Josh who loved the traditional FB. I think Bill favors the TE and when he's had a FB without OC Josh I think it's tended to be more of a pass catching FB Larry Centers comes to mind.
Was gonna say something along these lines too. I noticed the Develin era started almost exactly when Josh came back from the Rams, and we didn't use a fullback much (if at all) in the years immediately preceding that.

Without having looked at the stats, though, I feel like most of the best years rushing the ball in the Brady era were under McDaniels. It may not be a coincidence.

I think it's Josh who loved the traditional FB. I think Bill favors the TE and when he's had a FB without OC Josh I think it's tended to be more of a pass catching FB Larry Centers comes to mind.

It's a small sample size within the modern NFL era, but the year that O'Brien was the official OC (2011) they didn't have a FB. I mean, technically they had one (Polite) but he played 1 game all year. Granted, they had Gronk/Hernandez and a QB that could handle basically a fulltime spread offense, but there's definitely precedent for a BB coached team going sans FB.

Sad that they are dumping this part of the running game offense. Excited to see what comes next.

Last edited:
It's a small sample size within the modern NFL era, but the year that O'Brien was the official OC (2011) they didn't have a FB. I mean, technically they had one (Polite) but he played 1 game all year. Granted, they had Gronk/Hernandez and a QB that could handle basically a fulltime spread offense, but there's definitely precedent for a BB coached team going sans FB.

I believe the last couple of Charlie Weis offenses uses pass catching fullbacks in Larry Centers and Patrick Pass (guys that were very good receivers ). McDaniels in his more recent run used Devlin and in first period used Heath Evans who were lead blocking FB.

Bill O’Brien didn’t seem to use fullbacks much at all.

It’ll be interesting to see if they use the fullback as a pass catcher or a blocker now. Im guessing they go to more the two tightend single back formation, to better utilize their personnel.

Charlie was a little bit of both philosophies as he had the "catch" FBs like Centers and Patrick Pass but was also OK with Marc Edwards and Fred McCrary who basically had nothing left. He was also OK with 2TEs w/ Fauria and Danny Graham.

Charlie was a little bit of both philosophies as he had the "catch" FBs like Centers and Patrick Pass but was also OK with Marc Edwards and Fred McCrary who basically had nothing left. He was also OK with 2TEs w/ Fauria and Danny Graham.
I thought about Edwards and he didn't prove my point lol.

Maybe this is the year we see Dalton Keene hit the field? I thought he was supposed to be that TE/FB hybrid who could catch and block.

Year 3 is typically make or break for kids that haven't proven anything yet. Either it clicks and they carve out a role or they're gone. This would seem to be Keene's best opportunity, but it's not looking great for the kid IMO.

Year 3 is typically make or break for kids that haven't proven anything yet. Either it clicks and they carve out a role or they're gone. This would seem to be Keene's best opportunity, but it's not looking great for the kid IMO.

Yeah, tough to tell if he hasn’t found the field because of talent (not getting it) or injury or scheme… or a combination of the 3… expect we won’t find out until the preseason

Bill:
No more telegraphing plays.
Lot's more Jonnu
My kids think it's a great idea
So do all the failed ex-head coaches I hired on the cheap

I thought about Edwards and he didn't prove my point lol.
No your point still stands.

The main theme with Josh was he was OK with FBs who weren't really active in the passing game (Develin, Jakob, Evans).

Charlie wanted both (block and make plays in the passing game). Edwards was both.

Whereas BOB had no use whatsoever for the FB on any level.

Last edited:
No your point still stands.

A main theme with Josh was he was OK with FBs who weren't really active in the passing game (Develin, Jakob, Evans).

Charlie wanted both (block and make plays in the passing game). Edwards was both.

Whereas BOB had no use whatsoever for the FB on any level.

So the question this year is two-fold: Who is the primarily play designer for the offense in 2022, and what does this person think the role of the FB should be? In a way, this might be evidence that Nick Caley is taking a bigger role in the offense. His background being in TE's, he will likely look to emphasize them a little more in his designs.

Sad that they are dumping this part of the running game offense. Excited to see what comes next.

I'm also sad... but Not excited.

Little Billy should've kept Ben Mason.

And I thought our Genius was zigging with the Power game while the rest of the league was zagging with the Run 'n Shoot?

Our WRs ****ing suck... and he wants to put More of them on the field at the same time?!?

Shula & Papa Bear be sipping' Mai-Tai's...

I hope the Pats go back to multiple offense in the sense that they can run multiple formations with the same personnel grouping on the same drive.

When the Pats lined up in the I formation everyone knew they were going to run it. My hope is that this year the Pats are better able to keep defenses guessing.

I'm also sad... but Not excited.

Little Billy should've kept Ben Mason.

And I thought our Genius was zigging with the Power game while the rest of the league was zagging with the Run 'n Shoot?

Our WRs ****ing suck... and he wants to put More of them on the field at the same time?!?

Shula & Papa Bear be sipping' Mai-Tai's...
If the Pats want Ben Mason back they can likely steal him off the next practice squad he ends up on, looks like the Ravens... it will be the 4th practice squad he'll land on. He hasn't played a regular season game yet, and FB's aren't exactly in high demand, seems like a decent prospect though.

The Pats didn't use a FB prior to Develin for years, they used Aaron Hernandez or another TE back there. Somehow the running game didn't suffer as long as the blocking and RB was good. The Pats have good depth at TE assuming the young guys develop, Jonnu is better utilized as an H-Back who can be moved around. Mac has to improve, the blocking has to be more consistent, the play calling has to be better.

Everybody on the Patriot's sucks, every player everywhere else is great... we get it.

Take your meds.

Whatever meds you're on, you need to change the prescription... You're losing your vision, and your objectivity.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back